It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of thousands to lose unemployment benefits

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bachfin
reply to post by ShadowMaster

This is the part i dont get. Ok so like in America you guys only get your welfare/unemployment money for a set peroid of time after you lose your job?

just asking because its not like that in Australia and EU here you just keep getting benifits untill you get a job even it that takes 10 years...

Well here in the US that is called welfare, and you have to qualify for it.

Usually only women with children qualify for welfare.

Men are told to go work, or live under the bridge.

That is why even here in Oklahoma that is doing better than 47 other
states unemployment wise we have "thousands" of homeless and it
has taken many years for the city to admit it.

Thousands of homeless just in OKC

The homeless here are discouraged from coming out into the public
by the police so they will not be seen.

The homeless don't want any trouble for the most part so they
oblige and stay out of sight except for a few that come out an
panhandle at certain locations that get less enforcement.

Here in Oklahoma our unemployment rules are more strict than
most of the nation, after 10 weeks you have to take a job
flipping burgers even if you have never done it and it will not
support your mortgage or bills.

Also even if you paid into unemployment insurance for a decade
and paid in a HUGE amount the max check is just a few hundred dollars.

So even if you worked just long enough to get unemployment
and was paid at a high rate, you would never even get the money
you paid in back.

You GOT TO LOVE that crap right there.

So basically ...it is just another frickin tax.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Boo-hoo,

I am 56 years old, live in the US. and have had a job since I was 9. I did this by choice. I felt at an early age, that in order to fulfill my obligation to be a self-supporting organism on this planet, that I would need to use the intellect and abilities I was born with to attain the skills and education necessary to support myself and my family regardless of economic environment.

I achieved this seeking and taking the best employment available at the time. I would then increase my skillset by observing and learning the trades of those around me. I joined the US military at 18 and scored high on aptitude exams due not only to natural ability, but also because of the skills gained from previous employment. I was selected to attend Aircraft Electrician training. Afterward, I gained aircraft mechanic and sheetmetal skills taught to me by my co-workers. One would be amazed at how eager a person is to teach an interested individual his trade. While in the military, I was married, had 3 children and became certified through self study as an FAA certified aircraft mechanic.

Since that time, I held civilian jobs as Aircraft Electrician, Aircraft Mechanic, Commercial Electrician, Watchmaker, Jewelry Design & manufacturer, Hydraulics mechanic, Pneumatic systems mechanic, mobile telephone installer and Electronics technician. After losing a job at the peak of my chosen profession due to the company closing, I founded a business that filled a niche I had been aware of. The business grew to 75 employees in the next 10 years.

I sold the business at 43 and retired only to be hit by the stockmarket collapse after 9/11. Years later, I am building another business that has even greater potential.

Throughout my life I have never even considered applying for welfare or unemployment. Except for one period in my life, I have always had at least 2 jobs. When one went bad, I made the other my primary job and began searching for another to replace it.

I would like to see the present welfare and unemployment system phased out except for people with mental or physical handicaps that prevent employment.

I would like to see the welfare money saved put into government sponsored vocational and community college programs. In order to qualify, you would need to submit to routine drug testing and maintain a satisfactory grade point average. Then and only then would welfare monies be made available.

Unemployment funds would be made available only after a person could not be placed in an existing position. If no civilian position were available,a person desiring unemployment benefits would be placed in one of many jobs available through federally sponsored programs picking up trash, paving streets, cleaning vacant lots and dilapidated properties, new construction, etc.

There are jobs available everywhere. Most times, these jobs are not exactly what one is looking for, but a job nonetheless.

The federal and state governments need to remove incentives for a person to be on welfare. We should stop paying to support women with multiple welfare "kids". We should stop giving money to able-bodied men without them contributing labor.

Just my thoughts. Get off your butt and find something to do, it is all around you.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
My wife and I have a friend who has been unemployed for going on two years now. I'm not sure if she is on welfare or unemployment or what. She has no desire to look for a job. Refuses to really budget and sacrifice. She lives the lap of luxury while being unemployed. I.e. hangs out at the beach when she's board, socializes with her friends. It really pisses us off while we are working, paying taxes etc. But we live in CA so that explains everything! I thought unemployment benefits run out after a year?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachfin

That isn't true. I had a letter the other day telling me my Jobseekers payments will run out in January. It is based on National Insurance payments.
Unfortunately I worked from the age of 15 at various jobs, however, health issues always got in the way, which led to long bouts on unemployment (most of which I did NOT sign on for, rather supported myself on savings, hence my deficit in NI contributions). I had to leave my last job as an archaeologist in Nov 2007, due to my health. It took over a year to get a diagnosis, and then a 6 month wait for an operation, then a few more months for recovery.

I have been trying desperately to find work. In the last 3 weeks I have applied for over 20 jobs, in varying fields, from cleaner to office work. I've not had ONE interview to date.

Luckily I am leaving the country in 3 months, (going to live in Cali with my fiancee) but I am still very anxious and worried about the future, for myself and for everyone. I have to rely on my fiancee to support me untill we are married and I can legally work.

It is not a good feeling. Self-confidence and self-worth is taking a battering

My fiancee told me that there were riots when KFC ran out of chicken once. I can't imagine what stopping of benefits will cause, although it looks like I might have a front-row seat.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mizzu

I do work, and like you I scored well on the AFQT/ASVAB testing
or whatever it was in your Era.

I was selected to go into nuclear power school, and I turned it down
because I heard about the drop out rate and I have learning disabilities.

I believe as Clint says a man needs to know his limitations.

I am not dumb, but I am not a quick learner, and I can be distracted
by a moth flying by, but sometimes I can remember weird things
like part numbers 20 years later.

So I went into Guided Missile RADAR, and I did pretty good, but my
biggest problem has always been getting along with ppl not the gear.

So I did my time and got the hell out, and went into Electronics,
Biomed Electronics, Telecom, Networking, PC Support, Server Support,
and now just work part time.

My house is paid for, as are my vehicles.

I paid cash for them all.

Never been on welfare, I recv'd unemployment that I paid for out
of my check for about 9 weeks back when clinton pushed his
health care and the bio med companies all laid ppl off.

I speak of the homeless here in OKC as someone of compassion
not as someone of pride like yourself.

I agree the welfare system is crap and needs to be changed,
but I am not 100% sure it can be eliminated without some serious
problems.

I like Lincoln's phrase A hand up, not a hand out, ie. I'd rather
see them offer jobs and training then a check to sit at home
and make more children.

It is a moot point though, we are starring total collapse in the face.

You have a LOT to be proud of, but like a lot of ppl here you look
down your nose at ppl that do not have the abilities you and I were
born with and you blame them for their plight.

We are all suppose to be equal under the law, but it is obvious some
are slow or not as bright, and could not do Trig if a gun was pointed
at there head.

I will admit some are lazy and worthless, and they are easy enough
to discern, but not all of them are lazy.

You have my sincere admiration for your accomplishments.

I have moved past that, my work no longer defines me.

So pride will carry you far with your peers, but it will not pay your dues
if there is an after life or if you just want some peace of mind.

Good Luck !

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hey Chewlip You don't happen to be a marine archaeologist? We have been looking for one for a while now. If You are one look up Tesla Offshore in Baton Rouge Louisiana.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMaster

Originally posted by Kingfanpaul, Goodluck to any of you who are here that have benefits running out soon.

My benefit only paid my mortage. I was recieving $290 per wk. Unlike other Americans I had a savings and I was not behind on any bill. The credit card companies first whammy was to raise rates- not becasue I was behind- because I wasnt. In fact, I always pay more than the min and always early. No, because others did not.

I havent lost hope- but I am almost out of money.

I'm afraid your first mistake was continuing to pay your mortgage, and your second was to continue paying your credit card bills.

You should stop paying both immediately. All of that money is basically being sent to companies that are functionally insolvent and worthless to begin with. You are throwing your money away. Better to keep it for a rainy day, which appears that day has already come. It's sad to see people continue with their "responsible duties" as a "good" citizen and pay these bills, which, in the end, it isn't going to matter.

-- justin

[edit on 21-7-2009 by CUBD1]

[edit on 21-7-2009 by CUBD1]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

This is the part i dont get. Ok so like in America you guys only get your welfare/unemployment money for a set peroid of time after you lose your job?

just asking because its not like that in Australia and EU here you just keep getting benifits untill you get a job even it that takes 10 years...

The state I'm from they determine unemployment by how many years you have held a job. The longer you've held a job the longer you can draw unemployment. For our state it's to keep people from just plain not working and living off it. Now that being said last time I checked, about 10 years ago so maybe changed, you had to be employed for at least 6 months full time before you can even apply for it.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

I replied to your U2U.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mizzu

Very easy for you to say. Quite another for one todo. Yes- there are alot of low paying skill less jobs around. If I took one of those- I would make far less than what I need to make. I do qualify for retraining- but the benefit level is very low and I would be adding another bill that I do not need right now.

I am not on welfare and will not except it. I took Unemployment-never have taken that before. I should be able to take a little back for what I have paid for taxes.

I feel that the umelpoyment system needs to be reworked but should not be done away with- there are real ppl that are affected by this current situation and then there are others that take advantage of the system and they need to be dealt with as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spartak_FL

It actually varies from State to State. Like I live in florida. I pay no taxes whatsoever from my paycheck at all to the state. For each month I am employed, I am credited with 2 weeks of unemployment. The unemployment draws from a fund which is raised via a business sales tax.

So while I never paid into it at all. I will recieve it. In my opinion the system works great for something that costs me nothing while i am employed.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]

Spartak, sorry to point you out, but your selfish type of thinking is exactly what's wrong in the US today. Rather than developing an opinion based on fairness and equality, yours appears to be strictly based upon how it effects you alone? As long as someone else is forced to carry the burden of funding your unemployment, what care is it of yours? Not to worry though! Americans have taken up this selfish, "better you than me", attitude as if it were a new religion, so you are among thick company. Whatever happened to honor and decency in this country? What have Americans become when all evidence of moral value has disappeared from our culture, showing up occasionally, but only as talk? Have they no shame at all?

It's true in many states that most all of these financial burdens, such as unemployment, are carried on the backs of the little appreciated small businesses. The always forgotten small businesses, that happen to create most all of the jobs, are constantly bombarded with hidden taxes to fund these things! While Americans boldly step from neck to neck to raise themselves up, these small businesses are left struggling in their wake. At this moment, while they need support more than ever, still some will happily keep ignoring their plight as long as their selfish needs are being met? This will eventually haunt all Americans as the small businesses die away, the jobs die with them.

To give an example, I will share my personal experience caused by this unfairness that few seem to care about. Similar as you, I too worked as an auto mechanic, but I an auto body and paint repairer. I worked for other companies for 20 years with never more than a weeks gap between jobs. For 20 years I contributed to the Michigan unemployment fund, while never once using the service for myself. After 20 years I opened my own repair shop which requires small business owners to pay, not only a much greater unemployment tax requirement, but a second significant amount of funding towards workers compensation insurance.

Unfortunately, my overburdened small business was forced to close after 6 years. Closing my shop sent 6 employees into the unemployment system that I faithfully funded for 26 years without missing even a week! While, thankfully, they qualified to collect from this program, I as an owner most certainly did not? Though I paid into this program faithfully for 26 years, I was denied and couldn't collect one cent! I never needed this kind of help for all those years, but when I finally did, I was turned away?

This type of unfairness should never be accepted. Stand up for righteousness for everyone, not only yourself.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Spot on IMHO. I used to use the example of walking down the street and somebody passing by says "How's it going?" and if you were to reply "Terrible" they might be buoyed by this and feel better about themselves. In America (and humanity in general) it's always ok as long as somebody is doing worse than you. You don't want to be the bottom of the financial or emotional barrel but feel better if somebody else is. It says a lot about how people work.

Everything is backwards. People are rewarded for doing bad vs good. A lie is the truth and the truth a lie. If you care and try you are trampled underfoot as others try to gain leverage off of you. What gets me is nobody seems to notice how bad it is. But that is humanity after all. Trying to create a false reality to suit one's vanity. Ignore all absolute truth for your own reality.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There are thousands that surf/lurk/read ATS

Why can't we do a job site here?

We're all over the frackin planet, why couldn't we?

Mods, can we do something like that here?

[edit on 21-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Apollumi

I agree completely!

This theory we share has happened by no accident. This is the expected result of the massive divide and separate the people campaign. We live in a supposedly free country that's filled with privacy fences, tinted windows, and every method imaginable to divide people up. Modern America is so broken up that even our sub groups have branches. Hell, around here they don't even put windows on the sides of houses anymore, only front and back?

To avoid going off topic and derailing this thread, I posted this...thread ...about the enormous diversity in religion. I believe it's relevant to this discussion as it explains some of the countless sub groupings and divisions among various religious beliefs.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Still unemployed....

As stated before.

I WILL work for beer..

Doesn't even have to be good beer..

(On a serious note, sorry to hear about your troubles Zerbst.. if it makes you feel any better, it's men like you that held the system together for so long, and will continue to do so while the weak plunder your efforts. I to do not recieve unemployment, which I have been unemployed since January.. I never filed either or tried to claim .. I believe I had more than enough saved up (sadly it was going to buy a house
) that it would have felt like theft anyways..)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

actually my friend, i have done plenty of research, and with some cutbacks, i can make it in california for that. thats what you do you know, you make a good sound choice on the facts. i wouldnt move there if i thought i couldnt make it.and yes being a mechanic(heavy equipment) not automotive is a good skill. but what i dont get is why people just dont maybe change careers for a while. are you gonna look for jobs in a certan field for months with no luck or get a diff job even at macdonalds to pay bills while you search? and after i got out the army sold everything i had even my frikin car to get money to relocate cause in the bigger picture it wasa good move. i'm just saying anything is possible, just gota want it bad enough or hit rock bottom before you are forced to get it. good luck to all in a bad spot.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
There are thousands that surf/lurk/read ATS

Why can't we do a job site here?

We're all over the frackin planet, why couldn't we?

Mods, can we do something like that here?

[edit on 21-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

The best thing would be a web spider that scours all the known sites,
and reports back to a central database for parsing.

Basically a sortable google for all the job sites as a composite.

Sort by country, sort by job category, etc.

Be a big project, but it could be done with PostGRE and maybe
make a good post grad group program for a University.

Someone could also do it as a business and make money off
ads like adsense with google, etc etc.

Could even sign up for alerts, etc etc.

It could be done, but it would be a big project.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My Dad is in the same boat Marg, he works for a contractor now but they are converting his job to Dept. of Army civilian, the pay will be 70% of what he is making now, IF he can keep it. He has to go into the application pool with everyone else, like he never had the job.

Thank goodness the parents live debt free, and he has his military retirement, for now at least.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My dad's still getting the extended unemployment. Just switched to the extended part, I think we have until the end of the year now. But he's applying to three jobs a week, minimum, and working a certain number of hours on the search or else he loses the benefits. And he has to take any job that pays more than unemployment. It makes sense, but he's been looking since February or earlier and he's only been called in for one interview. He's still "overqualified" for everything.

So... I get good financial aid. That's the only good part. But mom works everyday now, the usual. Whatever. Luckily when he was first laid off they bridged the healthcare plan to retirement. Otherwise we wouldn't have healthcare.

Oh, and all the jobs are temporary now, too.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thanks for your concern, Rockpuck, it's very appreciated.

That kind of thoughtfulness is exactly what America is lacking. We have become paranoid and selfish from a system that is at the root of our unhappiness. Clawing and scratching our way through life is unnatural and exactly why are problems multiply. Unfortunately, fiercely competing like this, though it's killing us all, is THE driving force in an unfair capitalist system. The unfairness is THE driving force in its longevity. All the talk about "land of opportunity" and "American dream" is the illusion that perpetuates continued hope.

Like most people, I was caught up in this fraud too. It took losing everything to make me see it and for that I'm glad I did. Since I lost everything I thought was important in my life, I have never felt so good. When I was rich I was miserable and stressed out. Now that I have nothing, I feel richer than ever before. I was an incurable insomniac, yet now I sleep like a baby! I was angry, rude, and short fused, but now calm, kind, and appreciative! I can honestly say that my rat race is over for good and worth every penny!

I hope whomever reads this takes time to think about what it reveals? I worked hard my whole life achieving many proud moments. Bought my first home at 20 years old. Created then became the #1 Collision Repair/Custom Auto Body & Paint facility in the metro Detroit area at 35. I was material rich and really thought I was happy, yet something always gnawed at me? Then in a flash it was all gone and I mean ALL of it. I had a run where every single thing that could go wrong, did so to an extreme unimaginable. So bad that I honestly, I swear on my life this is true, entertained that I must have died and was now living in my Hell. When I couldn't hang on anymore and the dust all cleared, I found myself in an everlasting depression. That depression hastily turned into my rebirth and ultimately my current state of happiness. No more insomnia or stress, and best of all, no more gnawing doubt!

I am poor, but free! Happiness that has no doubt, but only found at the opposite end of the spectrum? How could this be true when it opposes everything they taught me to hold dear? They said "the cream rises to the top"!? They said "only hard work and sacrifice" would make me content!? They told me "it's a dog eat dog world"!? They LIED. I've never been so sure in my life!

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join