It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
What idiot politican is responsible for this and who do we contact to stop this?

I'm going to write a letter the big cable news personalities, maybe they will cover this on their shows.

This needs to end.

ya make sure you do everything in your power to keep poison on kids and keep them sick

good work there man

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I also support him.

It is good that he is taking action as opposed to just griping on the internet about the matter.

Edit: I have just reviewed some of your recent posts and it is clear you are an Argumentarian who is just here to argue and troll/flame us.

Why man? Why?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
its the Govts job to keep the public safe,

Ah-huh.

I think that your reply above speaks for itself.

There's probably pages that I could type in response, but it's not worth it. Seriously, it's just not worth it.

You have a nice time believing that the government is going to keep you safe. Make sure that all of your clothes fit you properly, or is it also the governments job to measure you and place the order?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"its the Govts job to keep the public safe"

Our Tax Dollars at Work - Protecting Us from Ourselves.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I couldn't believe it when I read the article, this confirms my fears that we are slipping into a controlled state.

IMO The real reason for this is another arm of their 'control' We all talk on this site about NWO and government control e.t.c but its not until you hear things like this, suddenly you pay attention. I can't believe people still defend the 'powers that be' WAKE UP!

Quick poll how many people have actually been poisoned by their clothes?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Wow! I donate most of my daughter's (outgrown) clothing to charities and others I consign to 2nd hand stores. And all her clothing is name brand and many things still have tags on them!! So, I now have to throw them out??? Guess I can ebay them. But still
This sickens me!!

And how on earth are these charties going to get clothing for those who need them?

Uggg!! This just really has gotten to me.

In fact, I have an appt for this Saturday at a 2nd hand store to give them some of these clothes!!

This is the store I consign her clothing to:

"We will have to lock our doors and file for bankruptcy," said Shauna Sloan, founder of Salt Lake City-based franchise Kid to Kid, which sells used children's clothing in 75 stores across the country and had planned to open a store in Santa Clara, Calif., this year.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by greeneyedleo]

Besides Ebay might use craigslist, and for stuff you just want to
give away try freecycle.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I can see how lead could get into a child's clothing, let me explain....
daddy's a machinist, he goes to work daily, grinds and cuts the lead into a useful product....in the process the lead powder fills the air, gets into his clothing. neither the employer or the government has really gone out of their way to let dad know the hazards of second hand lead poisoning, he comes home and well, that small powdery stuff is still in his clothing, he's bushed, he sits on his couch for a second and little mickey's comes running to him for a hug....and his clothing is contaminated.....
but......they aren't looking for that are they??? nor will you hear anything about this danger....

the ironic thing is, that this will cause the cost of clothing to skyrocket probably, and well, they will become unaffordable, so little mickey will come down in the morning in his best clothing, which will be used till no longer useable, with holes and patches (reminds me of the good ole days)....mom will still hand him a bottle of that wonderful "bottled" water providing him with his daily supply of phylates or whatever, and he will still hug daddy and get his daily supply of lead...nothing will have changed really....except the styles in clothing...

then, well, if you buy this one....
www.abovetopsecret.com...'
well, probably 99.9 percent of the stuff at the good will is contaminated and shouldn't be resold, since well, there's a good chance that sometime in it's life it will have come into contact with a smoker or something that a smoker has come into contact with.....

the clothing industry in this country is practical gone, the shop i work for used to be huge, filling two or three buildings, now, what's left of it is down to one small area of one of the buildings and consists of less than 40 employees and it doesn't make clothing anymore. that's what happens when you outsource your industry to emerging countries who don't care about their own citizens let alone yours. you lose control of the production process and god only knows what you are getting. then when it becomes known that thru their ignorance, or just greed whatever, that they are poisoning you, well...what can you do? it's not like you can throw a company together overnight to produce clothes for your people.
and well.......they are still selling bottled water, the phylates in that aren't dangerous I guess.....hmmmm...
ya know what, the words "economic warfare" keep coming to mind....

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

"Besides Ebay might use craigslist, and for stuff you just want to
give away try freecycle"

But it might be a Sting Operation...

You don't think the Police state won't be using those kinds of sites to ensnare 'garment criminals' and catch them in the act of 'conspiring to traffic and purchase/sell illegal garments'

(Minimum 6 months in Jail, $5000 fine)

*Who here has had the chance to watch 'A Scanner Darkly'?

(it's on youtube for free right now and it VERY relevant. watch it if you haven't here is the link to the first part: www.youtube.com...)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

"the clothing industry in this country is practical gone"

"that's what happens when you outsource your industry to emerging countries who don't care about their own citizens let alone yours."

Exactly.

So when the ban the sale/exchange of used clothing, where will Americans be forced to turn to in order to get clothing?

-'emerging countries who don't care about their own citizens let alone yours.'

You said it best Dawnstar. I just rearranged it a bit.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I'm a tad surprised some crafty lawyer out there hasn't picked up on the notion that since the government says clothing can't be resold because it may contain toxins hasn't started a class action lawsuit against the original retailers and manufacturers of these supposed killerclothes because they've endangered the lives of millions of people importing toxic materials then selling these toxic materials to people.

The arguement would be made that since the government considers it a 'danger', it certainly must be true and would stand up in a court of law . . . or the damn law would be tossed.

I'm guessing the latter.

Gotta love the stupidity of governments who feel we're all too stupid to save ourselves from ourselves when in reality we need to be saved from their stupidity.

Sheesh.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

What do you expect from the Nanny State?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This is another political move to payback the trillions of borrowed dollars from countries like China and India.

More manufaturing for their countries, for their workers and economies.

Greed.

The stimulus package was just the beginning. The monies were targeted at the middle class and lower, to have them go and stock up on walmart goods all made in China.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Beautiful Reply and very true. It may be better to start producing clothing here again where it was heavily regulated from the start to not have these problems. But, then again everyone has moved on.

The designers of the machinery and the companies that produced machinery to be used to make clothing have been effectively bought out by foreign countries years ago. Many of the Chemists, Allergists, Environmental Control, Engineering, Business Analysts etc. have went on into other careers. That is the point people never made about manufacturing jobs/textiles.

When one company was shut down here about 200 jobs were manual labor type while 600 were professional and science related careers. Not to mention the companies that worked alongside these to produce machinery, those that did expansions, electrical work etc. Yes this company also offered educational opportunities so the manual laborers wouldn't have to stay in a dead end job forever free with full tuition reimbursement!

That is why this area has been in deep depression for about 8 years because retail jobs don't pay the taxes or have much purchasing power.

[edit on 7/1/2009 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Nice way to force the lower income bracket to shop wal mart. Sometimes I wonder if there will come a day when everyone is forced to go to wal-mart for all of their goods.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
You know realistically, this law is good, its saying that all products sold in the u.s. must be tested. This means that all products imported must be tested. This will raise the cost of the products to equal what it costs to produce them here in the u.s. anyway. As a result, this will bring some of the textile industry back to the u.s.

I do think though, that there should be a appendage added to the law, that states that ALL manufacturers must certify that there products are clean and safe, going back to 1990. In this event, if they can't certify, then they must issue a recall, and pay market price for the products.

Its not the resellers responsiblity to make sure the products are safe, its the manufacturers, and if there not, thats there fault for not doing it in the first place.

Yes this will make items sold overseas more expensive, but manufacturers here in the u.s. have already been adhearing to our laws, and they can produce these items for almost the same cost.

I like the law, I just think it needs tweeked a little bit. One thing to keep in mind, is that the majority of products sold at thrift stores and garage sales, etc, are name brand. this means there was a manufacturering process in place to produce these items, there are originals around somewhere for the manufacturers, and if not they can find the product somewhere to test it.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

"You know realistically, this law is good,"

Wrong.

I also read the rest of your post, even this part: "I like the law"

Haha, Now I know you are not serious.

You were just joking around. 'Havin' a laff'

Right?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

How so? Many of the high tech machinery companies have been bought out by China. Take Tube-tex for example. They are at tubetex.com. They are now a Chinese company (NavisGlobal) and do not even deal with the United States anymore. Tubetex machinery at one time produced about 80% of the T-shirts sold in the US. Fab-Con which isn't doing so well produced the other 20%.

It took 35 years for tube-tex to get to the innovation level they were at prior to them being bought out by China.

[edit on 7/1/2009 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

Completely Outrageous******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 9 year old and went to a consignment store for the first time 2 months ago and go decent clothes for her.

I will be going to stores this month while they are still opened and purchase clothes for a few years now.

Clothes cost will go through the roof and only huge corporations benefit from this!

The government continues to get rid of the little guy and only big corporations are to stay alive - a complete NWO law!

[edit on 7-1-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

"The government continues to get rid of the little guy and only big corporations are to stay alive - a complete NWO law! "

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This may seem slightly off topic, but for years I have bought used clothing for my children and myself here in Canada.
However, the prices of such items have shot up so dramatically, that Iam rarely saving much at all, and usually DO wind up shopping at Walmart anyways.
Apparently, they are trying to force us to retail shop in more ways than one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join