It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrogance! It's What's For Dinner!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well I have a thought I need to express. I believe there needs to be a discussion about this topic and how it should be implemented as soon as possible. Even if just a little.

It was recently made aware to me that I am a bit arrogant. Now granted when first confronted with it, I was a bit angry, and in denial. But after some careful thought I realised that a sense of entitlement is in part responsible of the success I enjoy today.

Throughout my life I have met individuals who were so complacent. So, happy to be where they were and did not believe that they deserve to be higher in any sort of way.

Today I realise that complacency among the general population has let to a complete control of the average, modern citizen. This idea, this perfect illusion that has been placed over the eyes of billions of people has made the world's people soft.

Gone are the days when people actually stood up for their values and their rights, god given or not. We are in an illusion from birth to death. The internet has given way to a whole new experience for the person who goes down the rabbit hole so to speak, and finds some sort of truth.

I digress however, and back to my original point, I feel that perhaps a little bit of arrogance among all people would be very beneficial, especially in these turbulant times. Now to clarify, this isn't the kind of self loathing "I want to rule the world" type of arrogance I am speaking of.

I mean the " I want human rights" type of arrogance and the " No thank you government, but I think taxing my income is a violation of my rights and you can eat it" type of arrogance. The kind where people are actually striving for more out of the established societies and institutions that exist to servce the average citizen.

Obviously it's apparent that we've lost control. The populace has dropped the ball. Yes some may say it happened faster than we could stop it, or there were outside forces that prevented any sort of change. Some may even call it simple faith.

We can take control again. IF american really wanted, she could remove her government in a day and replace with folks that actually gave a damn. If everybody thought they deserved just a little better from their surroundings at all times, perhaps our rights would all remain at the end of the day.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
While I appreciate your idealist view, it is a falsity, If 100 million people rose up against uncle sam in this day and age they would be beaten back into sheepyness quite shortly, first by riot police, if that failed then by national guard, and if that failed, full blown constitution-raping martial law. Tanks, gunships, and bombing the poor neighborhoods.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I appreciate your ideals also, but don't think so idealist. We can take back america. We can start voting, running for office, get involved in the running of the country, use our money to put our children with our beliefs through schools so that they too can get involved, even better then us.

You have no rights that you don't stand up for. And it will take more then a day, but yes we can take back america. But it is so much easier to complain about it anonimously so while we CAN maybe we WON'T.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have to say I agree with you totally!!!!
I have been called arrogant since I can remember. I have much the same views as you listed also. I am entitled to the best life has to offer and I coincidentally enough.......I have it!!! and will ALWAYS have it!!!!

Yes, I am entitled. Yes, it is arrogant. But, mind you , only to the people who aren't entitled or arrogant. I believe personally that there might be a hint of envy amongst those who so carelessly throw out the title "Arrogant". People who are "arrogant" seem to have qualities that the "norms" wish they had but dare not because they don't feel worthy.

Is any of this making sense? Time for another drink,lol.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I have similar attitudes but I wouldn't call it arrogance. Confidence, lack of fear, disdain for authority, are maybe better ways of putting it but still miss the mark.. Arrogance implies to me that one is thinking first and foremost of one's self.

If someone came up and told me, "You're a piece of trash," my pride would not be hurt, and I would just be like, "Ok."

If something were up for grabs between me and someone else, in most situations I can think of I would simply let the other person have it (exceptions would be for the sake of the object in question).

But now if someone comes up to me in a raging fury looking for a physical confrontation, and I can't disengage them, then let the wheels of karma roll... Since my pride is already broken, if they're going to straight beat my ass, I'll just run away. I am not a very big person anyway. I can run pretty damned fast, climb fences like nothing, etc.

Similarly if a cop were after me, heaven forbid, I would run from him. I had to outrun a cop last week (in a car) and it was a very harrowing experience but I feel 100% justified in it. My confidence is what guided me (that and I invoked some angels -- I'm just going to assume it worked because why question it?). But if I were arrogant, if my thoughts were focused only on my self and were not "in the zone," I would not have made it, of that I am positive. It was like Pac-Man, darting around a neighborhood, not even a straight run, because my car is also a p.o.s. and I wouldn't have made it. So I definitely count it among my blessings.

Arrogance imo implies that you are thinking first and foremost of yourself. I am very often the one to throw myself under the bus for everyone else, also very often seen as the outcast, though I have many good friends I am very thankful for. I've been under that bus before. And for that reason alone do I believe I am able to post this right now, by what must be some sort of grace. May this not be interpreted as vain; I am very thankful for this path. Peace and love to everyone.

When you are talking about civil disobedience, or anything you feel is ultimately for the betterment (enlightenment) of society, that's just work that needs to be done. We turn the wheels of karma, but if you try to turn them towards yourself you will only be crushed under them. It is a very delicate balancing act, like tip-toeing across ice.

I like your ideas about replacing government. Unfortunately I think most people are too lazy to do anything about it. Personally, rather than addressing the apathetic sit-at-home types, I would rather engage the actual forces at work, make the men and women in uniform question what they are really doing, what service they are REALLY providing society. These are the ONLY people that really have to stand up for what is right, and to realize that they don't have to just be some puppet, and they truly do not. That is the old mentality. The new mentality is different. Clothes are clothes. A uniform is clothes. And people are people. And each moment in time is its own world, and there is no need to carry over the hate and ignorance from the moments preceding. Just drop it for god's sake. Show me a smile and move along.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
While I appreciate your idealist view, it is a falsity, If 100 million people rose up against uncle sam in this day and age they would be beaten back into sheepyness quite shortly, first by riot police, if that failed then by national guard, and if that failed, full blown constitution-raping martial law. Tanks, gunships, and bombing the poor neighborhoods.

Well that's a pretty weak argument for this not working don't you think? I apologize, but American soldiers will never wage war against their own people, doesn't matter who is in office or who controls things.

And since they have not made it legal for foreign troops to patrol the streets yet, your answer is a cop out. You're comments are the exact reasn for my post.

This type of behaviour needs to stop and we need to start realizing that we are stronger than any government force.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Histopherness
I appreciate your ideals also, but don't think so idealist. We can take back america. We can start voting, running for office, get involved in the running of the country, use our money to put our children with our beliefs through schools so that they too can get involved, even better then us.

You have no rights that you don't stand up for. And it will take more then a day, but yes we can take back america. But it is so much easier to complain about it anonimously so while we CAN maybe we WON'T.

I fully agree, you all can take back what you want, but you have to WANT it.

You have to feel like you deserve it, instead of this "let's just sit and home and contemplate our deaths" kind of attitude that's been shown over that past half century.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join