It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus costume gets child sent home from school

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
If the crown and beard were removed, what would be left? A white robe? Removing the crown and the beard changes the costume from Jesus to "random guy wearing white."

A member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Perhaps the school had its own agenda...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I say hooray for the school! That's right, HOORAY!

Jesus does not belong at school. The school was simply thinking of everyone by making that decision. After all, had they allowed him to stay, next year everyone would be dressing up as whatever personal savior they worship.
Kids would be burnt at the stake and labeled "devil worshiper." School counselors would be playing sex ed videos backwards to find the hidden satanic messages that they all surely contain.

All joking aside, I agree with the school's decision. My kids have the choice to worship whatever god they want free from any influence. Even if that influence is just a "costume."

I could go on for days, but whats the point really?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Looks straight to me I dont think theyd let anyone go as satan.
Or mahamad for that matter. Or buhda. So no jesus kthx. Or I can
go on forever. I totally agree religion belongs at home or in your
place of worship.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
you all have to understand something.....Halloween to most christians, who actually read they're bible, is sacreligious, in the bible were are explicitedly told to abstain from things dealing with witchcraft, ghosts, monsters, demons, etc. Halloween dates back to times when the celtics believed that on Halloween eve the boundary between the dead and the living dissolved, and the dead would cause problems. in Christianity, it is suppose to be against our religion to associate with these things. now most people today of course don't see anything wrong with kids dressing up and getting candy, but thats not the point, picture a Jewish child bringing home a ham for dinner, or a muslim child dressing up as Mohammed on a muslim sacreligious day, etc, Halloween to Christianity is not a good thing, if you are deep in your faith, (not a fundie, or extreme) by deep I mean, you have faith in God and Jesus, and your read your bible, and you go to church, and you try your best to do what God instructs us to do, then Halloween is not suppose to be for the christian faith. Which is why I don't understand the parent's confusion, if they believe in Jesus, then they should have known this. Yes Jesus was a great man, , a perfect man, and therefore dressing up as him on one of the most sacreligious holidays to a christian is cause for concern.
I have to take issue with you Anon.It's true that Halloween was the Celtic New Year(Samhain)but here in the UK we were a pagan nation for centuries before Christianity came along.In fact it's a well known fact that Christianity hijacked a lot of pagan festivals ,turning Eoestrus into Easter etc and a lot of churches were built on pagan temples.The persecution of many women who were wise women and healers(aka witches or women with power)is a huge blot on Christianity.It's true Halloween is when the veil is at it's finest but I suppose it's how you view life after death.If you believe in the spirit world then Halloween is no biggie and remember Halloween has always been big in Ireland who are very psychic nation who accept the existence of ghosts as a natural part of life but who are also deeply religous.I'm not condeming your belief system I'm just saying that I think there is alot of misunderstnding about paganism in the US.But going back to the original post I think it's disrespectful really to dress your child as Jesus for Halloween.If I was a Christian I'd be upset too.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by candyfloss

Well said candyfloss. Over here in the "land of the free" if your not christian, then you must be a devil worshiper. Its truly amazing how people of different faiths are treated, or, mistreated i should say.

You would think that since the message of "the christ" is love, the good 'ole usa would be a mighty fine place since it's full of so many devout christians.

If I were "the christ," I would not be proud of my flock thats for sure!

I'll stop there cause if I keep going I'm sure I will end up offending someone.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by anonamousantichrist]

[edit on 3-11-2008 by anonamousantichrist]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was raised in a Christian home. We went to church every Sunday, dressed all nice, said our little prayers. I remember the pastor talking about Halloween being an evil, pagan holiday and that none of us should be celebrating. None of the Christian mommies should be letting their children dress up in costumes. My parents were pretty religious folks, and they never made me sit at home on Halloween. My mother was always very enthusiastic about it and would take my brothers and I trick-or-treating every year. I honestly don't even know about all of the background and history of Halloween, but it's not like I was out sacrificing children and cats and drinking blood and worshiping Satan. It's a fun day and I think Christians need to stop being so uptight about it. Let the kids have fun. I'm glad I wasn't brought up as a Jehovah's witness. Then I wouldn't have been able to celebrate anything.

Also, pertaining to the original post, I think it's completely stupid that the boy was sent home for dressing as Jesus. Who gives a crap? I remember kids dressing up as Satan in school, and they never got in trouble for it. HALLOWEEN IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. LIGHTEN UP.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Did you even read the article you posted?

Yes I read it and I have the saem questions,did the devils have to take off their horns and tails? did the witches have to take off their hats and noses? Explain to me how a beard was offensive, or was it the overall picture that gave, and by removing it you basically had a hippie in a robe or a Greek in a toga but most assuredly no Jesus...

The attacks on Christianity are becoming more and more blatant and the moment you support suppressing the Rights of one group of Americans you support the suppression of ALL AMERICANS. I would have been irate if they had made the devil take off his horns and tail but not the witches or the Jesus, discrimination and unfairness is discrimination and we have Rights in this nation, or at least we used to. I find it abhorrent that the school could pick and choose which costumes they wanted to allow, the only ones I would say could lawfully be removed would be those that were either illegal or showed nudity. The thought that you tell a child his costume is not acceptable while letting others dress in theirs is ridiculous at best and discrimination at worst. Either no one gets to wear a costume or everyone gets to wear one, again within Community standards. No guns, no nudity or anything inappropriate to a reasonable person. Jesus is NOT an inappropriate costume nor is it offensive to reasonable people just as little witches and devils at Halloween are not offensive to reasonable people...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
Satan lives in that person who made this unconstitutional abhorrent decision.

I tend not to take such a Manichean position because it precludes the appearance of more important evidence. You could have easily denoted your detest for the decision, and also not have condemned the man for having made it. It's a much more productive way of going about things. Criticizing another man's action is much more effective than criticizing the man himself, for the action makes the man, and he will ultimately accede to your will... that is if you persuade him appropriately... if you prove his actions were biased and unjust, and by extension intolerable [to society as a whole].

[edit on 3-11-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

You know, I just watched a History Channel special on Halloween, and was a bit surprised. It is not what I always thought it was. I had one of those early preachers who declared it a 'day of evil' too.

According to this show, Halloween itself was definitely a Christian holiday, all hallow's (saint's) eve. That was the evening prior to all hallow's (saint's) day, a church-declared celebration of every saint who did not already have a day set aside for them. Of course, it was placed to coincide with the pagan holiday (another poster gave the name of that, so I'm not gonna fry any neurons trying to remember), but that is nothing unusual. Christmas and Easter had similar backgrounds.

The witches and demons were actually introduced by the church in order to discredit those who did not want to give up their original holiday for the new one! It can be very enlightening to actually listen to others sometimes...

I don't care anything about Halloween personally. I don't forbid my kids from trick-or-treating, but as for myself, it's just another day (albeit with plenty of horror movies on TV
).

I think the costume thing should be for the evening, though. Not for schools. Learning is more important than playing dress-up.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonamousantichrist
All joking aside, I agree with the school's decision. My kids have the choice to worship whatever god they want free from any influence. Even if that influence is just a "costume."

Free from any influence? Where do you get that? Freedom from influence is not a constitutional right. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, those ARE constitutional rights.

The law of the land is that state employees cannot influence the kids in favor of one religion or another. However, kids themselves have always been allowed by law to express their spirituality at school. Kids do not work for the state and therefore their "influence" is not sponsored by the state. In fact it is illegal to STOP them from expressing their spirituality - because it is illegal to make laws forbidding religion. Schools are not bastions of rigorously enforced atheism. Schools are places where state-employed adults are not allowed to indoctrinate your kids.

Your kids are influenced by their peers in countless other ways. Peer influence is part of the human experience. Of COURSE they should be exposed to other kids' religious ideas. You are never promised freedom from religion. Just freedom OF religion. And if you choose to not worship anything, then you must be tolerant of those who do.

As has been stated, there were doubtless plenty of witches, zombies, ghouls, and devils at school that day. Whether you agree with the concept of Halloween or not, to send Jesus home and let all these others stay was a blatant violation of the establishment clause. Period.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by OuttaHere]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Jesus showed us how to love each other. He showed us the most wonderful gift when He offered up his own body on the cross to save all mankind from ourselves. You may not choose to believe in Jesus BUT you can be sure Jesus believes in YOU.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Unfortunately ALLL "holidays" are corporate commercial endeavors with little "original"meaning... And even so,does this mean you would like to BAN ALL other humans from "celebrating" "christian" events if there not devoutly that?!... ...Everybody wants freedom,and Everybody wants control...HmmmHmmmHmmm

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm not one for organized religion, but sending a kid home for school for dressing up like Jesus at Halloween? That's crossing the line.

No one would send a kid home for dressing up like Mohammed, or Moses, or Santa Claus would they? Well, probably Mohammed. They'd probably be stoned to death for dressing up like Mohammed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join