It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worker trampled to death at Long Island Wal-Mart during Black Friday stampede

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

www.nydailynews.com

BY JOE GOULD
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Friday, November 28th 2008, 9:27 AM

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD Edit: Review This Link: *Revised* - Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on 11/28/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
And I wonder why two hours later, we are still not seeing this on main stream media.

This may be a sign of things to come. Imagine if our country was attacked again. This is just a Sale for God's sake.

Sorry if this is not meaningful enough for submission. I'm just in shock that people, no AMERICANS are so cruel. I'm ashamed of those people.

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
What amazes me is that you know when you are walking on a tile surface and walking on top of a human being. This is amazing. We will probably see more reports like this come in. But, at the same time. If I was the worker, I probably would not have been in front of a crowd like this. I would have opened the doors and immediately ran or stepped out of the way.

I feel bad for his family. Working at Wal-Mart is not dangerous and who would have thought this would have happened.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

Hey. I'm an American and as much as I'd like to disagree with you, I can't.
This is disturbing.
The only thing I can compare it to is one of those soccer games where they stampede and hurt/kill people - but over a sale?
They call it black friday over here for a reason.
It's rotten what they've done to the holidays.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Actually, there was likely nothing those in front could do about stepping on the man; people pushing from the rear would have propelled them forward, whether they wanted to go that way or not. Those in front would have had two choices, move forward across the man, of go down and be trampled themselves.

What is sad, is that people are so desperate to be consumers that they would be in such a herd in the first place.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

I flagged this thread and gave you a star for your comment because it is wayyyyyy overdue that we look at ourselves for what we are. This is the one good reason that we actually need these hard economic times to come. To see what a bunch of brainwashed, materialistic freaks of nature we allow ourselves to become and raise our children to be.

Should you ever find yourself in the front of a funneled down mass amount of people... know that you will have no control when the flood gates open. You will be pushed forward and over anyone or anything in the way and you will have to try to stay afoot no matter what you are being pushed onto.

Let there be no mistake........ it is WalMart that has created this along with every other store that does the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, it should be illegal.

Keep in mind everyone....... in order to attempt to survive a stampede if you are knocked down is to try to turn sideways and into a fetal position. Doing so will protect your body, lungs and organs the best possible. It has actually saved peoples lives in past scenarios like these.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
These people are programmed to consume.

Those charged with 'serving' the customers are not forewarned of the severity and power of the media-induced compulsion in the targeted market places.

I have seen within the last three or four seasons, more and more intense confrontations and frictions in both consumers and vendors. If you ever want to see just what the social engineers have done to the American people, just watch one of these 'black Friday' events from a clinically detached perspective, and be prepared to be amazed that the essence of humanity can be nearly eradicated by simply convincing the human that lack of consumption equates to lack of individual worth.

For those of you who scoff at the American mindset, I assure you, it was manufactured and applied to our social model, under the watchful guidance of the media, the government, and the elite .... and it can happen where you live too (if it hasn't begun already.)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I agree, sad as it is, there would just have been more trampled bodies if the people in the front would have stopped.

I find it absolutely disgusting how people will herd themselves and stand in crowds to get something for ten bucks cheaper than they normally would. If the NWO does exist and they decide to truly take control, most of the flock are obviously going to be very easy to bring into a herd.

Imagine if instead of a 10% off sale, it was "you get in line or you die..."

It won't be much of a problem. :shk:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
You remember those nature shows where they show herds of animals crossing a river and some of them start drowning but the whole herd keeps pushing on? Usually the narration says something like:
"The herding instinct is so powerful in these animals that they will not stop for anything in order to maintain the herd."

Well if aliens really were watching us I think the narration would go something like this:
"The greed and hoarding mentality is so powerful in these animals that even objects they don't need and which serve no useful purpose will entice them into a state of constant disregard for their fellow man."

Everyone in that store should be arrested on manslaughter charges.

Jon

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

That is exactly what came to my mind Max, we as a society are nothing but programmed puppets to the powers than rules us.

The same way that we have been programmed to consume we are programmed to be nothing but slaves to anything fed to us.

I feel very sad to see my fellow Americans falling for this type of mind control.

When you can kill on a shopping spree and careless about who die it tells how low we have fallen as a nation, and those that brought us to this point all they do is sit back and count their profits.

You will not catch me in any waiting line in any store as I refuse to be manipulated.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is sadly not all that rare, I remember when Wii came out their were near riots at several stores and in one incident in Virginia they had to deploy riot squads at a mall after a mob trampled over several cops and store employees in their haste to get the mediocre at best gaming system. People were ATTACKING each other over a beeping video game console

I will never forget the picture of the cops and the store workers being swarmed by a huge mob of people. It was pure insanity.

It happens everytime a new gaming system, Harry Potter book/movie, etc comes out.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by ChrisF231]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
These people are programmed to consume.

...be prepared to be amazed that the essence of humanity can be nearly eradicated by simply convincing the human that lack of consumption equates to lack of individual worth.

For those of you who scoff at the American mindset, I assure you, it was manufactured...

YES!! This is why I have you as one of my friends! I almost never disagree with one of your posts and this is exactly on the money.

Everyone in this thread needs to watch "The Century of The Self." It is a BBC documentary done in the early 90s about how psychoanalysts along with politicians and corporations have been using mass media for years to program the human.

You will be disgusted by the degree to which your own views have been shaped by people who, by their own admission, don't believe in the peoples' right to self determination. These people (advertisers, media personalities, and politicians) have convinced themselves that the freedoms given a voice by the Declaration of Independence and granted protected by the Constitution are roadblocks to peace and prosperity.

Please watch this, it may just be the most enlightening documentary ever produced by a big media outlet:
Century of the Self Part 1
Century of the Self Part 2
Century of the Self Part 3
Century of the Self Part 4

Jon

EDIT: Incorrect homophone.

[edit on 11.28.2008 by Voxel]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This country definately suffers Affluenza. We are a more me now society with little regard to others. This is most disguisting that material goods are above the lives of others.
I can't imagine something (material wise) so important to have that you have to trample your way into a store at 5am.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If that is true, why doesn't george bush stand on tv and talk about this, what a shocking statement of american culture.

Getting killed for looking for some cheap walmart deals, just sick.

Like above said, how would you know your not walking on someone.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
why would you possibly see it in the media...they are the ones that encouraged it. this is about buying crap, and profits...there is to be no rain on that parade. but i do see lawsuit written all over this... walmart will have to shell out a few million for this one.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thats about 5 minutes from where I am right now. I clicked on the link not knowing where this happened. I'm stayin in today! Ill do my shopping when the savages are finished!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

You made some excellent points as well, just as the always astute Maxmars.

This story is positively sickening. The mentality these shoppers showed reminds me of a phrase I came across:

cannibal capitalism is eating its own tail and running out of things to consume.

The victims are just a few of many all over the world being exploited by/for cheap goods - sweat shops, child labor, poaching, melamine in baby formula, inhumane treatment of live-stock for food consumption...the list could go on and on.

It all comes down to greed.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by jhill76

Actually, there was likely nothing those in front could do about stepping on the man; people pushing from the rear would have propelled them forward, whether they wanted to go that way or not. Those in front would have had two choices, move forward across the man, of go down and be trampled themselves.

What is sad, is that people are so desperate to be consumers that they would be in such a herd in the first place.

This is true, for example in my highschool , which was a all boys school, there used to be a tall brick wall outside with a doorway on it, at lunch time all the kids come out of class, this doorway was a big problem, because crowds of teenage boys without patience came from both sides of the wall wanting to go through to the other side.

Once a stampede starts you have to go along with it, because crazy people from behind push and push.

Anyway I'm suprised nobody died
, because many times some guys fell under the crowd and when everything cleared up, you would see a few boys get up slowly from the ground with bloody faces.

Crazy.....

But saying this, somebody could have tried to help the guy, and these are mature adults pushing for a sale? That's just crazy.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What would have happened if once the discovery was made of the trampled employee Walmart made an announcement of the fact and closed the store for 1 hour? One would hope that the shoppers would have been sobered up a bit and had time to reflect on their insanity.
Of course Wallmart would never do such a thing which would hurt their sales.
But had they, I'll bet they would have had a full out riot on their hands to boot.
Pretty disgusting.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I have always said that consumerism is a mental illness, that like above, is forced on us by the media.

Though most sheeple, want to play along anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join