It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

New safety rules for children's clothes have stores in a fit

www.latimes.com

Some owners say the cost of testing for toxic lead and phthalates will shut their businesses. The law goes into effect Feb. 10.
By Alana Semuels
January 2, 2009
Barring a reprieve, regulations set to take effect next month could force thousands of clothing retailers and thrift stores to throw away trunkloads of children's clothing.

The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Cairowoman]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Cairowoman]

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
These bastards would do this when people need clothing the most. Someone needs to stop this. This is the most ridiculous law I have ever heard. Melamine OK....old clothes POISON?

What about all of the people that make extra cash selling kids clothing?

They have to throw away ALL of the clothes that don't comply......that includes clothes in the stores NOW!!!

Can anyone say retail store bailout next?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Wow! I donate most of my daughter's (outgrown) clothing to charities and others I consign to 2nd hand stores. And all her clothing is name brand and many things still have tags on them!! So, I now have to throw them out??? Guess I can ebay them. But still
This sickens me!!

And how on earth are these charties going to get clothing for those who need them?

Uggg!! This just really has gotten to me.

In fact, I have an appt for this Saturday at a 2nd hand store to give them some of these clothes!!

This is the store I consign her clothing to:

"We will have to lock our doors and file for bankruptcy," said Shauna Sloan, founder of Salt Lake City-based franchise Kid to Kid, which sells used children's clothing in 75 stores across the country and had planned to open a store in Santa Clara, Calif., this year.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This will really hurt lower class families. People who cannot afford new clothes will really be hurting.

Ebay will probably start taking down auctions for kids clothes in compliance to the new law, so no ebay next.

Will probably have a black market for used kids clothes and people imprisoned for having used clothes next.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Say goodbye to your liberties.

Can anyone point me to the exit door?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The is a result of Centralized Planning.

Centralized Planning is why the Soviet Union Collapsed.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The is a result of Centralized Planning.

Centralized Planning is why the Soviet Union Collapsed.

Please explain more....

link   
Typical overreaction to an issue they don't understand. Lead and phthalates in cotton shirts? No chance. More unintended consequences that will affect the poor. It does say "can't be sold." There may be no way to prevent giving the clothes away to people who need them.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by pteridine]

link   
RFID in you NEW walmart clothes that you MUST buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
This is sickening.
But I bet, now you will be seeing a lot of new children clothing being sold with a tag on them that says this product doesn't contain any poisons.

Who had part in making this stupid new law, a law?

Oh... And what would be the consequence of giving relatives old clothing. Jail time? Fines?

Stupid politicians...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Maybe some people could take it upon them selves to set up a website...

Whenever an item of kids clothing does actually get tested the all clear is put up for all to find, in that way most of the larger lines of clothing could be okayed, and the offending articles could be flagged so money and time is not wasted testing them again.

Not sure how practicle that would be... I don't know what the testing involves... Does it actually destroy the item? Surely for the newest stuff the manufacturers would have something up on their own sites.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
People will have to get creative. Perhaps childrens clothing exchanges could be arranged where credits are issued rather than cash exchanged.

Or perhaps large number of mothers need to converge on their politicians offices with armloads of childrens clothing and stage something akin to a "Bosten tea party."

This is just a typical bureaucratic overreaction with blanket repercussions to a localized problem. Rather than require all Chinese products undergo such testing, lets punish everyone even if there is no history of tainted products.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This also affects women (like stay at home moms) who make clothing and accessories for kids/babies and sell them on Ebay and Etsy.com. Many of these women relay on their "craft" to support their family. And now, they will suffer.............along with all those charities who provide clothing for poor families!

Again, im just sickened by this!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

"Please explain more.... "

No.

Do it yourself. I recommend google.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cairowoman
RFID in you NEW walmart clothes that you MUST buy!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's exactly what I was going to say.

No use if people are struggling and buy second hand clothes, is there?

So children are better off with no clothes than these "poisoned" second hand ones?

RFID is already in almost everything you buy now. Don't believe me? Go to a WalMart and try and walk out with an item without paying...

There is definately a conspiracy here. TPTB are surely getting desperate.

People please wake up! There people don't care about you, regardless of their words on the TV. Judge them by their actions instead...

Originally posted by TheFretwalker
Stupid politicians...

No, they're not. They're highly intelligent. People hopefully will see this and realize that they deceive us and have their own agenda.

[edit on 7/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hmmm... seems like a great time for all the second hand kid's clothes shops to change their names to second hand collectible doll clothes shops. After all, it isn't the shops responsibillity to make sure the shirts & pants they're selling are actually being used to dress life sized collectible baby & toddler dolls rather than being used to dress real live children now, is it? Problem solved unless some asshat politician really wants to explain to the American people why a collectible doll not intended to even be played with by anyone, let alone a child, would somehow be harmed by the presence of lead in it's little doll clothes.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
That is actually a fantastic idea.

Good thinking Burdman.
You are absolutely right. Or it could be an adult "little person" clothing shop. There will be ways around this if people think creatively.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Oh my God!
When will this nonsense end!?

Untested Genetically Modified Foods -
Fluoride -
Aspartame -

but NO used clothes -

Keep them hungry, cold and tired and sick -

Nasty, controlling, manipulating

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Another example of good intentions equaling bad results?

or

Did the garment industry lobby this action into law ?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by Cairowoman

"Please explain more.... "

No.

Do it yourself. I recommend google.

I did and I still do not see how they are the same. Call me whatever but I dont see the connection....seems like 2 different things to me...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join