It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worker trampled to death at Long Island Wal-Mart during Black Friday stampede

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is sick and very sad. To trample someone just to get into a freaking store?! Last night on my way home from work, a little after 11PM I drive by a Best BUY and about a hundered people were camped outside waiting for the place to open this morning the temp was about 34 an a light rain. What is wrong with these people? There's nothing in any store where I'd be willing to get in line the night before.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
As sad as this is....I hear these stories every year - every black Friday.
Im not sure this has to do with the economy but it does with over zealous shoppers. One of the [many] reasons why I dont go shopping or out and about early on Friday after Tday.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As someone that worked at Wal-Mart during my post-secondary school education, I feel paticularly bad about this, most of them just wanna finish their shift and get the heck outta there before the manager decides he needs you for another 2 hours. It always used to sicken me around X-mas, with people going nuts over usless crap(I used to work the Electronics department, so I got the really fun X-mas crowd). I hope some of these consumers look back and wonder if their new i-pod nano, or any other status symbol people buy and seriously consider if it was worth a life.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1curious1
I'm just in shock that people, no AMERICANS are so cruel. I'm ashamed of those people.

While I agree that people are cruel and when the herd/masses mentality strikes people are the dumbest animals in the world.

But, it is not only Americans. Things like this happen at soccer games in Europe. It's the herd mentality.

Exactly why I want to leave DC during inaguration when 4 million people come here. Unfortunately I have to work that day.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm sure China is loving this !
Americans maiming and killing over their sweat shop products.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
MSNBC said that a pregnant woman was also trampled and caused her to have a miscarriage.

It's ridiculous

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It has finally hit mainstream media, as above it is on msnbc, and cnn directed me to this link:

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6529135

This makes me cry. What in the world is wrong with people?? There is nothing that could get me to shop on Black Friday. We need to start calling it National IDIOT Day.

This is the direct link to the pictures of the stampede.

www.nydailynews.com...

Another quote from the dailynews link:

""He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

Thank GOD they closed the store after this happened. The pictures of this crowd scare and disturb me.

This picture is very scary, like this is a joking matter. Some Blitz.
assets.nydailynews.com...

[edit on 28-11-2008 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
materialism.

consumerism.

and as someone correctly stated before; affluenza.

eugh. why do people go mental when there's a sale on. i guess it's their choice, but when it causes the death of another human you know it's gone too far.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well the store has been closed for the day as the latest news, so, what a shame for this big retail store.

All for Chinese goods.

Now about the pregnant women I have not heard anything about her.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I wonder if they made an anouncement on the loud speakers that someone in the store died from being trampled on, 3 others are in the hospital, and one woman had a miscarriage, if anyone would actually leave.

If i was in the store and heard that, there would be no way I could continue shopping. I can just picture some people thinking 'oh what a shame, now lemme get that cheap plasma before they run out of stock!'

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Let's not forget the cabbage patch..

Black Friday 2008 Marks 25th Anniversary of the Cabbage Patch Kids Consumer Stampede

On Black Friday 1983, hundreds of thousands of Americans stood in seemingly unending lines braving potential riots at retail stores to secure a Cabbage Patch Kid for the holiday season. News stations around the world featured footage of the so-called "riots," and newspapers splashed accounts of the Cabbage Patch Kids across their headlines. With Black Friday 2008 (November 27) marking the 25th anniversary of this remarkable day in history, 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) and Original Appalachian Artworks, Inc. (OAA) are commemorating the event with a special release of the original 'Kids' that started the Cabbage Patch craze 25 years ago, exclusively available from Play Along®, a division of JAKKS Pacific (NASDAQ: JAKK).

Is it on a cycle? 2 lives lost at Walmart. That poor mother!

[edit on 28-11-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have given up secular belief and have found religion. Only so that I can pray the something or someone will end the minial existence that is 90% of the human race. Hopefully the "NWO" will get this eugenics thing poppin' sometime soon, huh?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
In an attempt to inject some common sense into this thread, let me remind people that for every 100 idiots camped in front of a store, there are 10's of thousands smart enough to stay at home with their families. This is the low end of the Bell curve, and while indeed very sad, especially for the innocent victim and his family, it is in no way representative of what humanity as a whole is.

I would rather pay 30% more a few weeks earlier than be caught up in the middle of a crowd of morons, as would most people.

link   
You obviously beat me to it... Oh well.

Come on people!!! This is utterly insane.

I mean really its only a sale... are people that simple that they stampede at the idea of saving some money?

Apparently so.

Pathetic... truly pathetic.

On NPR this morning they were interviewing people who had camped out all night at a DC Best Buy to be there when it opened at 5AM.

When asked who they were shopping for they said for themselves... and one person added... "You don't think I would be standing in line overnight to buy something for someone else do you?"

So much for the Christmas spirit.

And while the people involved in the stampede are ultimately responsible for what happened at that Wal-Mart... stores bear responsibility as well for encouraging such behavior.

link   
I was in chat yesterday talking about black Friday (cos I'd never heard of it) and someone (can't remember who) predicted that this would happen - actually it was less of a prediction and more of 'some people always get trampled to death'... Turns out they knew what they were talking about.

But I suppose a couple of human lives (one that never got to breath) are an acceptable loss... I mean people have got to get their junk right, and the more you save the more junk you can buy. And everyone knows junk makes you a better person.

This makes me think of that thread about 40,000 (?) people turning up to that farm to pick up all the gathered food (which is a nice offer from the farm - hate to see good food go to waste) - the farm was stunned, are these things indicative of the way things actually are? Or has the media whipped up people into a state brinking on mass panic.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

You are most kind.

After informing my family, an MSM search ensued. Within 1/2 hour we were blessed with the local 'coverage.' This coverage was brief, announcing a tragedy, someone had died of a heart attack during the morning rush to get into the area Walmart. The report was of a single 'casualty, with no mention of the 'stampede' and the miscarriage of another employee's child.

But more importantly, the information itself was couched between local coverage of people waiting overnight, exposing 'happy' consumers, only too willing to endure the freezing overnight conditions to save potentially hundreds of dollars.

Each before and after the report were upbeat and encouraging.

But surely, this can't be 'planned' many would say. Those were just the 'programmed' segments for the day. I alert you to the word "programmed.' The real culprit hiding in plain sight. "Programming."

Wake up consumers, buy one less gift, suffer the consequences of being an inadequate member of this societal pseudo-religious ritual.

Spend, Consume, Obey, Acquiesce, Wait, Silence Dissent.

Will we break the media chain? It CAN be done. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying so hard to avoid the obvious. Media "Programming" is a social engineering tool, placed in the hands of self-serving agencies lacking all but corporate loyalty.

The corporations seem to be winning, but they are tangibly fallible, and their hold on this culture may be in grave peril. Keep speaking out. Their weakening effect on the public 'mind' is beginning to 'register,' no?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A man died at your hands so that you could get a blender for $5... are you proud of yourself, America?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by 1curious1

Hey. I'm an American and as much as I'd like to disagree with you, I can't.
This is disturbing.
The only thing I can compare it to is one of those soccer games where they stampede and hurt/kill people - but over a sale?
They call it black friday over here for a reason.
It's rotten what they've done to the holidays.

The only thing I can compare it to is one of those soccer games where they stampede and hurt/kill people - but over a sale?

I think I know what you mean to say but please refrain from generalising and making such sweeping statements, football fans do not purposely or even accidentally 'stampede' and kill people.

If you have proof of this happening I will be happy to research it
but otherwise I would urge caution when posting such comments.

I am not offended by it or taking the moral high ground, it is just something
that annoys me as those type of comments tend to paint an untrue and unfair picture.

Back to the thread topic, it is intensely sad and really defies belief
that people could behave this way, all for greed.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here's pictures of the mess BEFORE they broke down the door and stampeded the man;
Here

Disgusting! I also think wal-mart should be held liable for posting 'blitz-line starts here' signs. Irresponsible!

Most of these 'nice folks' wanted flat-screen T.V.s apparently!
Not even toys for their kids!

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
A man died at your hands so that you could get a blender for $5... are you proud of yourself, America?

That really hurt?

All Americans are not of this ilk. I assure you, this is not how America was EVER meant to be. Despite the intent of the ruling elite. Hence, our Constitution, which must be defended from all enemies "both foreign and domestic.", get it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join