It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting events with United Airlines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yesterday I was returning home from a TDY in Nebraska (their Army Air Ambulance unit needed an inspection) and for those that have recently doubted existence of military authenticity it was a USAMMA trip to company C of the 2-135th GSAB.
Anyway, in Lincoln, prior to the flight, there was an announcement to use the restroom before getting on the plane. They stated a lightbulb had burned out in the lav and due to safety concerns, no one was permitted to use it.
No big deal.

In Denver, where I had a 2 hour layover, I waited in the United terminal and heard the same announcement for another flight to a different location.
Again, odd, but no big deal.

So my flight to Salt Lake City gets ready, and yes, they make the same announcement, AGAIN.

When I got to Salt Lake, got on the shuttle to go home, was talking about this to another passenger, and he stated that they did the same thing on the first leg of his trip from Kansas.

My question is, how many airlines does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Or was there something else going on that we didn't know about.

Just something curious.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by mikerussellus]

[edit on 29-8-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
wow.... that is wierd

maybe they were transporting an alien in the bathroom LOL
using private jets is just getting too expensive

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

I just thought it strange, is all. I was imagining terrorist exercises, but what would the toilet prevent some nut job from doing?

Other than the obvious. . . .

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Well this should certainly be investigated further

Its beyond coincidence I would say ??

And why the loos ??
The lightbulb thing is rubbish.

now you flush things down loos---obviously !

But if an airline toilet becomes blocked for some reason, it can start a fire aboard the plane.
So I wonder if intelligence has picked up on any sort of plan relating to this ??

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Any knowledge regarding which type of plane(s) were affected? For instance were they Canadair RJ's or 737's or A320's?
I only ask because the smaller planes only have one lavy but even a 737 has two in the rear and one in the front if I'm not mistaken, with some even having a 4th near middle.
it would be odd to have a larger jet with all lavatories malfunctioning.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
maybe theres a shortage of that blue toilet liquid so to cut costs they make up a story that the toilets are having an issue?
very odd that multiple flights pulled the same stunt. Money saving thing or something else?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
maybe theres a shortage of that blue toilet liquid so to cut costs they make up a story that the toilets are having an issue?
very odd that multiple flights pulled the same stunt. Money saving thing or something else?

Its the toilet blocking thing---I'd put money on it !!

50p says I'm right

Bet you did'nt know as well, that the oxygen masks in the cockpit are different to the passengers oxygen

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I find this VERY VERY suspicious. A couple years ago, during my flight attendant days, this would have been a very minor problem to fix. Maintenance could have been in there and fixed the problem within two minutes and the flight probably wouldn't have even been delayed at all. As you said, one plane wouldn't be suspicious, but with that many... something's not kosher. So, unless there's a major shortage of light bulbs for plane lavs, I'd say something's up. I do know that with our planes, there was only a very thin piece of wall between the lav and the luggage compartments of the planes and that is what makes me wonder... maybe they have something stored back there that they don't want the passengers to come in contact with.

Very very strange. I doubt that you checked, but were the lavs locked? I assume they were since passengers were told not to use them. What kind of jets were you on? Do you know if the United flights you were on were operated by another Holding company such as Republic Airways, etc?

I still have many friends in the airline business. The mother of one of my friends is a flight attendant for United, so maybe I can get some info.

[edit on 8/29/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
now you flush things down loos---obviously !

But if an airline toilet becomes blocked for some reason, it can start a fire aboard the plane.
So I wonder if intelligence has picked up on any sort of plan relating to this ??

Really? Do you have any reports of fires starting on commercial aircraft due to a plugged toilet?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Bet you did'nt know as well, that the oxygen masks in the cockpit are different to the passengers oxygen...

Only if they haven't read anything I post.

Folks....*sigh*....as another post mentioned, if it's a larger jet (B737, A319, A320 etc) then there are at LEAST three lavatorys.

Fact that the OP mentioned "the" Lav...indicates it was a Regional Jet, and that means it was NOT being operated by United Airlines, but by one of its contract carriers.

Also, if you haven't noticed, on larger jets there is a regular light in the Lav, and then a second light illuminates when the door lock is slid to "Locked". Usually these lights are flourescent, BTW.

On the RJs?? Usually two lights too. Depends on airplane.

Why block the Lav? My guess, the airline is being cheap. Short flights, less ground servicing (dumping the 'honeybucket'...) and so forth.

OH! The Oxygen?

Pilots have special masks that are selectable from 100% oxygen versus a mix....100% is for smoke situations. (We also have goggles onboard, to complete the ensemble). It also provides a positive pressure flow. The mix position selection is just for when supplemental O2 when needed, such as in a decompression situation. They are also designed to be 'quick-donning', with only one hand, in about one second.

And, they are supplied by a tank of presurized O2.

Passengers' masks are connected to 'oxygen generators', a cannister containing chemicals that, when combined, produce as a by-product....oxygen. The cannister will produce O2 for about 15 minutes, maximum, before the chemical reaction is done. You will be out of danger, at a lower altitude, within about 5 minutes tops, in a decompression scenario. For most people, below 18,000 MSL is adequate.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I have friends on the airlines, I'll try and get that info for you on which flight it happened on.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, all conspiracy theories aside. Most likely it was just to save the airline money. If the lav is unused, it does not need servicing, and there's no cost. Servicing lavs cost them money.

Ta-DA! Economics at work.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
listen to Weedwhacker......He's been there and done it many times....

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Really? Do you have any reports of fires starting on commercial aircraft due to a plugged toilet?

Older airplanes had these large "flush motors" that were there to pump the fluid, and also macerate the...solids.

IF the pump motor became jammed, it had the potential to overheat, and that could cause fires. The circuit breakers are supposed to take care of that, by removing electricity before it gets that far....but, like anything Hunans design, it's never perfect.

You'll notice now, more modern designs are the vacuum flush. In flight, it uses the simple fact of the pressure differential between the cabin and outside...on the ground, there is a small electirc pump to produce the pressure change needed...but it can't get jammed by debris, as it's outside the holding tank.

try this website: www.airsafe.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Those with knowledge of airport maintainance may know the answer. Could the problem be fear of handling human waste because of the "Flu Scare".

If not that I think it is a cost saving measure. I am sure airlines are really hurting in this recession/depression and are cutting every cost they can think of.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Well, SpacePunk, I'll give you that. Could be a real possibility. If it's something as simple as that, I'll find out for sure. Trying to contact several of my friends right now to see if they've heard anything about dark lavs, lol.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Any knowledge regarding which type of plane(s) were affected? For instance were they Canadair RJ's or 737's or A320's?
I only ask because the smaller planes only have one lavy but even a 737 has two in the rear and one in the front if I'm not mistaken, with some even having a 4th near middle.
it would be odd to have a larger jet with all lavatories malfunctioning.

Smaller planes with one lav that I was on.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Thanks, just found it curious. Didn't try the locks, and haven't heard anything else about something like this.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Flight 6067 United
and 6351 United

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
Well, all conspiracy theories aside. Most likely it was just to save the airline money. If the lav is unused, it does not need servicing, and there's no cost. Servicing lavs cost them money.

Ta-DA! Economics at work.

Occam's Razor.

It makes sense.

Thanks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join