It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Politically Correct Member of Society

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The Politcally Correct Member of Society

Let's examine the idea of polical correctness first. We'll deal with "member of society" second then see if we can make them fit.

What is being politically correct?

Everything we say and do and think, right? I believe being polically correct is like collectivism on the negative side. It is inhibiting and often has repercussions when one goes against the policy, even if unspoken. Going against the currently accepted idea of political correctness is a risk. But what are we risking? Our reputation? Our freedom? Our individuality? I think the answer is yes to all three questions.

What are some of the positive aspects of being politically correct? Better job opportunities, safe grounds for casual conversation, one is in agreement with a large group of others with similar opinions, etc. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment. I may need your help.

Member of Society.

By virtue of being born, we qualify as a member of society. It must have a deeper meaning. Let's see, shall we? It comes to mind that being a member of society means much more than just being born and living with other humans. It must mean the ability to effectively function in a collection of humans.

So, now we have political correctness intersecting with member of society and they seem to be the same thing, right?

What if I choose not to be politically correct as a member of society? Is that allowed? Does it inhibit my prospects and aspirations? How far off the politically correct path can a member of society go without harming anyone physically?

I believe humans have set up an impossible framework for individuality, for creativity and the general function of thoughtfulness. Why would we want to be politically correct? Why does being a member of society equate itself to oppression of individuality?

I hope you share your thoughts and ideas because this subject perplexes me.

PS I'm stretching the boundaries by using a radical font.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hi Hazelnut!

Sorry for my English...still learning...

For me political corectness is the real plague! It comes from the same source as Communism...Talmudic magical thinking that if we change the name of something it will change somehow in reality.
Away with racism and discrimination etc, but the very idea of PC is crippling the freedom of speech and surely can be offensive for many of those for protection of which it was allegedly created.
Im afraid that the day when mental schizophrenia known as political corectness will really internalize in everybodys, everyday thinking it will be the time to die.

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

Your english is just perfect. I hadn't thought of it as a plague before but now that you mention it, that is exactly what it is. An oppressive plague that disallows individual freedom. [sarcasm on] What a chaotic world it would be if people were appreciated for their uniqueness instead of being oppressed for it. [sarcasm off]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
being PC gives no checks and measures to any one any more..If you speak against anyone your labeled a nutter or a racist or worst yet a loose cannon..So in theory this gives one a crooked leg to stand on to abuse the system..I see it all the time..

And no, i am and never will be PC on all fronts..Thank you very much..

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Political correctness is all about repression. Take race its important that we all get along according to society. Ironically the reason we have a society in the first place is down to these animal instincts of group mentality and distrust of different looking people.
If you ask any person of any race who they feel more comfortable with, nine times out of ten they will say their own race, now its unlikely anyone will admit to it in public of course because of political correctness hence the repression.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
being PC gives no checks and measures to any one any more..If you speak against anyone your labeled a nutter or a racist or worst yet a loose cannon..So in theory this gives one a crooked leg to stand on to abuse the system..I see it all the time..

And no, i am and never will be PC on all fronts..Thank you very much..

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

I'm just trying to get a handle on why we put up with it, why we expect it and where it originated from.

You are 100% correct that labels are applied to those who don't follow the politically correct guidelines. But who is putting the labels on us? And why are we letting them?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Political correctness is a bunch of crap created by the liberal left and Hollywood media mongers. Here is the best quote I have found on the subject...wish I would have said it.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

R. J. Wiedemann LtCol. USMC Ret.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Being politcally correct is an outdated and hurtfull form of our society today. It's really ridiculous that we scream freedom of speech and all that jazz when the same people turn around and slam celebrities or political parties from making "bad" statements about a variety of subjects.

It's getting to the point where we can't express ourselves because society has decided for us which words, phrases, thoughts and actions are "taboo".

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think Live in itself is about being diffrent. So formlles, prothoplasmatic mass dreamed of by the creators of NWO is acctually death of human society. Total entropy...Nothing original I know...

Anyway plain, old fashioned politeness was enough in the past , in healthier societies. Everything thats "better" than that comes from the Devil...

[edit on 7-7-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You're going to love this from eHow.com

How to Be Politically Correct in the Workplace

Step 1. Using acceptable terminology and proper terms regarding any groups. Check the link for the "proper" words.

Step 2. Never say man or woman. Always say person.

Step 3. Don't joke around or make comments about stereo-types.
We are cautioned that this behavior will tick someone off.

Step 4. Keep all office communications professional and make sure whatever you say is nonoffensive...forget about humor.

Step 5. Even when on personal calls, try to avoid hurting anyone's feelings that might overhear you. You might make someone uncomfortable.

Also from the link: Tips and Warnings!!!

Politically correct terminology can change quickly. Do your best to keep up with current trends. Avoid asking people what they'd prefer to be called, since this type of question often comes off as condescending. If you're unsure, just say what comes naturally.

Basically, being politically correct in the workplace means don't make anyone uncomfortable. Jeesh.

And from Miriam Webster Online

conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend

Now it appears that it means not offending anyone. I just don't know how that is possible. We would be running in circles getting nowhere if we all made it a priority to never offend or hurt anyone's feelings.

You just gotta be you. Gordon Lightfoot Lyrics

If I satisfy you, if you satisfy me
Once the course has been set
I'm gonna need all the help I can get but
You just gotta be you, and I just gotta be me I can't classify you, you can't pacify me
We can't make it at all
You won't even take my calls
I just want to be loved
And you just gotta be free
I'll smile and tell it to the world
You just gotta be ...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It is funny, on one hand were told we live in a society of freewill, freedom of speech and allowed to express our views.

Yet at the same time they give us political correctness. Which, as I see it, is a dumbing down of opinions. Not being able to speak out [against the system] and having to fall in line with everyone else. We all have to think and act the same way to get along.

I think being a member of society and political correctness goes hand in hand and I dont see how you can have one without the other. (unfortunately)

It doesnt matter how you look at it we are being controlled, and if you go against the system your a bad person. Why?.. because thats the way weve been programmed to think. Even as kids we are told how to behave in society whats right and wrong, what we can and cannot do. Then as adults its the same process all over again but this time they call it political correctness.

We spend our lives trying to be individuals, to think for ourselves and to have our own opinions, but in the end its not going to happen. We're part of the system. lol.

If you live as a member of society then you have to conform to those ideals. lol.

Even here at ATS we think we're making a difference by voicing our own opinions but the reality is, we're not. We're "aware" of whats happening around us but can we change it, resolve it... no.

So why do we try.. lol.

Cheers,

JQ.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Politcal correctness is about pretending some things are true that aren't, and pretending other things aren't true that are, but always it's about pretending. We've reached a point where any politically incorrect statement is instantly classified as "hate speech", and the author of the statement labeled as a "purveyor of hate". As shocking as this may sound to some, it is actually possible to disagree with a policy or idea without hating the people who agree with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The who, well that could be the man behind the curtain..Just another way of dividing us..

The how?..It plays on peoples gulibility to fall for it..

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
to hell with political correctedness, I'm not very politically correct and I don't honestly care. I call things how i see em, which is why most people thought I didn't like Obama cause I was rascist. I'm very far from rascist, I mean I own a color tv.
But seriously, I'm very far for rascist, I believe even one deserves the american principles, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As long as you are born American, or immigrate legally.
I don't hate any particular group cept illegals and politicians.
Other than that. I'm still goiung to call things how I see them, if it isnt politically correct, well the ones that don't like it can eat it.
things like The United Negro College fund and BET arren't very politically correct, If a african american is denied a scholarship it's racist. but when a white person is denied a scholarship from the united negro college fund it's not. I don't understand that.
But yet, I'm the one considered not Politically correct for thinking like that:
:

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
One of the sorriest things about all this PC is that it has turned almost everyone into an accuser.
I was once talking to a lady that I had just met. We had in common our Norwegian/Viking heritage. I said something about the accomplishments of the Vikings (don't remember just what), but her come back was, "Are you a racist?" Race was no part of the conversation. Too much praise for your own kind is also not PC it seems. I was speechless. I muttered something about everyone should be treated with equal respect.

Some of the threads here on ATS demonstrate the ability of folks to turn on each oither and scream "racist", "anti-semetitic", " hate monger" etc.
Negative statements, even if true are not tolerated.

Why do they do that? Do these people really like being bound to this PC nonsense?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Be interested to find out what you folks think of this video by British comedian Stewart Lee

[edit on 7-7-2009 by CRB86]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

When I click on it it says malformed link.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Should be fixed, i've just put the link in now.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The whole pc issue is a minefield. In the US we have various ethnic types, religons and belief systems. All that being pc brings to the table is another way to police everyone's words and actions. Don't say/do that it will offend group x. It's just a form of misdirection, A excuse if you will for taking things out of context. For instance any talk about minority crime always seems to get labeled as racist even when facts can back up the accused. The truth is not changed by "political correctness", however when the pc card is played facts and truth become irrelevant. It's a smokescreen for "them", them being those who encourage such playground silliness. "Did I offend you? Well here's my apology, and by the way f*** y**!
Simple fact is that the truth can hurt, and sometimes you need to be hurt so you can learn not to do that again. But then again most people can't be honest with themselves let alone take a shot of honesty from some one else.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I've said this many times over the years. PC is the mark of the beast, if you are into religions. If you are not PC you will not be able to buy or sell, as you won't have a job. Excellent post OP S&F.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join