It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma Yoga and the Latent Light Culture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Many years ago, I acquired an interesting little book, titled Karma Yoga. From the title page:

KARMA YOGA

A SERIES IN ELEVEN LESSONS in KARMA YOGA (THE YOGI PHILOSOPHY OF THOUGHT-USE) and THE YOGIN DOCTRINE OF WORK
By BHIKSHU

Chicago, U.S.A.
Yogi Publication Society

Latent Light Culture Tinnevelly, (South India)
Agents of the Yogi Publication Society in India.

I recently found a verison published online, and I encourage everyone to check it out:
www.experiencefestival.com...

The author's name is clearly a pseudonym:

Bhikshu is a Sanskrit word; it is the technical designation for a fully ordained Buddhist monk, one who leads a pure and celibate life and who upholds the basic 250 monastic regulations (227 in the Theravada tradition).

"Bhikshu has three meanings, and so it is not translated from Sanskrit. It means 'mendicant', 'frightener of Mara' [i.e., the king of the heavenly demons], and 'destroyer of evil'. Above, a Bhikshu seeks the food of Dharma from all the Buddhas to nourish his Dharma body. Below, he seeks food from living beings to nourish the life of his wisdom.
www.nalanda-university.com...

I found a site for the Latent Light Culture online. It's very enigmatic, in a way that will probably intrigue ATS members:

We have been working silently and have deliberately stayed back on seeing the mushroom growth of unmatched name-fame-seeking organizations and individuals. We all along waited for the dust to settle but as the trend is not abating, and bewitching the ignorant and the wise alike, we are opting to come to the fore to help those who have been relentlessly striving hard all the years to reach to a place or person where they may be up-lifted.
www.latentlightculture.org...

Karma yoga has it's roots in the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita:

"Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities, one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without attachment one attains the Supreme." 3.19

"Therefore, O Arjuna, surrendering all your works unto Me, with full knowledge of Me, without desires for profit, with no claims to proprietorship, and free from lethargy, fight." 3.30

But examine this text from Karma Yoga, by Bhikshu:

"As you sow you will reap" is truly an universal axiom which the Christian takes to refer to this world of effects only, whereas the Hindu takes it to have force on the moral plane governing the physical, as well. Act Thou, therefore, when opportunity confronts you; responding to it, meeting it bravely, utilising it, actively. "Do what thou wilt," say the Masters, "Shalt be the whole of the Law"
www.experiencefestival.com...

Those familiar with occult studies will immediately recognize the quote from Aleister Crowley's The Book of the Law:

40. Who calls us Thelemites will do no wrong, if he look but close into the word. For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
lib.oto-usa.org...

Indeed, looking at Crowley's accounting of the writing of The Book of the Law, we see the following interesting comment, with reference to "latent light":

I may admit a Qabalistic or cryptographic secondary meaning when such confirms, amplifies, deepens, intensifies, or clarifes the obvious common-sense significance ; but only if it be part of the general plan of the "latent light," and self-proven by abundatnt witness.
www.hermetic.com...

So, exactly how 'traditional' are these teachings of Karma Yoga? Is there a connection between the Crowley's Thelema and the origins of the Latent Light Culture?

If nothing else, I encourage members to check out the Karma Yoga transcription in the first link. It's quite a read!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Questions arising from reading your post:

Which was first..."Karmic Yoga" or Thelemic Teaching? Did one take from the other?

Another question: Have you practiced any of this and if so would you like to give a brief rundown its practice?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yoga simply means 'to do', a way of action. Karma yoga focuses on the first of the 'four pillars': dharma, artha, kama, and moksha. Roughly, it's the philosophy of action taken as expression of inner righteousness, and is much older than Crowley's specific philosophies, by thousands of years. Here is a beautiful quote:

"The beauty and charm of selfless love and service should not die away from the face of the earth. The world should know that a life of dedication is possible, that a life inspired by love and service to humanity is possible. Meditation and studying the scriptures are like two sides of a coin. The engraving on that coin is selfless service, and that is what gives it its real value. Our compassion and acts of selflessness take us to the deeper truths. Through selfless action we can eradicate the ego that conceals the Self. Detached, selfless action leads to liberation. Such action is not just work; it is karma yoga." - Mata Amritanandamayi

Yoga was certainly an influence on Crowley; he wrote some extensive lectures on the subject:
www.spiritual.com.au...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm definitely going to look over this, but having read Hinduism's Bhagavad Gita, a lot of Crowley, and being familiar with Yoga, I'm already impressed and fairly convinced that these people know exactly what they're talking about. These teachings that I am reading here are coming straight from the heart of "mystic" Hindu philosophy.

Yoga is also said to mean "union" and I think this is the definition Crowley himself gave in his lectures. The ultimate goal being union with everything.

Edit to add: They are selling books on their website. Everything they say and more is available for free online, for example from the ancient Hindu text Bhagavad Gita itself, to which I have a link in my signature. Also most of Crowley's work is available for free online, including his lectures on Yoga.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Yoga is understood

What is not understood is whether those writings were taken from Crowley or Crowley took those writings from them. But ultimately I guess it doesnt matter.

What is also not answered is whether you practice yoga.

Myself? I dont practice specific yogic paths but a lot of Meditation, some of which is borrowed from those paths.

If Yoga is the path of "to do" I guess Meditation is the path of non-doing.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
As bsbray11 says, all the sources you need are in the public domain. That's one of the great things about studying philosophy, metaphysics, and spirituality - almost all the copyrights have expired.

I see a lot of truth in many of the things Crowley wrote, but frankly, there's much he wrote that I find disturbing. I think that was his intent, of course, but that doesn't completely explain it.

I had guessed this LLC to be gone long ago (the book I have was published in 1928) and was quite surprised to find their website. When I first researched the book's origins in the early 90s, I couldn't find any reference to them.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yoga without Karma Yoga is just intellectualising, and working out a few times a week as opposed to being a true athlete.

Without Karma Yoga, doing yoga is the old version new of "The Secret", lots of mental gymnastics and real if sometimes misguided (depending on the basis of Intent i.e. I will earn 10 million no matter who I have to subjegate for it) very good mental control and meditation they provide. To put it another way, a Gun can stop a Madman shooting 15 children in a massacre, or be used to kill those children to.

All true yoga is Karma Yoga otherwise it is like going to a Church on Sunday in "The City" praying for a few hours, taking communion and then spending the rest of the week making millions whilst lying, stealing and abusing others, or
wrangling a £615,000 year a pension whilst the rest of the population and their children work for it, and calling yourself a Christian.

The Buddha as well as his enlightened interpretation of reality and practise, learnt from the roots of these philosophies initially taught not just sitting practise, but the practise of Karma Yoga.

Karma yoga involves being aware in the Now, and is just not limited to service as some of the initial impressions some may get from initially looking at this.

Do you see the Clouds in your cup of tea? Or Coke?

Do you see the Grass in your Milk?

Do you see the Body of the earth as you attempt to walk on it gently, therefore massaging it and not kicking it?

The Bees and Flowers in your honey?

There are no ordinary moments. None.

Yoga without Karma Yoga (the basis of NOW & LOVE) and being aware of all as one and part of you and the divine, therefore sacred is a very high path when taken to the fulfilment of its highest teaching as service denotes.

The seeing all in now the clouds in the tea, releases "attachment" or "clinging", and therefore reduces suffering in your own life to and those around you, and in the future. You see all as sacred and as one, cant not but help serve all and love all, and not do things that are bad for yourself and others to attain or fight or disrespect all.

In essence IMHO Karma yoga is the most simple (in intellectual and philosophical sense) and the root and basis of the tree of wisdom that has emerged from all the Yoga Systems.

You can see karma yoga in the selfless love of Mothers (some) but that instinct spark, in protecting their young in nature, and feeding them, when it goes beyond the norm. When firefighters die and risk their lives for people they do not know.

I will say here Crowley though did skew this basis as his personal ego was to big, he reminds me a little of the stories of the Fallen Angel, very very clever, powerful etc but unwilling to serve anyone else, he was missing in Humility, so for anyone wanting to look at Karma Yoga please DO NOT accept Crowley's teaching as such. He is a different path and as rightly mentioned by OP and signposted by Sky hijacked these and many other traditions and mysteries into his new magic. The path of Crowley is that Magic, reality hacking.

The path of Karma yoga is very different indeed.

Karma yoga is the basis of ALL Bodhissatvas including Jesus.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I once read somewhere (probably from Crowley) that there are three major modes of yoga. The first is a physical yoga, which is all about physical relaxation, releasing tension in the muscles, and finding a sitting posture that minimizes physical stress so that the mind can perform unfettered. This is all the stretching stuff.

The second is the "bridge" between the physical and mental yogas. These are your breathing exercises, with your breathing literally serving as a bridge between conscious action and unconscious action.

The third is mental yoga. Building the strength of your mind/concentration/memory/imagination/visualization/energy body/etc. in various ways is the object.

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
I will say here Crowley though did skew this basis as his personal ego was to big, he reminds me a little of the stories of the Fallen Angel, very very clever, powerful etc but unwilling to serve anyone else

I am well aware of Crowley's public image but I disagree that he was ultimately just self-serving. I have learned a lot from Crowley personally, for which I am grateful to him and what he left behind for people such as myself.

He did take other philosophies and run with them, as many as he could get his hands on, but I admire that in him. His teachings were living teachings, and not just the same various odd translations handed down through the ages. He brought entire philosophies and religions together and united them conceptually on very deep levels, a form of yoga I have seen only a small handful of humans accomplish in such a way, if even that many.

He definitely was a magician, and he definitely knew his stuff. His work is the legacy he left us, and because he came across so mean and obscure, his work hasn't accumulated the baggage that mainstream philosophies and religions have, including the infamous "New Age." His path is narrow and so he left it in good hands -- our hands. Yet at the same time he is well known enough to attract anyone with a long enough attention span to study him, even if only to "learn" he was "Satanic." I say your loss, Pastor. (Not you, Sky!
)

His persona serves almost like a diode that only allows in HF signals.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I should have added that, and this is in response to SkyFloating when you say that Meditation is doing nothing and yoga action work.

You mention one of the most profound contemplations of Arjuna
namaste

Anyhow Krishna explained to him the rule or law of Yagna.

Basically the two paths, service to all now, to everything in all actions in movement and action, and contemplation. Both paths are needed really which is what I was trying to get across unsuccessfully in my above post.

At its root karma Yoga is every action/movement from the stillness of the void or letting go mindfulness found in non specified meditation or just "being", so when you arise from the sitting posture and that state of mind is broken unless it becomes Karma Yoga then its just part time realisation.

Also true fruits and enlightenment is found in serving for no gain others. Krishna explained and this is not verbatum but what I remember on Yagna

Even if one is enlightened one should work continuously for the benefit of others, and Wisdom should never be confused with inactivity/stillness...

I suppose this is the essence of real meditation in practise, in "Beta" level or waking day normality inactivity (non attachment of the action or reward or subject), just automatically whilst not grasping at what you are doing, why or for who (friend or foe...Jesus saying If he asks for a shirt give it etc), automatically just being there in the NOW free from past present or future, you or me, reward or not, then and only then when this has become an habit, can your sitting or inactive practise become your entire life and you are living the realisations.

There is no Subject or Object in deep meditation, it is one, this is making all one in all of life.

Elf.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
His persona serves almost like a diode that only allows in HF signals.

Very much so and it depends what radio station you choose to tune into to

Heavy metal or classical? I know which one heals plants and increases mental health healing....

I can flick now to a radio station on the net, some very well meaning Christians in America are doing the "impossible" and magic and grabbing snakes and through the power of the "lord redeemer" facing them down and dancing with them. Apparently some act at getting rid of S or some other Mumbo Jumbo.

Christian ego dominated pastor & Crowley yep all do some amazing things as I said, I was not getting on an heavy anti Crowley thing, I personally don't like him BSBray as I have read much of his work, and also much of his students and found some very disturbing things indeed, which I am not here to elaborate on, just to make it very and extremely abundantly clear to those who may read this and be young or unexperianced in these teachings and such like,

Karma Yoga is not in any way in it's true form anything similar to practising anything of Crowlies teachings, they are polar opposites. I find the OP interesting and note what Ian has highlighted as really imformative, but cant stress that point enough.

Have not called him Satanic just making something very absolutely clear as above.

A dolphin is not a shark even though they both live in water and eat other fish and swim

An unaware swimmer could get a nasty surprise if they were not aware of that, expecting lovely sound healing and dolphin love and such like, as a great white lunges...

Elf.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

KARMA YOGA

A SERIES IN ELEVEN LESSONS in KARMA YOGA (THE YOGI PHILOSOPHY OF THOUGHT-USE) and THE YOGIN DOCTRINE OF WORK
By BHIKSHU

Chicago, U.S.A.
Yogi Publication Society

The fact that it's published by the Yogi Publication Society in Chicago, and that the author has a Sanskrit name which is probably a pseudonym, and that the author references one "Yogi Ramacharaka" in the very first lesson leads me to believe the author of this work is William Walker Atkinson, a prolific New Thought writer and occultist who was the one that coined the phrase "Law of Attraction" way back in the early 1900s. He used tons of pseudonyms, one being Yogi Ramacharaka and is believed to be one of the authors of The Kybalion. Given that, and the milieu in which he lived and wrote, it's not surprising that there would be similar material to Crowley. I would also say that, given that, the teachings in Karma Yoga probably aren't that traditional, but I haven't read through it entirely. I'm not sure about connections to the Latent Light Culture though...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nameless Hussy
I would also say that, given that, the teachings in Karma Yoga probably aren't that traditional, but I haven't read through it entirely. I'm not sure about connections to the Latent Light Culture though...

Good points about the authors source indeed, and crowley mix, which is what I have been trying hard to shed light on here...

However just to reiterate again for all Karma Yoga did not originate with the LOA, Crowley is not a Karma Yoga Master by a far stretch of the imagination.

The Author cited is not the originator of Karma Yoga ok for some clarification.

Karma Yoga is a Hindu part of the Bhagavad Gita. The ancient text which is spiritual in nature in search for Union with God and the Divine. I have recently put a English translation on this group "Enlightenment" in the ATS media Portal here:Enlightenment Group Please all Join and Add, there is much here on similar and growing

Text Bhagavad Gita in English

As I outlined in above posts it is the actual bringing into working, waking life the meditative practise of absorbtion and dropping all ego based, "this" "that" "me" "them" labels and perceptions, once these have been eradictated totally in our subconscious and conscious it is really what Enlightenment is. We get glimses of it in sitting practise however Karma Yoga is the action movement and service part that extends beyond formal meditation to make meditation or mindfulness complete and unending as the goal.

Visualisation and the LOA and the Secret and Abraham Hicks and such like IS NOT what this pertains to, though they have similarities and crossovers in absorbtive states reached, however the Desire for manifesting as this is needed to do it anyhow in the LOA or Magic, introduces the Ego which is the thing in Karma and all true Yoga's that is needed to be dropped. So thinking you are reaching enlightenment by meditating on being wealthy or having a new car is a trick of the ego if you think it is true Yoga or a path to enlightenment. No matter how absorbed you become on your object of visualisation, it is just your Willpower and mental control you are increasing, and good for you, and admirably so, I am not making judgements.

but it is still based on that even if slightly just sub conscious Ego based desire for personal gain etc. To though as Jesus did use the LOA to manifest the fishes for the multitude, was the same principle but based on not his Ego but wanting to help others.... so its a very fine line and where many get very lost. I personally think it is impossible to get to the point of such instant and big manifestations as displayed in these and other miracles throughout history, until the Ego is totally crushed and gone first.

This is the point or path of Karma Yoga s hopefully people will see, it is not the LOA or magic or new but over 2500 yrs old and from the text of the most importance in world spiritual thought. It is based on Charity and service to others with NO DESIRE FOR ANY PAYMENT or REWARD even in heaven as its root.

It is true selfless action.

Here is some more to expand lol:

A yoga attained through selfless service, renouncing the fruits of one’s action, and performing actions with pure intention, devoid of selfish motive. To uplift the lives of others!

Karma yoga basically consists of entirely selfless service, in which the Ego is given up to the desire to serve God in every thing, be it man, animal or plant.

Karma yoga is undoubtedly one of the most practiced of the many yogas in the Hindu religion. Unlike hatha-yoga which primarily concentrates on the physical well-being of a human, or bhakti-yoga which aims for a spiritual realization of God, karma-yoga joins both the physical and mental aspects of Hindu philosophy to produce a single concept.

From the text I have linked and made available above:

Karma Yoga
The Bhagavad Gita

He who sees inaction in action and action in inaction,
he is wise among men; he is a Yogi and performer of all actions.
-Gita, Ch. 4, Verse 18.

For, verily the true nature of action (enjoined by the scriptures) should be known, also (that) of forbidden
(or unlawful) action, and of inaction; hard to understand is the nature (path) of action.
-Gita, Ch.4, Verse 17.

He whose undertakings are all devoid of desires and (selfish) purposes, and whose actions have been burnt
by the fire of knowledge, -him the wise call a sage.
–Gita, Ch.3, Verse 19.

Having abandoned attachment to the fruits of actions,
ever content, depending on nothing, he does not do anything though engaged in activity.
-Gita, Ch.4, Verse 20

To one who is devoid of attachment, who is liberated,
whose mind is established in knowledge, who works for the sake of sacrifice
(for the sake of God), the whole action is dissolved.
-Gita, Ch.4, Verse 23.

I have practised a lot of Karma Yoga in my life even when not realising I was doing it when younger, and though my motivation has not been to please as such a "God" as I have not that belief of a separate entity as such this aspect of it sums it up for me:

See God in every face. Behold the Lord in all creatures.

I am you, you are me all is equal.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nameless Hussy

What a prolific writer. I agree, this may be another one for the "Other Likely Pseudonyms" section on the link you gave.

Is the Yogi Publication Society even connected to the LLC at all, I wonder? Are they still in business?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
What is not understood is whether those writings were taken from Crowley or Crowley took those writings from them.

What of Crowley's use of the term "latent light"? He even used quotation marks!

But ultimately I guess it doesnt matter.

The validity of the teachings have no relationship to their origins. Or do they?

What is also not answered is whether you practice yoga.

Yes, though not as a formal practice, as you mention. Rather than follow only specifics, I prefer to 'make yoga', by examining and learning the various unifying themes.

If Yoga is the path of "to do" I guess Meditation is the path of non-doing.

The Western model of the verb "to do" tends to be quite material based, rather than referring to a larger practice. Do you "do" meditation?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I have to say, I love your posts, always a treat to read.

I don't study yoga or hindu or buddhist philosophies much, more of an inactive interest yet I disagree on this.

until the Ego is totally crushed and gone first.

IMO, the ego can never and should never be crushed or completely discarded, the ego is the balance needed, without any ego, one wouldn't consider themself attached to this world, one wouldn't consider themself of any more use than a rock, the slightest trace of self and standing is ego. It is needed, it is your best friend and your worst enemy.

I see it as, I accept that I am no more important than an animal or a plant, but I am in a position to do more, to help (or hinder) more.

I am still selfish and I am careless but I do try, this is all we can ask for IMO, no one will ever be perfect, we can only try to be perfect.

This went on a bit longer than I head meant, so I do apologise.

EMM

p.s. it was £703,000 a year pension wasn't it?!

[edit on 4-3-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

The 'ego' we speak of in spiritual circles is not the the same ego of the id. It is much more subtle and controls the mind. The prison keeper, and in fact every hell is connected to the ego. The mind being heaven or hell, the difference is in awareness.

When you first take steps towards becoming the Master of your mind and not the typical reverse, it is all about dropping the ego/mind first and allowing the pure energy to flower.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ego is one of those words that has many definitions - sense of personal self, overinflated emotion, etc. It's difficult to apply the term clearly to a particular issue. I think the quote I mentioned earlier makes a good point, "the ego that conceals the Self" is a problematic part of human nature that the practice of various yogas can address. Localized ego is the veil that obstructs the growth towards a larger Self. Perhaps the attempt to 'crush' that MischeviousElf mentioned is more a evolution and crucible, that removes the dominance of the smaller petty sense of 'self', as the 'Self' that remains is truly uncrushable.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
While it may be true that the word 'ego' can be defined in many different ways, the primary definition is a sense of self (according to the American-Heritage Dictionary). And I don't see this as being any different from the definition of ego in spiritual circles. Because isn't the goal of most spiritual paths to reach a sense or being of one with the universe? And to do so doesn't that at least imply there can be no 'self'? To be one, there can be only one and therefore no self.

In my years of searching I viewed it just that way. That the goal was oneness. But I found this to be a false goal. One in which the pursuant must abandon the physical world in the most complete sense. A fine life for an aesthetic, but not the one most of us lead. To my mind, there is purpose and intent in physical existence and so it must be involved. How does the coin exist with only one side? Granted here's where the argument often veers that the two sides are an illusion, but it is the illusion we live in and so to argue it's illusory status is, to my mind, quite pointless.

I now see the goal as being to work within the boundaries we are given. That there is no abandonment of the ego, and that attempting such is merely another function of the ego. What determines to rid one of a sense of self if it is not the self?

As I see it, the goal is not to be without ego, but with balance in ego-action, as much as that is possible. Because isn't eating an ego-action? To sustain the self one must have sense of self. So is sex. So is breathing. Every action is an extension of the ego. To be without ego is to be without form. And so, if that were the case we wouldn't be having this discussion

Edited to place this in topical context: Karma Yoga is just what I was describing: Ego-action in balance with the physical/spiritual existence that we are.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Yes. Sometimes I think of ego as referring more to an emotional attachment to sense of self, rather than just the localized perspective of a human individual. There's nothing wrong with being a single awareness, and the idea that you have to 'give that up' to reach some kind of higher spiritual plane is odd. Perhaps it's just a matter of growing the sense of self beyond the weights of emotion tangles that keep us limited to a narrow point of view.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A single awareness that is never disconnected from the whole. Maintaining that awareness is enlightenment in my opinion. Which can't and doesn't need to be done all the time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join