It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yes I know not another survival rifle thread but after having read the other ones, them being a little out of date, and most importantly swaying off of the topic of only having one gun and it being a rifle or shotgun.

I dont want to seem like bossing anyone around but I really do believe that a survival rifle is as mandatory as a method to start fire. When shtf and lets just say for arguments sake you can only grab one gun and it has to be a rifle or shotgun, (ie no pistols, crossbows etc) what would you want to grab? Remember you can only take one, not 3 different guns for different purposes, just one.

Now yes there are many different types of survival situations out there such as being lost in woods or small plane crash in middle of no where, or collapse of society and trying to survive make it out of suburban/urban area etc.

But for the purposes of this thread lets think of that one gun that you would want if you where going to be tossed in a survival situation but didnt know what kind, so you had one choice of the rifle or shotgun you want then would be thrown into the situation.

I have been looking and I have been banging my head against the wall, bc there are so many good ones out there and its a hard choice, but again in a realistic quick grab your bob and rifle(or have rifle in bob if you think thats a big plus) and get the hell out before you die trying to load up your car with every gun you own for just in case, what would be the one and only rifle shotgun you would want?

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh yea some of the ones I was considering are.

Kel-tec su-16c or b model.

springfield m6

sks assault rifle

Harrington and Richardson survival rifle in .308 caliber

mossberg 500 pistol grip tactical 12 gauge

I am leaning to the kel-tec but not yet 100% sure of its reliability to take a beating and still keep working like how an sks would take.

But as of right now I would say the kel-tek su 16, but am very open to being persuaded to something else.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
All of the scenarios are different so it's a difficult question to answer. I'd want a much different gun if I was in the woods alone somewhere than if I were trying to leave a city after a major collapse.

I'm going to blasted for this but I believe a .22 is probably going to be your best all around firearm. Lightweight, light ammo (you can carry a lot), easy maintenance, relatively quiet, low recoil, can be fired with one hand (people do get wounded in combat), etc. The collapsable Henry survival rifle is issued to Air Force pilots I think and the Marlin Papoose can also be taken apart and stuffed in a bag. They're just about impossible to find though, I've asked every shop in my town and none can order it for me.

I wouldn't take one into a firefight but for general survival you can't go wrong with a .22.

Personally, I have an AR15 by my BOB (with repair parts and CLP) but I still wouldn't want an extended firefight with it. If you know you're going to have a rough go of it (meaning heavy combat), then .308 is the only way to go.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by wills120]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I have a beautiful spanish 12 gauge. Double barrel, very short, comes apart and fits nicely in a duffel bag. Depending on the situation of the 'shtf', for personal protection, I would LIKE to choose that one. (mainly because it makes a definite statement..haha) But I think my Colt .45 acp would be a more common sense pick.
. . Having to survive in the woods I would take my Savage 24V-A .222rem/20ga Over under. It's a bit bulky and not easy to conceal, but makes good bush survival.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I have a beautiful spanish 12 gauge. Double barrel, very short, comes apart and fits nicely in a duffel bag. Depending on the situation of the 'shtf', for personal protection, I would LIKE to choose that one. (mainly because it makes a definite statement..haha) But I think my Colt .45 acp would be a more common sense pick.
. . Having to survive in the woods I would take my Savage 24V-A .222rem/20ga Over under. It's a bit bulky and not easy to conceal, but makes good bush survival.

Friend I appreciate your comment but please read that this thread is meant as a way of finding that one rifle or shotgun that is versatile enough to be used effectivley no matter the situation. So whether you are in the woods or looking to defend against two legged foe the one gun, that you would want next to you. Obviously many guns will have pro and cons dependent on the situation but thats the point of the thread is coming up with one gun who has enough pros to help you survive no matter what the sit.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, this topic is past tense for me....here was my choice based on the following factors:

1. Familiarity - I was a lifer Army guy, so I know this weapon like the back of my hand and can damn near hit anything and everything at 300 yards and less.

2. Affordability - The model I chose was just under $1,000 ($985.00 to be exact)....Considering all the options and incurred costs that I knew I would have to be responsible for, I wasn't able to go much higher.

3. Accessibility - This weapon can shoot either 5.56 or .223, so it gives me more options...and .223 is not too expensive, particularly when you buy in bulk.

4. Durability - With a bottle of CLP, this baby will not fail, and maintains itself well with little maintenance. Most of the parts are very common, so any replaceable parts needed would not be difficult to obtain.

5. Functionability - Light weight, not long and bulky, can be effective in a multiple of firing positions. Upper and lower receiver collapse easily, so could be transported invisibly in needed. Also good for hunting any type of game.

In addition, I put on a 3-9X42 IR scope on this bad boy (gives you magnification options for almost any firing situation), also attached a mag light, and a front handle for the upper receiver for a better standing firing position.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by OnTheFelt]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

I can get the henry survival rifle ar7 pretty easily in NY, but having handled it I didnt really care for it much, its to flimsy and I think its accuracy is lacking.

For me its the springfield m6 thats next to impossible to find.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

Friend I appreciate your comment but please read that this thread is meant as a way of finding that one rifle or shotgun that is versatile enough to be used effectivley no matter the situation. So whether you are in the woods or looking to defend against two legged foe the one gun, that you would want next to you. Obviously many guns will have pro and cons dependent on the situation but thats the point of the thread is coming up with one gun who has enough pros to help you survive no matter what the sit.

My bad.
Colt .45 acp. I would choose that one.
It can be utilized in all situations effectively and efficiently, imo. Plus, I'm a fantastic shot with it.
Concealable, stopping power, 15 shot clip etc. That would be my pick.
It wouldn't make a great "distance" shooter, but I don't foresee many circumstances that would force that kind of situation on me.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Wow awesome reasons, and beautiful gun. I just went to the range this past weekend with my friend he has an ar 15 and it shoots very accurately. But we we where only at 100yds not 300!

I just dont know about their reliability if in a Forrest survival situation. With no oil.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
How about one of those Russian TP-82's (if your ever able to get hold of one!

It's the triple barreled thing they gave to the cosmonauts for survival after they land somewhere in Siberia... It fires pistol ammo - shotgun and flares - the stock it also a machete and there is probably fishing kit and other goodies stashed somewhere on it.

It is intended as a survival aid to be used after landings and before recovery in the Siberian wilderness. The upper two smoothbore barrels use 12.5 mm caliber ammunition, and the lower rifled barrel use 5.45 mm caliber ammunition. The pistol can be used for hunting, to defend against predators and for visual and auditory distress signals. The detachable buttstock is also a machete sheath.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'd have to take my Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun and of course my knife which will be in the bag with my gun or in my pocket with those two things I would feel comfortable.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Wow awesome reasons, and beautiful gun. I just went to the range this past weekend with my friend he has an ar 15 and it shoots very accurately. But we we where only at 100yds not 300!

I just dont know about their reliability if in a Forrest survival situation. With no oil.

I've gone as long as 60 days without reprieve in the deepest Panama jungle and had no issues. Yes, you need to do a daily PMC check, but that's just a toothbrush with a little CLP on the bristles and a quick hit to the bolt and bolt carrier.

I've seen lazy privates who totally neglected their M4s and still it never failed.

Trust me a medium to small sized container of CLP would last you months!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I can't think of who makes the gun off the top of my head but it was a break-action rifle that had two barrels, one in 30-30 and the other in 20 ga. Probably the best combination I have seen so far as you can do small game and fowl with the shotgun and take deer and other such animals with the 30-30. Another distinct perk is that its single-shot so you cant just flip out when stressed and pump a 30 round mag out and waste precious ammo.

Edit:

The gun I was thinking of is the Savage 24v from what I have managed to pull up, however the Savage site doesn't seem to contain any information about it unless they re branded it and I don't know what to look for.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by Helig]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
if i had just one rifle, hands down it would be 7.62mm AK-47.
they are the glocks of assault rifles and will fire in just about any condition. plus 7.62 is one of the most common rounds used in assault rifles so it should be very easy to "find" additional ammo.

1 glock, 1 ak, 1 shotgun (12 ga), plus training (CQC, long range, pistol and hand to hand)=ready for just about anything.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hey, I almost made a thread about this recently, but just wasn't in to it.

The perfect survival rifle/shotgun??? What you have!!!

Now, I KNOW my guns.

I agree with the shotgunners above, but not with a mossberg. Reason? Mossberg gives a maximum lifespan on in the gaurantee.... Like Beretta. I think most Mossbergs' are good for something like 5000 rounds? Not too many imo. Still is good though.

Elmer kieth who was a famous wild catter gun dude shot over a million rounds through both an 870, and 1100 remingtons. Remingtons will last, and last.

I think a pump shotgun is better than an automatic because it will function without pause; they can be cycled as fast as an automatic with practice.

No gas seals to go out. Also, when you rack the shotgun it is a deterrent in of itself.........just the sound.

The types of rounds available for shotguns are amazing. AMAZING. bird shot, buckshot, sabots, incendiery, ***explosive****, ***armor piercing***, slugs, rubber balls, rubber slugs, ***pepper***..........ETC.

They even have "short" shells available now. They are expensive, but where your shotgun tube would hold 5 shots, now it'll hold say 8. I guess the first round in the tube needs to be a regular length shell in many automatics as you end up with a jam.

Rifles???? only if your sniping someone; how many of you know how to find your range, elevation, windage, effects of climate, sun, rain, fog, etc????????? Not many. I used to compete in DCM competitions.... Let me tell you shooting at 600 yds., or farther takes skill, and lots of PRACTICE.

Also with the automatics of any shape rifle, shotgun, handgun are issues with especially COLD. At best you'd need to change your lube over to a dry graphite(sp). Otherwise they will not function; they'll freeze up.

I carry a either a pump shotgun in the truck, or I carry a 1911a1; however in the winter(up north) I make sure that the 1911 is warm....it freezes up!!!!!!......... That presents the other problem of condensation; which leads to rust.

Talking about survival guns you'd better keep it in good ***operating**** condition.

Beyond the shotgun, my other preference as noted above would be a 22 rimfire.........maybe a 10/22.

Solely imo AR's aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Looking at ballistic reports of wounds from 223/5.56, .308/7.62, or the 7.62X39 I'd have to go with the latter ever time. The 223 doesn't do that much damage to a body overall(combinations of spin, and bullet weight can change that), .308 are expensive, great for moderate long range, but don't have enough wobble to fubar someone..........go to the 7.62x39 holy cr*p...fubar city. I was jaw dropped at seeing the terminal nature of the round.

After you iron out all the little fine points of any akm/arm/ak47 They make a fine rifle.

My choice for survival is a remington 870 12 guage. carrying buck, and bird shot.

after that in order would be:

Ruger 10/22

ak 47

1911 pistol, or glock******glocks are very picky about needing fmj, and I wouldn't recommend reloads.

Oh, star, and flag

[edit on 3-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I like Remingtons myself. Built to last and last and last. Medium to heavy weight but they are heavy for a reason. Again, to last! I got a couple variations of the 700 series, most recently a desert recon. I'm not a great shot but I could take out a tennis ball at the end of a football field if dialed in right. That's the hard part, dialing in.

ANYTHING in a 308! At least for short term. The long range capability is incomparable in a fairly compact rifle. 223 is good too.

.308, in my opinion is fantastic for long range or short. Go for the center of gravity and it will never get up again, that is, anything smaller than a buffalo. The rounds pierce DEEP and, with the right point, will mash the inside of the target like stirfry. Non concrete walls are no obstacle for these rounds. You could take out multiple targets if lined up single file, with the one shot.

The rounds are quite heavy but if you find yourself in a situation needing more than 100 rounds, your odds of making it out of there by the time you squeeze off 20 rounds are, at best, extremely slim. Long range ability is INSANE in this round. Drawback is that the rifles usually only take 5 or 6 rounds at a time, though there are many solutions to that.

My second pick would be a well made 22 target rifle. Low maintenance, low wear, super duper light shots that are good for long or short range, ability to carry 1000 rounds in a back pack, easily, if needed, only one hand necessary!

All in all, any 308 "700 series" Remington makes me fuzzy inside.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wills120
I'm going to blasted for this but I believe a .22 is probably going to be your best all around firearm. Lightweight, light ammo (you can carry a lot), easy maintenance, relatively quiet, low recoil, can be fired with one hand (people do get wounded in combat), etc. The collapsable Henry survival rifle is issued to Air Force pilots I think and the Marlin Papoose can also be taken apart and stuffed in a bag. They're just about impossible to find though, I've asked every shop in my town and none can order it for me.

I wouldn't take one into a firefight but for general survival you can't go wrong with a .22.

I would have to agree with you. I have a marlin Papoose along with a few other assorted 22s. Cheap ammo, small ammo, and deadly ammo. One well placed shot is as good as any weapon. You have to think about how much room and weight you are willing to spare. I can hunt small game and protect the family. And if an empty can of beans tries to attack, I got something for his ass.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Yep, I like 308's as well. Many people like the 700 series, but I've got reservations with the safety actually being on the trigger, rather than on firing pin... as it is. I personally like more of a mauser action.

Also, .303 british took down more large african game than any other caliber........so a 308 will kill just about anything.

To explain why I picked a shotgun as oppossed to a high powered rifle is as you pointed out..........penetration. I can get a slug, or even a sabot armor piercing shotgun round, but in a home, like my home, I don't want the bullet going all the way through the house; into the next house, or person.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I like a 22, but am in black bear, grizzly bear, and cougar country much of the year. I'd rather if need be, then be able to stop one of those critters.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Either My Romanian SAR-1 or my Mossy 500

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/52a02183bb66c534.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join