It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

but the question is? which one you going out the door and through the woods with. you're only allowed one per the OPs designation.

the only weapon i see you have in your arsenal that you might get more ammo in the field with is the 9mm. you better add a 22
edit on 29-11-2010 by aliengenes because: doodle

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Ruger 10/22 this is survival not toe to toe war fair, so I will be long gone, with all I can carry before any one notices.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

This is a nice thought exercise, but I always have my nine on my person, I always have my go bag with the .357 and the 12 ga in my van. So in all honesty I only have to grab the rifle on the way out the door

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
A twenty-two full auto drum-fed machine gun with selective fire (single round, 3 burst, and rock in roll auto)

It will kill small animals for food in single fire, and make aggressors keep their heads down in rock and roll full auto - they won't know wtf you are shooting, but you can shoot a lot at them. The ammo is light and cheap for before hand purchase, and light to carry in the field.
edit on 29-11-2010 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

I currently have ten thousand rounds that I can comfortably carry for my "off the grid" weapons

I do not intend on seeing the love of my life raped or starved to death.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Nice, that is a .22 I could get onboard with. Where can I pick one up at?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

What about belt fed

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

What about belt fed

I like the portability of a drum fed auto, and it's a helluva lot easier to reload.

My vision of use is to have a weapon that can help you live off the critters you shoot without blowing all the meat off of them, and yet get you the hell outta dodge in a situation.

No sustained fire-fights. If I were planning for a sustained fire-fight I'd be looking at .30 or .50 cal.

You break full auto on some guys with deer rifles and I'd bet they'd keep their heads down long enough to let you slip away. Nobody is counting calibers when their faces are in the dirt, and again my game is to evade and not confront.

If you run out of ammo, .22 LR is probably the easiest to find when scrounging - nobody seems to take them seriously - but a cyclic of 400 rounds a minute definitely will change some attitudes.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Nice, that is a .22 I could get onboard with. Where can I pick one up at?

You can find them online. Your local gundealer can probably get them.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stone2065

Personally, I would look to either a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch model... for the following reasons:

Ammo-Again, pessimistic me, is assuming that the reason for this rifle is post crash. There are literally hundreds of thousands of government/military rifles out there that shoot 5.56/.223 ammo... so I'll have a ton of it to draw off of.

The alternative to this, if you're planning on staying in a large city, and surviving off of what's there (Wal-Marts that have been abandoned, etc.) then would go with a Mossberg 12ga. Preferably a 590, (the current model that the military is using so much of that they're hard to get on the open market) but any of the 500 series would do fine. For those that love the Remington pumps, personally, I have a jamming problem with them. How? Call me weird if you like, but I have been known to pump them too fast, causing the live shell to impact on the top of the chamber face. Bad JuJu in a firefight. I have NEVER had this problem with a Mossberg, because of the feed angle. If you look at a friend's Mossberg pump (can't readily do this at a shop... they'll have a fit) while you slowly jack a live round or at least a snap cap into the chamber, you will see that the round comes in at a nearly flat angle, like loading an artillery piece. Again though... personal preference.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by Stone2065]

I second the Ruger Mini-14, a great weapon. I have really been eye balling the new Mini-30 7.62x39mm Tactical.

www.ruger.com...

I have never had that problem, my 20 year old Remington 870 Magnum Express shoots as fast as I can rack the slide (pretty fast with practice in fact I can shoot a full tube of rounds out of my 870 as an 1100 (a little bit of difference but hardly enough to justify the semi auto models ( had to many problems with lighter and heavier loads not liking to cycle properly). The 590A1 is a very good shotgun with Mil spec components with tighter tolerances than the 500s (regular 500s have a sloppy action IMO) plus the heavy barrel and combat ghost ring sights are extremely nice.

If I had to choose one gun and only one gun it would be a 12 gauge pump action shotgun as they have such a wide range of uses with just an ammo swap.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
marlin 60 .22 for me . its not overly long , its accurate out the bag, 15 rounds in the tube magazine. semi auto , and with practice and a scope should be good for 200 yds. dont forget that .22 ammo is everywhere and inexpensive

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just get ahold of a nuclear warhead!
NO ONE will want to mess with you then : ) but fo course, it would be impossible to lug and court it around with you, but hey! at least EVERYONE and thier mother, including the crazies wouldnt mess with ya

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Got to go with either the .308 which is relatively easy to find ammo for or for some of that extra punching power .338 Lapua both are easy to tote and relatively easy to learn how to use properly and clean. Bolt action over auto is my opinion. But then again I go for the school of thought, if it doesn't involve you don't get involved in a survival situation. Others who think other wise may go for full auto who don't think that way.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It all depends on your mentality, what your fantasy of survival mean and your location.

Do you live on Kodiak Island?

New york?

In the Ozarks?

In a swamp?

My idea of survival is 99.9% feeding the family.

We have mountain lions & black bears here but am not worried about them as attacks are so rare.

Main menu would be: squirrel, rabbit, chipmunk, snake, small deer.

So the answer to your question would be: My Ruger 10/22 & I can carry 1000 rounds too easy

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I love all the peeps saying this one and that one but know one is asking where ya gona get the ammo for that one ? you gona stock pile enough for the next xx years ? how ya gona move all that if you need to relocate ?

how about a flint lock you can pack it full of rocks if need be you can make your on black powder for it and you can all ways find flint.

can you do that with any new wizbang made in the last 100 years rifle ?

NO

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I like the idea of carrying a trusty .45 revolver in a SHTF situation. Powerful, reliable, small. But how can you defend yourself against someone with an automatic weapon. Not likely to survive unless you get lucky. I guess the bigger your gun the better your chances. Anything less than an AK47 would leave you vulnerable. Then again, I know relatively little about guns.

So, am I right or wrong?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Im a gun fanatic and there's lots of guns I'd love to own but only 1 that I can think of that could stand the test of time and continue to function in the worst conditions. To protect me I'd trust my life with the newer HK-416.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Thats really awesome, maybe not the most devistating but definatly mobile and still deadly

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Don't know if it's been said yet, but probably best to list the requirements, and THEN make your choice.

I'd want something:

1. Reliable
Sturdy, easy to repair (and find/make parts), will fire more than jam, good when wet, etc.

2. Affordable
You have to be able to buy it.

3. Compatible
Able to use a common ammo type, common to other weapons, and can use accessories (scopes, etc.)

4. Useful
Vs. both man and for hunting

5. Portable
Must be easy to carry

6. Familiar
Must practice with it and have it as second nature BEFORE anything happens.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I like the idea of carrying a trusty .45 revolver in a SHTF situation. Powerful, reliable, small. But how can you defend yourself against someone with an automatic weapon. Not likely to survive unless you get lucky. I guess the bigger your gun the better your chances. Anything less than an AK47 would leave you vulnerable. Then again, I know relatively little about guns.

So, am I right or wrong?

It's not the size of your gun,it's how you use it! Actually a lot of truth to this. If you happen to have a weapon of limited capacity or power, it's in your best interest to avoid gunfights with heavily armed opponents.Actually, I guess that would be advisable under all circumstances! Anyway, the guy with the biggest gun doesn't automatically win. The guy who uses his head,stays cool and shoots straight wins. Give a guy an AK with a 30 round mag and let him open up on full auto at a man size target at 50 yards. Most guys won't hit #. Same guy with a lever action 30-30 will likely fill it full of holes in short order.
Fact of the matter is you will likely never need to engage a gang of armed assailants with your firearm. Most likely the gun will be used to try to secure food and to act as a deterent to those who would harm you or steal from you. Therefore, I think you should chose your gun accordingly. Would you attack or steal from someone because they "only" had a .22 or single shot 12 guage? In a true SHTF situation,you cannot afford to be wounded. Look at the behaviour of animals in the wild; they will posture,growl snarl and show teeth as much as possible before resorting to fighting. They know that even a relatively minor injury can spell the end for them. Take a lesson from the animals and avoid conflict. In a relatively short time, those individuals who think having a big gun means they win will all be dead and the you can move about more freely.
I have a safe full of guns to chose from, but I would not be concerned at all if I could only have my bolt action .22. I'd like to have my shotgun, 1911, my .270 and maybe my .356 and 375 as well but I wouldn't feel like I "need" them.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
22 mag pistol with a detachable rifle stock is all you need, along with a lens. or cut down a 22 mag rifle that takes a clip. lightweight ammo that you can carry 500 or better rounds, and has high enough velocity that can take out a deer at 300 yards, plus you can shoot 22 long rifle through it with an insert.

you don't want to run out of ammo in an emergency, and most other weapons ammo are just too bulky and weigh too much to pack while on the move. Seriously

the only other comparable fire arm is the Fn p-90 5.7x28, but most of us aren't going to want to spend that kind of money and the ammo cant be found everywhere

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join