It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
well it looks like groups like freecycle will benefit from this.

Of course, that does not help the business owners. I do hope someone with some sense changes this before too many people lose their livelihood.

For those who like to pass on things that are out grown or no longer needed or wanted, may I recommend you look up your local Freecycle Network and pass those thing on to someone who needs them.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

"well it looks like groups like freecycle will benefit from this."

Not with children-sized clothes they won't...

Not in America. Not anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Here we go again, another sensational title that doesn't match the actual news story.

How can you complains about contaminated Chinese products and be against the government testing them at the same time?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I hope this doesn't come to the UK. I gave away 3 bags of clothes and bedding to the Make A Wish Foundation last week. If these charities didn't exist then i'd have to dump them in the bin, what a waste.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
they will sell them to the rag dealers and they will end up in third world countries.

if you watch films of people in third world countries you will see a lot of used clothing that the rag dealers have shipped to them,

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
No to POISONED clothes, Burn them all. well maybe not if they have lead in them.?.?.?.?

It's OKAY to be fed Malamine and fluoride though but your NOT ALLOWED to wear non-sanctioned poisoned clothes , or give them away to the needy ...

The trouble is , is that some of the 'older' clothes are more fashionable than todays cr*p anyway. ( maybe its because I'm an 80's man?).
Besides how much lead can there be in clothing and what kind of poisons are they talking about and how could it get into the clothes?
OK I understand the dyeing process for leather could contain toxic chemicals used when being made, ( having spent 2 hours in a downpour and ending up with a rather colourful tie-dyed 'white' tee-shirt, its was colourful really.) but lead????
Leads ok for your childrens toys though , especially in the paint....
Poisoned clothes don't work fast enough or provide dumbing down of the public for TPTB to be able to control them. ( mind you have you seen the people that show their buttcracks coz their trousers are falling down all the time? now thats dumbing down for you......:lol

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Look like everyone who has childrens clothes should join together and form a class action lawsuit against all clothing manufacturers, and demand that they certify all the clothing they have produced to meet the retroactive law.

Those who own used clothing stores demand the clothes in their inventory be retroactively certified, or bought back at market price.

Then see how quickly the law gets changed.

My money says Obama will not enforce the law against used clothing stores, and should quickly develop exceptions for clothes made out of certified lead free materials.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
How much of America's clothing is imported?

Most of the other industry has left for Indochina and Latin America, It is the same with the garments industry aswell no doubt.

*This reminds me of the new mercury filled lightbulb that is only made in China... But who use was almost made mandatory in the US until someone pointed this fact out to the Legislature.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The is a result of Centralized Planning.

Centralized Planning is why the Soviet Union Collapsed.

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by Cairowoman

"Please explain more.... "

No.

Do it yourself. I recommend google.

I googled "Centralized Planning is why the Soviet Union Collapsed" and found some info that I think explains what your saying. However in my short time floating around ats, I've noticed that it is generally frowned upon to throw such a random statement out there without offering something to back it up.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by doomsauce]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by doomsauce

No need.

Look at the top of page two - you'll see I already did your work for you and the other fellow.

*Don't just stop reading when you find a post you feel the need to reply to.

Edit: Nevermind, here you go lazybones:

Google fail you? How about wikipedia? (from which the following was extracted, being promptly displayed at the top of the page...)

"A planned economy or directed economy is an economic system in which the government or workers' councils manages the economy.[1] Its most extensive form is referred to as a command economy,[2] centrally planned economy, or command and control economy[3]. In such economies, central economic planning by the state or government is so extensive that it controls all major sectors of the economy and formulates all decisions about their use and about the distribution of income.[4] The planners decide what should be produced and direct enterprises to produce those goods.[5] Planned economies are in contrast to unplanned economies, such as a market economy, where production, distribution, pricing, and investment decisions are made by the private owners of the factors of production based upon their own and their customers' interests rather than upon furthering some overarching macroeconomic plan."

Still think this isn't a result of centralized planning?

Or do you just think it is fun to argue the obvious?

"Important planned economies that existed in the past include the economy of the Soviet Union, which was for a time the world's second-largest economy[citation needed], China during its Great Leap Forward, and India, prior to its economic reforms in 1991, Afghanistan under the Soviet occupation and under the Taliban, and Iraq under Saddam Hussein from 1979 to 2003."

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Yeah, I tried to edit my post to gracefully put my foot in my mouth, but it didn't take. Anyway, my apologies, I jumped the gun.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Apology accepted.

Notice my edit, also.

Do you agree with my hypothesis now? (vis-a-vis central planning)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I certainly see the correlation. It makes sense but I think controlling the textiles market this way isn't the be all end all, it is a significant step though. My guess is furniture is next.

Or construction materials...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cairowoman

These bastards would do this when people need clothing the most. Someone needs to stop this. This is the most ridiculous law I have ever heard. Melamine OK....old clothes POISON?

What about all of the people that make extra cash selling kids clothing?

They have to throw away ALL of the clothes that don't comply......that includes clothes in the stores NOW!!!

Can anyone say retail store bailout next?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

im sorry but these buisnesses deserve to get their wallets torn apart

they all deserve some punishment for KILLING people by spreading all this toxic crap and calling it "childrens cloths" its pure evil imo

so i will see justice done when they go out of buisness

its THIER fault that there is children in the hospital right now suffering untold horrors

i think the toy stores and their suppliers need a slap in the face too
and maybe a little bankruptcy to teach them how the market works

you poison my kid? you lose your job

simple

[edit on 7-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

You need a permit to do almost anything.

You need a license to buy and sell almost everything.

You are subject to Government Audit and Inspection if you wish to sell anything or operate a service business - no matter how minor.

You need license to build a fire-pit on you own property, don't dare try and build a deck without one.

You pay for all of the above. There is no "Free Enterprise" in America - not anymore.

You are only allowed to hold yard sales on designated days during designated periods of time.

You pay taxes on everything except bubblegum balls.

*"What's next?" you say

More like, What's left?...

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
Here we go again, another sensational title that doesn't match the actual news story.

How can you complains about contaminated Chinese products and be against the government testing them at the same time?

agreed

i think we need to test everything and basically throw away pretty much all of it

and maybe make non toxic stuff next time?

idk call me crazy

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
im sorry but these buisnesses deserve to get their wallets torn apart

they all deserve some punishment for KILLING people by spreading all this toxic crap and calling it "childrens cloths" its pure evil imo

you poison my kid? you lose your job

As an adult, you do realise that you determine which clothes are bought for and worn by your child?

There are natural fibres that you can buy for your child. Or, you could resort to making the clothes yourself.

If you buy 'poisoned' clothes, then don't you think that you should have done some more research about what you were buying in the first instance?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
What idiot politican is responsible for this and who do we contact to stop this?

I'm going to write a letter the big cable news personalities, maybe they will cover this on their shows.

This needs to end.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

If you buy 'poisoned' clothes, then don't you think that you should have done some more research about what you were buying in the first instance?

I actually think all my cloths are safe (i hope?) and actually my kids do wear alot of older hand me downs from family, so im assuming since the cloths didnt make our nephews etc sick, it prolly wont hurt my kids

but why the hell should i have to RESEARCH what cloths i buy? thats freakin retarded

its the Govts job to keep the public safe, not my job to run a science test on every freaking product in the market

anyway, i dont have a Lab nor the equipment to test it, nor the cash to pay someone else to test it

but i do have a govt to test it for me, thankfully

now lets just hope they dont lie too much about it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join