It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Point graduate to stand trial Tuesday for being gay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

West Point graduate to stand trial Tuesday for being gay

rawstory.com

U.S. Army Lieutenant Dan Choi, a graduate of the West Point military academy and an Arabic translator, will face a military panel on Tuesday which may discharge him for admitting he is gay.

His case was mentioned in a letter to President Barack Obama, signed by 77 Democratic members of Congress. They called the 10-year veteran an “exceptional” soldier. Some have even referred to him as “the de facto face of the movement to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com
www.californiaprogressreport.com

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Things have been changing. I however does seem that the don't ask don't tell policy is still in effect. The source article does go on to say that there is a group of people who have all be kicked out of the military because of there orientation. So it would seem at this point even during time of war that the don't ask don't tell is going to remain in force.
I don't remember Obama saying he will be doing anything different with that.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Obama isn't really a liberal, he's center right.

I hope they break precedent and decide to allow gays into the military. I think it's kind of stupid not to, and I know at least one marine who thinks the same thing. It seems like most soldiers want this silly rule abolished.

Whether gay/strait/bisexual -- if you're willing to die for this country, that's good enough for me.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Whether gay/strait/bisexual -- if you're willing to die for this country, that's good enough for me.

Excellent point! I totally agree. This may have been an issue before women were in combat, but I don't see how it can still be considered an issue?!?

There are certain taboo things to think about on a ship full of men at sea or in the field for many months, but now we have women in those same scenarios. I don't think male on male rape is that much of a concern. The military has a big enough problem with male on female coercion and rape already.

If they are not derelict in duties, how does their sexuality factor into any consideration at all?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

kaytagg
thanks for posting.

I can't say I have heard to much direct conversation about this. My information is way out dated but I do remember they don't let the gays in but they do let Lesbians in. In the end if it goes one way or the other I don't think its going to matter, because they have always been in the military, and they always will be.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So if I show up with a boyfriend then I can avoid getting drafted? Kissing a guy is much better than shooting myself in the foot

I just can't figure it out, I really don't understand what about being gay makes one a poor soldier. Sure, there are plenty of ignorant macho reasons behind it, but in all reality you can be just as good of a government issued killing machine as anyone else.

I think people still operate under the assumption that all gay people are like these fru fru, limp wristed, extremely fem gays you see on tv all the time.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hmmm. This was reported back in January.

Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

President-elect Barack Obama will allow gays to serve openly in the military by overturning the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy that marred President Clinton's first days in office, according to incoming White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

Wouldn't this be a good opportunity for him to live up to one of his 'promises', finally?

[edit on 6/30/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Since when has he been the type of guy to live up to his promises?
:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

i totally agree; he needs to hold to his word but hey, why break a perfect record
it's stupid; letting in lesbians but not gays; idk the correct terms here but think it's bass akwards and if someone wants to help protect their country they have my respect and backing...
hopefully this case will set a precedent.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
THis policy has been very destructive to the military, if you look at how it has been applied it has affected those in higher skilled areas, not infantrymen and the lower ranks. The military needs to drop the homophobic attitudes, gays are no different thab anyone else. Personally I am horrified that an apparent bisexual like Obama has not rescinded the policy but that it nothing new.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you who are posting.
Overall I do think this would be a good time to see the policy reversed. I don't know if it will happen but there is still another three and a half years of the current administration to decide weather or not to make that decision.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
so will this person actually go to prison for being Gay?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Harlequin
I am not a legal prefeshional but I think he will just be kicked out of the Military.
Even though there is a war on it is still a bummer for some one who wanted a military career.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So it stands to reason the Army will issue the service member a dishonorable discharge? If that is the case, I don't think it is fair; because it will follow him for the rest of his life. However, if he is an exemplary soldier as is postulated by the letters he received on behalf legislatures; he should be allowed to remain on active duty.

If someone is of another sexual affiliation that is their own private affair and is of no importance to others on post. In addition, insubordination between heterosexual couples have run rampart in the service. Insubordination is insubordination and it should not be tolerated no matter what the the sexual preference is of the offending service member.

However, there is a stigma with gays in the military and their have been reports of attacks when their secret is discovered. Quite possibly this policy is in place for the service members' safety from reprisal at the hands of other soldiers, marines, and sailors. Below is a New York Times article from 2000 about a murder of a service member who was discovered to have a gay relationship and he was murdered by another soldier.

www.nytimes.com...

So in regards to repeal of the "Don't ask don't tell," policy, I am undecided and on the fence. If it is repealed, I won't be upset, however; if it disturbs unison in command structure and leads to widespread insubordination it could have horrible consequences on the battlefield. As long as force readiness is maintained and preserved in the case of discontinuation of said policy; then I see no problem at all.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

So in regards to repeal of the "Don't ask don't tell," policy, I am undecided and on the fence. If it is repealed, I won't be upset, however; if it disturbs unison in command structure and leads to widespread insubordination it could have horrible consequences on the battlefield.

It's gratifying to see so many supportive responses without a lot of 'flaming' (couldn't resist that!) and Jakes51 shows another reasoned opinion.

I don't have sources at hand to cite, but from what I have seen/heard every other nation in NATO has a completely open policy re: Gays (BTW, 'gay' is the over-all description, but in common usage the Lesbians prefer to single out to differentiate from the men).

I'm not certain if the soldier referred to in the OP is the one I'm thinking about, but it's almost criminal that the Military has kicked out a lot of Arab-speakers just for being Gay. Pretty short-sighted, eh?

Other interviews abound where you learn that there are plenty of soldiers who are 'open' to certain people in their unit, but just not to the Command. AND they are accepted and trusted.

Throughout history Gays have served....many with distinction.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I just found this.

In a somewhat uncharacteristic display of anger at a Democratic politician, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann declared that Obama was “god damned wrong” for refusing to do away with the Pentagon’s policy of expelling gay servicemembers.

At the end of a segment on the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, Olbermann said, “We need all of the Arab linguists we can find. I don’t care what they look like or what they do. The president is god damned wrong on this. ”

“Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” was enacted by President Bill Clinton in 1992 after a failed effort to abolish discrimination against gay and lesbian troops. Under the policy, the military is supposed to avoid witchhunts for gay soldiers, but is still obliged to discharge them if they come out.sorce

the funny thing is it was right next to an add for an all gay cruse.

new topics

top topics

join