It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus costume gets child sent home from school

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican

Originally posted by Reddupo
That is inappropriate for our current society.

So a muslim child could dress as jesus, (as long as he doesn't wear a crown of thorns) but a christian child dressing like Mohamed would be "inappropriate for our current society"?

Holy ridiculous double standard batman!

Its extremelly highly unlikely, although not totally impossible, that a Muslim child would do that.
Double standards, yes!
In fact im sure there is triple and quadruple standards.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

This is wrong on so many levels I don't know what to say. Did all the witches and devils have to leave or remove their costumes too, if this was my child I would have had that principle off his feet by his throat and demanded to be arrested so a Jury would see what this low life piece of trash did to my child in discrimination. I would beat his ass to put it simply, mess with my children, single them out to discriminate against them and see what happens...

Now is that what Jesus would do? We all know that he had a bit of a temper, what with flipping tables in the temple and all, but as far as violence... I think he would rather you turn the other cheek.

Satan lives in that person who made this unconstitutional abhorrent decision.

Also, doesn't the Bible say something about "Judge not, lest ye be judged"?

I have no problem with the school asking the boy to remove the crown of thorns, although the beard perplexes me. Maybe a security issue? Maybe the students' faces had to be visible at all times so that they could be recognized as belonging at the school? Don't know.

I have a problem with people who are looking for a reason to fly off of the handle and go Chuck Norris on someone for no real reason.

Besides, if the child had dressed up as Jesus in a mocking fashion to make fun of Christianity, I'm sure that opinions about this costume would be quite different.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

This is wrong on so many levels I don't know what to say. Did all the witches and devils have to leave or remove their costumes too, if this was my child I would have had that principle off his feet by his throat and demanded to be arrested so a Jury would see what this low life piece of trash did to my child in discrimination. I would beat his ass to put it simply, mess with my children, single them out to discriminate against them and see what happens...

Satan lives in that person who made this unconstitutional abhorrent decision.

www.northjersey.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

that is a very christian attitude! what would jesus do? why he'd hoist the principal off his feet by the throat.

i totally agree with your instinct to protect your genetic offspring by violence if necessary--in this case you're in the right and it's the christian slavery ethos that's hypocritical. your gut feeling is correct, it's the "g_d" others invented and you worship who is in the wrong. sin all the more, mon ami, sin all the more.

it was daft to send the kid home for dressin up like jesus though. i've always loved long hair and bathrobes and christ is one of my favorite fictional characters, up there with zaphod beeblebrox and that talking baby from family guy.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have a few problems with this incident, but not over the religious aspects. The boy was told he could keep his costume if he took off the fake beard and crown. Would they not come off, I wonder?

but here's where I find things strange:

In order to do that, she said, Woinski had to leave work and pick her son up from West Brook Middle School so he could go home and shower.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ate who? Is there a stink bomb in that crown? Is the fake beard hiding some terrible stain that cannot be shown in public? I'd like to know exactly what was the problem with removing the items, and why was a trip home required, especially for a mid-day shower?

“As much as we want to have our kids enjoy celebrations, whether it’s through school spirit week or something like this, the fact of the matter is we certainly are here for the central purpose of education,” said Montesano.

Sounds to me like the school (the Board of Ed anyway) has their priorities right. Why is someone allowed to dress up in a Halloween costume for school anyway? Isn't that for after school?

When she went to pick her son up from school, administrators were unavailable to speak with her regarding the matter.

The administrators weren't available? Really? What happened to demanding they speak to you?

I have been in my kids school when the principal and vice-principal were otherwise detained, but I always was able to simply state "I need to see them, now" and they would take care of any questions I had. If I was going to have to take off work over a costume that appeared appropriate to me, especially if I felt it was over religious intolerance, I would not have left until I got to talk with someone in authority. What are they gonna do, kick you out so you can't take your kid home?

All of this sounds like someone had a chip on their shoulder. As much as I love to fight against religious intolerance, I don't think this is such a case.

(All excerpts are from www.northjersey.com... )

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just weird...

I just had this thought that the kid should have just kept coming back dressed as figures from all the different religons he could think of all day long.

Come as Jesus - get sent home..
Show up again dressed up as Mohammed - get sent home
Show up dressed as Buddha - get sent home..

Would be interesting to see how many religions he could get through before he found one they liked.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Ate who? Is there a stink bomb in that crown? Is the fake beard hiding some terrible stain that cannot be shown in public? I'd like to know exactly what was the problem with removing the items, and why was a trip home required, especially for a mid-day shower?

The beard and crowns could have been done with makeup or paint or something.

Originally posted by Frogs
Maybe I'm just weird...

I just had this thought that the kid should have just kept coming back dressed as figures from all the different religons he could think of all day long.

Come as Jesus - get sent home..
Show up again dressed up as Mohammed - get sent home
Show up dressed as Buddha - get sent home..

Would be interesting to see how many religions he could get through before he found one they liked.

better yet, he should have come back in a devil costume...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

I suppose it is possible that the problem was due to make-up; however a 'crown of thorns' doesn't seem a make-up item to my thinking, and this snippet from the original source ( www.northjersey.com... ):

Alex Woinski, who already has shoulder-length brown hair, donned a long white robe with a red sash, a fake beard, sandals and a crown of thorns.

suggests to me that the beard was some sort of wearable device. Perhaps it was glued on?

In any case, I still think this is being blown out of proportion, and that children shouldn't be wearing Halloween costumes to school unless there is a specific school-sponsored function planned, in which case the school should have the responsibility for specifying exactly what is and is not appropriate. The comments by the Superintendent lead me to believe this is not the case.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
that kid must have been stoked to go home early.

if i were still in school i would go as jesus, just so i could get sent home early too.

on a serious note. that is messed up.. but.. i mean at my school growing up we werent even allowed at all to dress up for halloween.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
absolute totalitarian ridiculousness.
damn, that is not just silly, it's propaganda/thought police crap.

a kid could go dressed as freddy kruger, a vampire, SATAN, a zombie, an evil birthday clown, an alien, a flower, a fairy, a pumpkin, the easter bunny or santa clause, or just about any damn thing that isn't sexual, and it would be fine.
but, put if the child looks like a religious icon that is supposed to be our GOD, then they are persecuted? jesus, the guy who was all about peace and love? jesus, "god's son who died for our sins"?

what a sick, twisted world.

p.s. i didn't read the article.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by billybob

It helps to read the article you know.... other kids were asked to change their costumes as well.

Maybe, if the school was so bent on policing what the kids wear, they should have sent out a letter to the parents a few days before the day setting out a few guidelines.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

well, i found thirty seconds and read the article.

thought police.

"inappropriate costumes"?????

"DISRUPTIVE"? on halloween?

they should issue government approved costumes(i'll assume that means orange jumpsuits) to avoid children expressing themselves.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

That's easy. I'm sure lots of kids were in red suits with horns and didn't get sent home. Hmmmm that's a religious figure too, isn't it?

Separation of church and state, suuuure.

More like separation of religions not popular with the political correctness police.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by OuttaHere]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

They're so lucky that wasn't me when I was in 8th grade. I would have removed the crown of thorns and come back to school carrying a huge cross, like I was being persecuted by the school. Just so they would send me home again.

I'm with you on that ashamedamerican, I feet the same way...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rikk7111

They're so lucky that wasn't me when I was in 8th grade. I would have removed the crown of thorns and come back to school carrying a huge cross, like I was being persecuted by the school. Just so they would send me home again.

I'm with you on that ashamedamerican, I feet the same way...

As long as its a cross and not a rifle.

I wouldn't put it past some of these kids...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
LOL...Maaan...It wasn't even excessive use of blood or anything like that!??!... Crown of thorns?!...Pffft...for the last 2yrs of school,i wore i tuque with ONE INCH spikes ALLL the way around...Never got questioned about its safety once...LOL ...This word is SO afraid of its self!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Actually anybody who is calling himself/herself a real devote Christian should never participate in Halloween . I know its nice and fun to get your kid dressed up and go have fun and get candy , but this is not a Christian holiday its a pagan one and from what I remember Christians do not like pagans .

So OP if you are such a devote Christian to make a fuss about something like that then go ahead and read the bible a bit more and check out what would Jesus think about Christians playing around with pagan holidays.

Not to mention the little fact that to some people this holiday is pretty important and well its like making a mockery out of , I don't know Christmas but who cares right ? Its not a Christian holiday so we can make an idiotic event out of it and then go around and complain that something isn't the way it was supposed to be (not having a clue how this holiday really should look like and what it is for )

Aye but try and make fun of some Christian special day..... oh boy ... no comment heh.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Schools do go a bit funny over Jesus. When I went to school, I had longish hair and a bit of a beard, and that was my nickname. We shared our campus with a Catholic college, and when one of their teachers overheard a friend calling me Jesus, he lost it at him.

He then told me that I should shave. I replied that in the near future, he would have the opportunity to tell the real Jesus that too. He lost it at me too!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

TheHypnoToad:
I have no problem with the school asking the boy to remove the crown of thorns, although the beard perplexes me. Maybe a security issue?

If the crown and beard were removed, what would be left? A white robe? Removing the crown and the beard changes the costume from Jesus to "random guy wearing white."

Thill:
this is not a Christian holiday its a pagan one

That's never stopped Christians from celebrating pagan holidays before. You think the Yule log in your house, and the fat man with flying reindeer has anything to do with Christ? What about bunny rabbits and easter eggs? Christians have a long history of adapting pagan holidays, so I don't see why they'd refrain from halloween.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by LordBucket]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Yep, he probably passed right by someone putting the mexican flag above an upside down American flag on his way out of the school......

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
Haha, Christianity is communism? You guys are creative...

But what was Christ himself?

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. - Matthew 6:19 NAS

Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." - Matthew 19:21 NAS

Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God - Matthew 19:24 NAS

Jesus actively healed and helped the poor, the sick, and the hungry all for no charge. Jesus believed you should spread your wealth to help others. Jesus did not believe one should aim to be rich.

He doesn't sound like a Capitalist to me

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join