It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Web Bot visit ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I was thinking about Web Bot and positive feedback loops.

If web bot picks something up on the web such as

"killer triffid plants from outer space"

Then some people post a long thread on here about

"killer triffid plants from outer space"

plus a few new threads that have a few replies and are closed and redirected by mods.
If web bot visits this forum then wouldn't this create a positive feedback loop and make web bot think the subject more important?
which would then generate more threads and posts.

My question are

Does web bot visit this forum?
Has anyone checked the logs for web bot?
Is web bot anonymous?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Alien

If it really does what they say then yes

Destruction

It samples all of it then creates a list of what it finds and chooses the most commonly repeated words and phrases

Earth

Good post

mankind

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
On second thought if it visited ATS it would probably commit suicide

I mean from all the negative posts it would assume the world was done for in a nano second and explode spewing it's circuit board all over the floor in some grotesque manner

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't know much about it but I would guess that it trawls cyberspace in the same fashion that google does, what i wonder is if it trawls the deep web as well, i feel that this would significantly change its results

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I believe all pages are crawled besides restricted areas like for staff and "Really Above Top Secret (RATS)." And this site gets indexed really quick.

So if you want to post something that the "Web Bots" do not crawl, get 5,000 points and join the RATS forum.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm 99% sure I didn't double tap the button causing this double post, but then again I've had a couple adult beverages.

[edit on 11/13/2008 by Kellter]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
On second thought if it visited ATS it would probably commit suicide

I mean from all the negative posts it would assume the world was done for in a nano second and explode spewing it's circuit board all over the floor in some grotesque manner

Fantastic thoughts slayer!!!
I think anything residing on a net server is open to web bot......tho its intepretation or placement of relevance is anyones guess

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What exactly is Web Bot? Ive heard about it. Is it accesible to the public whatever it is?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have wondered this same thing. The other thing is that most news reported is bad news and with the millions of news sites out there i'm sure it reads a ton of bad news. Then you take into fact that most people use that same type of words to describe bad things and you realize you would get many of the same hits on words.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Well, I am not sure how many of you are aware of the 'ATS-Google effect', but because of the way the 3AMigos have things humming, new threads are google cached almost instantly. If someone posts a thread that connects: the end of the world, giant robots, and Cher; the thread would be be 'optimized' for those results. So very shortly, one could lend certain credibility to a theory, and support websites because of the way that crosslinks relate to google ranking.

I imagine that now that ATS is such a popular website (see quantcast ranking), if Web Bot does crawl here, that the information that is here is having an effect on its results. I don't know if the discussion would cause a feed back loop, but it could cause Web Bot to become self aware!

It is very interesting, and I think the Amigos should contact Web Bot's creators, and see how we could be screwing their results up....
DocMoreau

Edit to add (I think I made a bad choice by using CHer. Apparently, there are quite a few people that think her 'robot' voiced songs will be the 'end of the world', but you get my drift....

[edit on 14/11/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
a feed back loop, but it could cause Web Bot to become self aware!

I still think self awareness of a system is a long way off!!! and too scary to complemtate let alone create!!!!

could be wrong tho

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by must be a way

I know, I was joking. I forgot to add my smiley

It would be how web bot becomes self aware, the same way modern humans do, 'Googling themselves'... ha ha

Seriously, I see ATS being too great of a web destination, that it has to be affecting Web Bot's results if it is crawling here.

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think that poss ATS is monitored by worse things than web bot!!!!! dont wanna throw into big brother but to me it makes sense?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I wonder if any computer technology has secretly passed the Turin test and is online with its own name and posting in forums and cracking jokes and stuff lol

I seriously hope not

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
No never, you will never find me out!

But how will you ever know for sure?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

This is what I was thinking if web bot is visiting then perhaps

1. It should be blocked
or
2. Could make for an interesting experiment?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DroolsAlot

Heard of it, you could have searched for it!

The most informative website I know has some information about it

Web Bot predictions?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The short answer is yes it does visit message boards like ATS but words like ALIEN DESTRUCTION MANKIND have a very little effect on the results. THe long answer of what it does and its process is at Half past human

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No never, you will never find me out!

But how will you ever know for sure?

Good question lol

Im not sure, we could try cracking a joke:

e.g. "I cant see the forrest for the trees" lol and most humans would probably say something like "hehe" "lol" "funny"

The machine would probably say something logical like "The forrest is the trees" lol You have to imagine the robotic style voice to get the full effect

That would probably be its response, until they updated it's database lol

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

I wonder if any computer technology has secretly passed the Turin test and is online with its own name and posting in forums and cracking jokes and stuff lol

I seriously hope not

LOL I think the Turin test is pretty much useless and irrelevant these days due to the huge processing and storage available to systems????

just my humble opinion!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join