It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worker trampled to death at Long Island Wal-Mart during Black Friday stampede

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
WELL FOLKS I HAVE A Little DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE.

I will take all of the criticism that you like but I go out every black Friday. It is a family tradition. We gather our sales papers at the end of dinner and go online or out to Walmart and or various other stores to look for deals. We do alot of price matching at Walmart. It is like a scavenger hunt for deals--it is the thrill of the hunt.

NOW death of fellow shoppers is not an acceptable consequence under ANY circumstance.

Not to say its right, its just what we do. Be that as it may, here is the really CREEPY PART!

I even thought about taking pics and making a thread about it to see what people would say about it.

The poster above mentioned how everything is covered in black wrap until 5 am or whatever but this year on ALL OF THESE pallets were the words HAPPY FEET 08/ PENGUINS 08. What does that mean? Has anyone seen "Happy Feet", that can add reasons why they would use that for their code word?

Did anyone else see this at their walmart?

In light of this article about the stampede the "Happy Feet" thing is SICK JUST SICK.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Ah, who knows! What terrifies me about this, is that if people can get this crazy over saving 20% on a television, imagine the mayhem that will occur once it's food we're competing over to get to first at the stores.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I too have taken note of that Ashley D. I agree totally.....I just hope that the lead in our Walmart toys and the melamine in our food will keep us docile enough.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I was out there when this happened but not at Wal-Mart thank God. My friends & I saw the crowd was way to big & decided it wasnt worth it. We went to the mall when we came out it looked like pure chaos by Wal-Mart. I avoid this type of thing so we went the other direction, only to find out later what happened while I was in ToysRus...while im hearing this two people ahead of me on line in ToysRus start fighting over the spot in line! This was my first time out for black Friday, I got some good sales but in the end its really not worth the drama! I'll continue my online shopping!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
totally sick,
people should be able to have pateince and wait there turn for what
ever they want to buy!
To run over someone and kill them is not called for, I thought this would be tought in school. Of course I might be wrong on the school thing because in school the kids are being tought to get to there next class before being late. I am wondering what is more important running in to get something on sale or stopping to save a human life? And then no one
to help is just sick. What about camera's didn't show this, I thought the
cams are being watched by security for this type of thing.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Personally I point blank refuse to do business at Mal-Warts. The Walton's have enough money. I would prefer to pay a little more and give it to a local company and keep the money where it will do the most good... in the community.

Besides I have never thought Mal-Wart stuff was all that cheap anyway... at least in its prices.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
jeez i wonder what made them stampede,maybe there minds were clouded by something,the dazzling lights,you know.

it pretty much sums of modern mankind,incapable of coperating even for the most simplist of tasks,stampeding over goods at a discount,i dont see them stampeding for things infinitly more important such as governance and policy....they never will,good little ai slaves.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
One could understand a "rush" on medicines or food as might be seen in a refugee camp or war torn city ..... but Wal-mart !

WE have created this monster .

One hears the phrase citizens rights less and less these days. It has been replaced by consumer rights , a term i am coming to hate .
Consumer ..............conjures up an image of a large mouth, with a pair of hands . (shivers)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

No one is saying America is soooo bad Josbecky. Not everything is a criticism of America... this is just as easily criticism of crass materialism.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

To get so worked up over a sale is just plain pathetic... PERIOD!!!

[edit on 28-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

To get so worked up over a sale is just plain pathetic... PERIOD!!!
[edit on 28-11-2008 by grover]

To get worked up over religion is worse. Every year hundreds are trampled during one of the muslim holidays.

PERIOD WITH A DOT!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder if our government is using some type of technology to make people go into this buying frenzy.

I hate to say it marg because it sounds so snarky but yes they do have a technology to make people go into a crazy buying frenzy. They use the technology of psychoanalysis combined with the technology of "push messages."

The most common "push messages" are commercials. Commercials provide you with information you neither sought out, asked for, nor require. Commercials are also the least invasive push message because when you watch a commercial you KNOW that you are watching a commercial.

Commercials though are not the only way to push messages into the minds of unsuspecting people. You can use some very subtle techniques that overtime can have a greater affect on the target population than a commercial ever would.

Let me give you an example:
You never see the bad guy in a movie drinking Coke or Pepsi, unless he is the anti-hero, because only the good guys do that. This is a push message creating a subconscious association between being a good person and drinking Coke and Pepsi. This association helps you to feel better about your purchase the next time the machine eats $1.25 for a can of $0.05 sugar water.

Using these two technologies together, you can tailor a message specifically to create a desired response in a mass of people and then disseminate that message to the target without the target's desires, morality, or will-power getting in the way.

With these tools at their disposal, corporations and politicians can manage and mold public opinion instead of simply gauging and reacting to it.

For the last 2 months, the news has been harping on how things will get harder to afford in the coming months and possibly years. For the well conditioned consumer, this is like telling an addict that his drug of choice will not be available ever again. Just like the addict, the consumer will now do anything to ensure that they get "just one more fix."

The result is of course that now the people who seek to mold society are going to instigate things like mandatory pre-registration (spy on the public), increased security (intimidate the public), and place restrictions on the number of people who can be waiting to enter a store (control the public.)

their message creates a PROBLEM
to which there is only one possible REACTION
and then they step in and offer a SOLUTION

Jon

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't think this problem of consumerist extremism is confined to the United States. About 20 years ago, I watched 3 women reverting to savages and basically brawling over a bra with a 50% discount.

The bra didn't survive unscathed, as did a lot of other items that weren't bolted down and all 3 women had bruisemarks, cloven lips and other minor injuries. I watched, fascinated, as the store's security tried to seperate them, and also got a part of the love that was flying around

When a new gadget hits the stores here, like the Wii mentioned earlier, or the I-phone, lines form the evening before or earlier, so the early bird can get at the worms. I don't know if it is the same with these Black Friday's.. imagine waiting over 12 hours in a line-up, just waiting for the signal so you can get trampled into a pulp..

The lines over here in Belgium behave rather civilized for the most part though I think it is only a matter of time before the civility with which these lines behave collapse, and we also get our very own Supermarket-trampling. All it takes is a bit more hype, and a little less civilized behaviour.

I prefer waiting a couple months untill the prices drop, and make sure I do my shopping outside of the sales period.. might cost a bit more but it sure is healthier apparently

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Phatcat]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I saw the photo's listed but where was the security for this event? or
the extra police officers that are on overtime that should be there?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

No one is saying America is soooo bad Josbecky. Not everything is a criticism of America... this is just as easily criticism of crass materialism.

Riiight, grover.

This is just from page 1:

Sorry if this is not meaningful enough for submission. I'm just in shock that people, no AMERICANS are so cruel. I'm ashamed of those people.

If you ever want to see just what the social engineers have done to the American people, just watch one of these 'black Friday' events from a clinically detached perspective, and be prepared to be amazed that the essence of humanity can be nearly eradicated by simply convincing the human that lack of consumption equates to lack of individual worth.

For those of you who scoff at the American mindset, I assure you, it was manufactured and applied to our social model, under the watchful guidance of the media, the government, and the elite .... and it can happen where you live too (if it hasn't begun already.)

I feel very sad to see my fellow Americans falling for this type of mind control.

This country definately suffers Affluenza. We are a more me now society with little regard to others. This is most disguisting that material goods are above the lives of others.

If that is true, why doesn't george bush stand on tv and talk about this, what a shocking statement of american culture.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I don't condone either but with religion one at least aspires to nearness with God... whatever you concieve him to be...

... at a mal-wart black friday sale you aspire nearness with your credit card... a far nobler thing in your mind I am sure.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Imaging shooting someone over a TOY... that's the latest even. Check out the Palm Desert shooting story that's unfolding.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm pretty certain multiple people will be charged with a crime in this particular instance as walmart has security camera's every where it's just a matter of time before people are arrested interrogated and charged.

I would guess manslaughter would be too hard to prove and it would be more along the lines of disorderly conduct but then again they could surprise me and go for manslaughter which I wouldn't have a problem with.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I don't condone either but with religion one at least aspires to nearness with God... whatever you concieve him to be...

... at a mal-wart black friday sale you aspire nearness with your credit card... a far nobler thing in your mind I am sure.

The irony of it is that the high sell products prices were actual raised at my local walmart. Yesterday my family was talking about oh you can get this tv for 600 when the night before the same TV was 499 when I went in looking at it. Plus the Wii rising 50 bucks I had to laugh at the idiots spending more for something that cost less the day before.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join