It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Spot Mysterious Ice Circles in World's Deepest Lake

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Remind me a little of this ice disk.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5168e0571eaf.jpg[/atsimg] link

Although this is on a much bigger scale obviously.

Good thread!!

Was my first thought too .... that is was like an energy-vortex that breaks off ice-circles but ....... it might be something quite NATURAL??

essays.ajs.com...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Everything you always wanted to know about Lake Baikal scientific researches:

www.sciencedirect.com...

The whole link doesn't show in the ATS-thread

Please U2 me if you want to have the whole link or go to the site and search for

Remote Sensing of Environment
Volume 108, Issue 3, 15 June 2007, Pages 240-253
Observations of Lake Baikal ice from satellite altimetry and radiometry

written by Alexei V. Kouraeva, b, , , Sergei V. Semovskic, , Michail N. Shimaraevc, , Nelly M. Mognarda, , Benoît Légresya, and Frédérique Remya

Then go down, look the right side of your screeb, there is a window 'Related Articles in ScienceDirect; with some articles, click on the bottom of that window 'View More Related Articles' and a list will appear.

Its a list with 51 aticles related to 'observations of Lake Baikal ice from satellite altimetry and radiometry'.

The dark spots are from 'heat' due to movements of the tectonic plates of Earth.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
So here's my theory...

Remember those giant gas bubbles that travel up through the water and suck boats under in the bermuda triangle? Well, I think its a possibility that a bubble full of heated gas from the earth could form this kind of ring when impacting ice.

Ex

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here is a negative image of the orginal picture.
It looks as if it split into the ice .

[edit on 5/27/2009 by Ex]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

The causes, which lead to the appearance of circles on the ice of the lake, have not been studied thoroughly yet. Experts presume that they can be connected with emissions of natural gas from Baikal’s sedimentary strata.

From the geological point of view, Lake Baikal is a graben lake, a piece of the Earth’s crust, limited with steep clefts and attached to a rift zone. Rifts are characterized by an increased thermal flux and seismic activity. High temperature causes an intense generation of gas. Emissions of natural gas from the lake bottom can be observed in summer owing to bubbles rising to the surface and in winter due to unfrozen patches of water with diameter from half a meter to hundreds of meters.

“Dark circles on Baikal’s lake are too big. Emissions are likely to be connected with seismic activity and tectonic changes in Baikal’s rift system”, the site quotes the opinion of experts from the Russian Geological Foundation.

newsfromrussia.com...

This would make sense, perhaps thermal activity caused the rings and seismic activity created the cracks around the ring.

Methane release from the 7-9 kms of sediment was my immediate reaction also. As well as the other records this lake holds, because it's so old it probably has the deepest sedimentary layers. It's spring in Baikal, a common time for massive methane releases.

The lake is also in a tectonic rift area with much geothermal and seismic activity (2-3 quakes a year), and the surrounding mountains are home to many hotsprings.

Then we have the Neutrino experiment, of which i can find very little real info. But off the top of my head I can't come up with any activity that a detector could do that would bring forth a gaseous upwelling.

So there are many reasons to explain this phenomena away as natural activity BUT BUT... The more I study the 4.4 km diameter ring the more questions I have, not to mention the second ring! Are there two detectors? Are they both 4.4km wide. Has the ice cracked in a similar fashion?

Wikipedia's explanation is that the southern ring is simply the focal point of ice break up. Maybe the lake does have two focal stress points for ice break up.

BUT this doesn't explain how these rings have been observed surviving the daily/nightly cycle of ice freezing and melting. Apparently Baikal lake ice can disappear completely in a matter of hours only to reform into solid cover at night.

I want to explain these rings away but there are just too many anomalies and not enough data. grrrrr....

[edit on 27-5-2009 by sharps]

[edit on 27-5-2009 by sharps]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
actually there is something on the bottom of the lake:
Baikal underwater neutrino telescope

and the place of its location is exactly the same as of the circle on ice.

so here is a link to this. google translation link

another link

i hope this clears the question a little bit.
here is location image from the first link

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I have thought of a possible cause.

If you have seen Jurassic park, then you will remember the water glass in the car that started to pulse vibrations from the TRex coming closer. Well the special effects team used a string from a bass guitar located under the glass to achieve the effect of the small rings pulsing in the water glass.

I would imagine some tremors from within the earth or close to the surface near there could easily have caused this at the right moment before the ice was fully formed. Like when it was slush.

The fractures near to the ring also support this theory as the cause could have continued after ice was hardened..

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I live in Minnesota, and we get plenty of ice in the winter. I also enjoy ice fishing, which is really one of the only things to do in Minnesota in winter.

Now thin areas of ice d/t warm spots like this are by no means uncommon. But I can’t ever remember seeing one in such an eerily perfect circle.

I don’t know enough about the geographical conditions of the lake to make a positive assumption, but it is weird and a little creepy.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
maybe it is the same thing that left this mark
areo.info...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by derpif
maybe it is the same thing that left this mark
areo.info...

that looks doctored...is there a link to the official site anywhere?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by silencee

earlier in the thread I posted the question are there two neutrino telescopes?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
yea its all from ufo's and aliens

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Could it be the large eyes of a serpent-like lake creature staring off into space?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg
Could it be the large eyes of a serpent-like lake creature staring off into space?

Sure it can be anything
Whatever YOU want it to be it is

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The reason I ask is that it possibly could be an artic type of large squid-like Loch Ness creature with large eyes.

reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
To clarify, I have attached a picture. The image is grainy; however, it was taken while many men defended themselves from this creature.

reply to post by Heisenberg

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
After reading the first page of innane crap, I'll just skip the rest and throw in my two cents worth. I supposed sooner or later somebody has mentioned that the UFO is right there, clearly, under the broken ice. And the outline around the circular UFO is part of its force field.

Note the following true lesson in objective thinking:

Otto Struve, Russian-American astronomer who headed the first American search for intelligent life via radio telescope was reported to have made a very sage and strikingly humble statement for a scientist. He said, "...I believe that Science has reached the point whre it is necessary to take into account the actions of intelligent beings, in addition to the classical laws of physics."

And since decades of evidence has indicated that aliens do exist and that they are here, an ET explanation for strange phenomena that our extensive knowledge today of natural phenomena cannot adequately explain must apply as the first order unless we refuse to accept that premise and insist that, "Oh, heck, I wonder what that unknown force was that just whiizzed by, was videoed, or sank to the bottom of that lake."

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heisenberg
To clarify, I have attached a picture. The image is grainy; however, it was taken while many men defended themselves from this creature.

reply to post by Heisenberg

Maybe just maybe you first READ and check links
No offense though!

I have a wild imagination and can see why you do compare the ' negative image of the orginal picture' with your external image.

But ...... you image is the eye of a squid and the original pic and the negative one are of the frozen Lake Baikal. Do you have a clue HOW big that Sibirian Lake is?

A sea-creature like Nessie wouldn't even be seen in that Lake from Space, let alone a ' tiny' squid!

I bet on the scientists researches this time

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's either caused by a volcano or a meteor.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join