It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatties cause global warming

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Fatties cause global warming

www.thesun.co.uk

THE rising number of fat people was yesterday blamed for global warming.

Scientists warned that the increase in big-eaters means more food production — a major cause of CO2 gas emissions warming the planet.

Overweight people are also more likely to drive, adding to environmental damage.

Each fat person is said to be responsible for emitting a tonne more of climate-warming carbon dioxide per year than a thin one.

It means an extra BILLION TONNES of CO2 a year is created, according to World Health Organisation estimates of overweight people.

The scientists say providing extra grub for them to guzzle adds to carbon emissions that heat up the world, melting polar ice caps, raising sea levels and killing rain forests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Obese should buy two plane seats, says Australia survey
Obese blamed for the world's ills
New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese
Pay the obese to take a walk

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Is this for real???

We all know that 'the Sun' newspaper can be a bit over the top at times...but just who the heck writes this stuff? Are they digging up old news (see related ATS threads) in order to make a few extra sales?

Are they starting a smear campaign to make 'thin' people start calling 'fatties' all the names under the sun just so an airplanes seat will be available and comfortable for thin people?

It is a key factor in the battle to reduce carbon emissions and slow climate change.

A ket factor? Since when... I thought it was all the vehicles and aircraft and leaving the light on at night that is to blame. We've all read reports blaming the obese but I've not heard them called a 'key' factor before. I still cant fathom why nobody has decided to stop motor sports like F1 or nascar... that dont make sense.. these motor sports are a complete waste of fuel and do nothing in helping reduce any of this so called 'global warming' issues.

They are taking away our rights, taking away our freedom, taking away tobacco, soon it will be alcohol too, but taking away our fat is like some form of Nazi 'supreme race' programme.

This report almost mirrors some of the older reports and it's almost embarassing to post this... but there definitely seems to be a war going on... a war against fatterists... What they gonna do? Create a fat camp...call it Gutmo and tax the hell out of the thin people because the imprisoned fat need extra large rooms and beds and toilets and plates and clothes and super size shampoo/soap....

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
WEIGHTISM! I object! It's WEIGHTISM!

Seriously though .. this sounds like something that would come from an eight grade science project instead of state of the art scientists.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Buuuut...... skinny people live longer than obese people and would therefore have a larger carbon footprint over the duration of their lives. So, the obese are actually greener thanks to their short life span, right?

Obesity is certainly a drag on society, based off of medical costs alone, but I don't think that we can really blame global warming on them.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I AM NOT FAT...

I am a well rounded and expansive individual.

What I hate though is when you put clothes up for the season and they shrink while they are in the closet... that really bites my butt...

especially when its leather.

I also hate it when I go to my doctor up at the VA and they use the o word... I always object... call me plump, pillowy even... or if you must, fat... but not the o word.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by grover]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
For the publishers at The Sun!

Im fat and im gona smoke 40 cigs and go for for a drive in my v8 4x4 and tear up some local vegatation!.......

Eat me,bite me and sue me...........

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Haa this cant be serious! This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard as for the cause of global warming...Obese people for real?!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
you know their right ... maybe a bit of an exxageration but their on to something.

their bad for the enviroment, bad for public moral and bad to look at.

i have to commute pretty far to work most days, it always invoilves a walk,train and bus, and every day i have to walk round someone who is obese to get past them, they expect me to move out their way while their barging their way down the train isles expecting everyone to just move out their way without even a thank you, or they sit next to you on the bus / train and half crush you into the window..

then, they have the gaul to come out and say "thats descrimination" whenever anyone critisized them for being fat or does somethgin they deem as "unfriendly to FAT people".. well, we never forced that pizza down their neck, im like a good pizza or super size burger but im not like the side of a house, and if i ever did get like that i wouldnt expect society to handle the burdon.

im all for taxing the morbidly obese ~(thats who im aiming this at btw, not the average person who is a few lbs over weight, just the morbidly obese ppl) , they expect society to cater for their sickening size , they expect the nhs to cater for them health wise, so why souldnt they pay a bit more ... noones fault but their own.

boabys rant is now over.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I enjoy my food and i aint ever going to stop eating or cooking for others because of the chance i might get fat or fatten others up. If they truely believe this was going to be a problem for C02 Emissions they seriously have something wrong with them, addressing the eating process and not the real issues is dump.

Anyhows when reading the sun their articles are funny to read i have always said this and they have always been able to make me laugh, tthis is why i read the Sun it's humour at is best, but if you are looking for a more intellectual i sujest you dont read this.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Man this is heavy stuff

I think maybe there looking for an excuse to put fat people on food rations and then force them to peddle those bikes that turn exercise into energy, thereby completely helping to save the entire planet from global warming lol

- JC

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Fat people are more expensive to care for so we there will be a sustained push to either guilt them thin or make them scapegoats for larger issues so "state action" will be supported by the masses.

I wouldnt have figured they were contributing by consuming more. I would have thought the cumulative mass of all obese people was contributing to the gravitational forces pulling the Sun and Earth ever closer.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I am growing ever more tired of hearing about this nonsense.

Next we will have a limit on the amount of sleep we can have because or rear ends release more methane gas while we are asleep than when we are awake because we have more control of our own sphincters

Honestly, if these guys stopped printing this nonsense it would reduce the amount of ozone damage being done enough to put the planet in an ice age and yes I know that this would not be the case as global warming does not work like this but it is a joke just like this article.
(Just in case theres any global warming fanatics lurking)

It wont be long until we hear of reverse global warming, we already have reverse discrimination.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hey to Boaby's Rant

Come on these people have an illness, and basically you are discraminating them for this. Why should these people have to pay more taxes or more health care, when they obviously have an eating disorder which is already costing them more than anyone. They pay for their food and also some pay for more seats on public transport, jeses how Embarrassing is that for them to be in public and take the critism every where they go, thats called harresment. Thats just making some eles life a little more unbearable.
I have health issues which i pay for treatment which if i never had, i would proberly die, which annoys me to fork out my own money out of my pocket.
People should be more a little more open minded when talking about issues like these and slandering should stop, so you have to move out of someones way or move a few extras steps to get to your destination, your lucky you have the abilty to walk and move and use it to greatest advantage, so stop being so angry about it and be thankful for what you got.

Bambams rants never stop, i am a human machine with the ability to see clearer than YOU........................

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I dont know wether to laugh or cry at some of the replies here

Great stuff all..

It's just incredible that anyone can suggest this type of thing in the first place..

What was it that people used to say about the Jews before WW2 broke out.. wasn't it along the lines of "They are the cause of the worlds troubles"...

If certain companies did not cram ther food with chemicals that do very little but make you want to buy more ten minutes later because you're still hungry.. I'm talking fast food here... then maybe we all might have a healthier pocket and body in tow.

But, if we ever run into the 2012 issue and we get one of these 'pole shifts' and we actually do get 'fat camps' then lets hope these camps are put in a place where the combined weight can be used to effectively 'right' the Earth.

But all joking aside... I find it odd how some don't like the O word whilst others are against being called fat.. you can't please all the people all of the time..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Nice. Maybe Obama can start placing carbon taxes on fat people.

We live in a society where we produce unhealthy, processed foods, with tons of pesticides coupled with 150 channels in HD and then as a society we complain there are fat people and blame global warming on them.

While I do believe in the end the individual is responsible for their own weight, health, and lifestyle, maybe if there wasn't a McDonald's, Whataburger, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Jack in the Box, KFC, and Wendy's all on the same corner every 2 or 3 blocks, it might help out a bit.

So who do you blame? McDonald's for raising enough cows (along with their methane farts) for a billion fatty burgers or the masses of people who are willing to buy the billion fatty burgers and greasy french fries?

Either way in the grand scheme of things as inefficient as living such a lifestyle is from the point of view of the forest, this argument that fat people's large quantity of foods contributing to global warming in a significant way is just ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
you fats and fat lovers are laughing now.

But will you be laughing when you've been rounded up in the FEMA concentration camps?

For being fat.

Or for aiding and abetting a fatty?

It's going to be a fat, fat, fat holocaust.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hi, warming watchers.

One thing is sure: in this thread, we can easily spot the lowly
egocentrics me-myself-and-I animals !

Blue skies.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The ability to store fat was an advantage to our species during times of scarcity. Of course we no longer have such scarcities in the western world , but this may not always be the case in the future .

In times of plenty , its the skinny "oh i better be careful not to snap you in two" look that is in vogue .....

..... in times of scarcity its the Rubenesque figure that catches the eye.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bambam1
Hey to Boaby's Rant

Come on these people have an illness, and basically you are discraminating them for this. Why should these people have to pay more taxes or more health care, when they obviously have an eating disorder which is already costing them more than anyone. They pay for their food and also some pay for more seats on public transport, jeses how Embarrassing is that for them to be in public and take the critism every where they go, thats called harresment. Thats just making some eles life a little more unbearable.
I have health issues which i pay for treatment which if i never had, i would proberly die, which annoys me to fork out my own money out of my pocket.
People should be more a little more open minded when talking about issues like these and slandering should stop, so you have to move out of someones way or move a few extras steps to get to your destination, your lucky you have the abilty to walk and move and use it to greatest advantage, so stop being so angry about it and be thankful for what you got.

Bambams rants never stop, i am a human machine with the ability to see clearer than YOU........................

So your saying the 40% of Americans that are clinically obese have an illness

It just seems to me your just trying to pass the blame on because you can't handle the truth that it is the fat persons fault for eating way too much and doing no exercise.
Coming to think of it though they might have an illness, it's called being lazy...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So where are those ignorance drugs????

I think it's the packaging of all of the foodstuffs that larger people mass consume.
And then the junk in those boxes is not really food is it???
Perhaps this is the ignorance drug....

Peace...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join