It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I been redirected from ATS constantly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by awake1

I used Ad aware from lavasoft, free version others has posted numerous spyware that can also work for this, I am now testing the Super antispyaware and spybot all free.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by autowrench

I am thinking into getting another lap top with Linux as I been learning that is a better program, my present lap top is only one year old, but I can not get use to vista I hate it.

Being a computer repairman, I also hate Vista. You can download Linux and burn it on a CD or DVD and install it yourself. I run PC Linux myself. www.pclinuxos.com...
Very easy to install and configure, comes with Shorewall Firewall, and you can set security as standard, high, very high, and paranoid. I use the MiniMe version myself, but the Gnome version or PC Linux 2007 (KDE) comes full featured. They also have a very helpful forum.
/7hxz4q

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake1
I'm also being redirected when on recent posts or in a thread , its mostly redirecting to SUPER YELLOW PAGES.
edit: it's actually AREA CONNECT .. yellow pages guide . It only happens when I'm on ATS and every few minutes whether in list of threads under Recent Posts.. or in a thread. HTH !

[edit on 15-1-2009 by awake1]

I'll confirm this also. I thought I have been getting Trojan Horse viruses almost daily and I only visit basically the same sites. I did not clean them up the other day and got a redirect from ATS to the yellow pages guide also. I think it maybe coming through one of the ATS banner ads or something.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I am downloading the program right now, I can not wait to tested.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It has also happened to me only on this site.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hijackthis is what I used when I had the exact same thing happening.

It sounds like a scary program because you can really mess things up if you don't know what your doing however it works like a charm and isn't that hard to understand.

When you run it will show a bunch of lines of things running in the background.

First thing I did was check mark anything that said

1. toolbar because I never installed a toolbar other than the normal ones that are built into web browsers.

It also found the vundo virus that, at the time, was not being recognized or removed by virus checkers I'm pretty sure they do now though.

2. Anything that say buddy or buddie or bonzi also check although should be picked up by maleware programs.

Be careful what you install to remove it because some will actually install male ware on your comp when you try the free version and force you to buy it to get it removed. Hence the reason I stick with highjackthis it's free and works.

If you do try highjackthis DO NOT check everything because it lists everything that is running including windows stuff.

Be very careful getting rid of dll entries also I only start checking dll's after all else has failed, wrong dll and you could be reinstalling windows from scratch.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
For what it's worth, download hijack this and run a scan.

If it shows tinyproxy.exe anywhere on there, there is a special removal process.

I have removed this from 6 different client computers since December- and it wasn't picked up by AVG, Norton, e-Trust, or McAfee.

IT is a browser redirect malware, specifically within search functions. It affected both Mozilla and IE, in the cases I saw.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I used to have trouble with the ATS site also. What worked for me was ditching Internet Explorer.

I have not had one single problem at all with events of that sort since.

Mozilla is what I currently use.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That was happeing to me a few weeks back, I could not pick it up with live one care, my other spyware wouldn't pick it up and I was very frustrated.
I have gotten malware from a "fake" java update too, so I just watch it. I have a free program that helps with this, it's called Scotty the Watchdog, WinPatrol, it pops up when an unknown tries to get in and I couldn't even get that to get rid of it, nothing would get rid of it!

So, I went to my IE 7 and had run the anti-spyware from the yahoo browser, it said, HackdoorE, or something like that, I couldn't even get rid of it with that!
. What's weird, is it was when I tried to go to Project Camelot and that is the same day they got attacked and had to shut down.

I finally had to go to my System Restore for and went back the day before and "finally" got rid of it!! So, if you ever have that problem, just go to system restore, it worked for me. And then I found a very good free anti-virus, spyware program and haven't had that problem since. It's AVG.

There is something I have noticed here at ATS, I get pop-ups everytime I come here, but I also run MSN premium and it blocks them. Anyway, that was the answer to getting rid of a very malicious hack! System Restore.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stardust1955

Well so far the problem has stopped for me, after running the spy ware programs.

I hope that the problem is resolved for now.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Just curious, Marg, what browser do you use?

Another line of rubbish designed to circumvent the silly one line rule.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I use IE, I also have firefox but I have all my settings and I am so comfortable with IE that I can not stay away from it, even when is a pain in the neck.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I don't think it's not a trojan/spyware/virus problem, because I've been having the same problems ever since I posted this message.

I believe the problem might be an banner advertisement redirecting us to a different website, rather than our cookies.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well so far the problem has stopped for me, after running the spy ware programs.

I hope that the problem is resolved for now.

Maybe, maybe not. I've been having trouble with this turd and just when you think you've got it beat midnight strikes and it's back.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Not needed as your post was of value to the thread. It wasn't silly banter, unlike the second line.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I guess I will keep running the spyware programs at least ever day to keep the computer clean for now.

Interesting that it only happens when I log into ATS no in any other sites I browse and I happen to do a lot of research and visit many web pages during the day with not problems.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is also another thread in the computer help forum asking for help with the same problem. www.belowtopsecret.com...

I posted an image of the screen, after it had redirected me.

If you leave the yellowpages screen up long enough, a pop up message comes up telling you to download the spyware scanner. Don't click yes, because the program itself is a virus.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

I read some of the post in the other threads in the issue, and that picture you posted is one of the pages that I get redirected too, This morning it got me so bad that I could not stay in ATS more than a few minutes without been redirected, that is why I had to post this thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Finally a thread I can solve! To fix the problem you will need to do the following.

1) Download an Anti-Adware/Virus. AVG is free and quite effective.

2) Install the program and download all necessary updates.

3) Restart your computer and boot it into 'Safe Mode'. You can do this by tapping the F8 key repeatedly about 2 seconds after you power up the machine.

3) Once in safe mode click 'Yes' to continue, open AVG and start a Full System Scan. Depending on the size of your drive this could take anywhere from 1 to 5 hours.

Make sure the scan FINISHES.

Also, the reason it is important to run the scan in Safe Mode is because it is a bare bones diagnostic mode of running Windows. It loads files only necessary to run windows. Any 'infected' files which would be in use by regular Windows will not be able to be removed by running regular Windows because they are typically in use.

On a side note your screen resolution will look big and washed out, this is caused by your video driver not loading, nothing to worry about.

When the scan finished, remove all infections and reboot the PC normally.

I hope this makes sense, I'm not a technical writer but am a certified and employed tech by a coast to coast technical firm (aka turbo geek!) and deal with this stuff 5 days a week. No conspiracy here, just another case of ad-ware.

Goodluck! If that doesn't solve the problem let me know and I will make a few other suggestions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join