It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you in the path of Gustav? (post here)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hey guys just wanted to start this thread for the members and staff of ATS who are in the path of this hurrican,

Let us know who you are and what your plans are,

Hopefully we can keep updated and send you lots of good vibes, WE all will be thinking of you,

Also this will be good so when it all passes we can hopefully get you back on and tell us you are all fine,

GOOD LUCK! And PLEASE stay safe as you can,

Asala

[edit on 29-8-2008 by asala]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I U2Ued argentus last night to check on him and his family as they live in Jamaica. He responded "so far so good". He said he'd check in when it was over. Fingers crossed.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thanks for letting us know, Hopefully he will be fine

Any updates please let us know,

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am in Houston and we are ready in case we need to leave.

If we do, we will most likely head toward Austin.

Where we live we aren't as close to the coast as some, but seeing as we have only been here in Houston since 2-2006 and not been through any hurricanes, we're not sure what to expect.

When I was a kid, we lived down here, but (being a kid), I don't remember a lot about any hurricanes except that it rained a lot.

Marilyn~

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It might not be a bad idea for all of you in NOLA, Houston, TX or any of the other areas that are potential landfall targets to check in here so we can at least pray (or whatever you may wish to do) for you and your loved ones.

Good luck and God Bless those who may be in harm's way.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Hi Asala and everyone else...

As of now, my home (on the border of Iberia & upper St. Martin parishes) is in line for a direct hit from the center of Gustav. I live about 20 miles from the coast of central Louisiana.

We will shelter in place...well-prepared, on high ground, big ole brick house. We've always sheltered in place and have experienced many major hurricanes (including Andrew in 1992)...terrifying, but had no significant damage. We're gonna batten down the hatches, fire up the generator, and ride it out.

If Gustav shows up at my front door, I'll do my best to keep my ATS peeps updated and post photos.
Thanks for the good vibes

Ezzi

[edit on 29-8-2008 by ezziboo]

[edit on 29-8-2008 by ezziboo]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
ezziboo GOod luck and please stay safe, Even if you want to get pics lol,

Your saftey must come first !
HOpe you ride this one out well and we will look forward to your update,

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm from Mississippi. Not yet in line for a direct hit, but not taking chances. I am far enough inland that i feel we are safe. So i will do my best to help with updates.
All hotels in my area are full, water and gas has sold out at many local walmarts and stations. There is not one generator to be bought for at least a hundred miles.
More people are taking this storm serious than i have seen in a long while.
Everyone knows its on the way into the gulf, now the next wonder is Hannah...
A double hit for any one area would be far too devastating.
So folks, gets as far inland as you can. And know that many of us at ats is watching and waiting, ready to help when its all over with.
Good Luck,
Karen

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My dad is in Louisiana, and sometimes, he can contact other oil companies along the coast, on the radio, so if I hear some good info, I will post it. He talked to some people after Hurricane Katrina, and knew that there were dead bodies floating down the street. He was able to talk to people in Tickfaw and a few other places. Also, I have relatives that work on offshore oil rigs, and I know they will be evacuated, but they might have some info, also!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm in Bryan, Texas, which is about 100 miles from Houston, TX. We are pretty safe here, but our area is expected to open shelters for those fleeing the storm. I was at Wal-mart this morning and saw many people buying water and gas cans. When Rita hit the coast 3 years ago, the local stores ran out of water, bread, milk, cereal and canned goods. It was very strange to see the shelves totally empty at Wal-mart. And the funny part was we didn't receive one drop of rain, or wind for that matter.

Also we had many evacuees when Katrina hit. So we are preparing for the worst, but hoping and praying that this storm will weaken.

Good luck to all.

Here are a couple of links from my hometown newspaper (The Eagle) that talk about how many shelters & things of that nature we are prepared to open should the need arise.

www.theeagle.com...

www.theeagle.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thanks for letting us know and thats for info,

Seems its getting stonger as its heading towards Cuba,

Keep safe and keep updated
The hurricane watch thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
National Guard convoy just rolled past my house, headed into New Iberia. They ain't messin around with this situation....

Ezzi

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Guys and girls please please take heed, This is turning in to a monster storm! Its getting bigger, See above thread,

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Just in case they dont get a chance to come on here,

Our mod - Niteboy82 --- He is heading out of NO

Member minnie -- Heading out

and Kits -- heading out,

Just so everyone who may worry about them knows that they are planning to head out of there areas,

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hey all,

I'd talked with SD about Jamaica, and Jamaican influences, and I'm naturally paranoid and thus not-so-forthcoming, so it was easy to misunderstand..... we live on Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands, and just had Gustav here.

part of my email [reprinted with permission] to SD:

We're well in the clear now, SD. Thanks much for watching out for us. Based upon BP measurements and monitoring the COC on my Bride's Blackberry, combined with HH recon data, I believe that we had a Cat 2 that morphed into a Cat 3 not far from us. If those were 85 mph winds, then I'm your auntie haha! Yeah, good deductive reasoning, that.

We just got power restored an hour ago. Many power poles down -- more than 40, and that's a lot for an island which sports 1500 people. Power lines down, roofs damaged. Thankfully, no loss of life. The "Lord's Day" is going to be filled with the merry whine of chainsaws tomorrow. I saw this morning two coconut trees of ours snapped in half, looking like they were cut down by a chainsaw. That was some fiercesome wind. Still rainy, squally, lightning here. Really concerned now for Cuba, and the U.S. in Gustav's path. I think the windshear might well chop ol' Gus down quite a bit, and looking at the steering currents and the ULL to the west, I kinda think it'll take a turn toward Mobile or eastward. We'll see.

Well, we're pooped. It's been a pretty much sleepless period. We had battery-powered fans, and all our systems worked well. Our house was not damaged at all. Cats are petulant; they feel I'm being draconian in keeping them inside tonight.

As I said, really concerned for Cuba, and GOM residents beyond. Hopefully windshear can chop Gustav a bit. Perhaps we can enlist the skills of a real meteorologist -- OZ -- to talk about this storm. Me, I'm just a weather geek.

Cayman Islands -- no reported loss of life. Everything else is stuff. We can make new stuff.

Everybody please be safe, and if anyone wants to talk about hurricane preps or systems, post here or U2U me if you're shy. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread in case I can help out. Right now, going to get some long-overdue sleep.

Can I get an "Amen" for windshear? I hope that didn't offend anyone. I don't mind at all telling you all that northward of us are in our prayers. I don't believe that prayer hurts a bit.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I am in Dallas. Not in the direct path, but we sometimes get very severe thunderstorms and tornados from the last parts of the gulf hurricanes.

Anyways, up here we're getting ready for and influx of Refugees--we got thousands from Katrina, and I (don't really) hope that this time we will be better prepared for an influx of people if it happens that way.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hi all,

I'm just outside of Lafayette, LA. Approximately 50 miles form the coast. Got our brick home boarded up and enough food and water provisions for the week or more it will take to get things started up again. Our home isn't in a flood area, so wind and projectile threats are the only major concern. Last major hurricane that damaged our area was Lily. Power was out for a week for us, others were out longer.

A friend of the family is the primary meteorologist for this area and he said that Louisiana hasn't seen the likes of a storm like this one in ages. I get the impression that he thinks that Gustav is going to do to Louisiana what Andrew did to Florida. He things Morgan City is going to be wiped off the map.

This will be a worse hurricane than Katrina or Rita. Neither of those were bad hurricanes. The problems that came out of those mostly were from people not evacuating, the levees in New Orleans failing and the piss poor management by the State, FEMA and the City of New Orleans. If the levees hadn't broken, Katrina wouldn't be a well remembered storm.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Hi Not in the path of Gustav as I live in the UK but a friend sent me this Hurricane Tracker.

HURRICANE TRACKER

[edit on 31-8-2008 by ajsr71]

[edit on 31-8-2008 by ajsr71]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

You bring up an excellent point -- potential for tornado spinoff. I don't recall the exact figure of those created from Fay, however I believe it was in the realm of 50-60. Fay was scorned by some as a "nonissue"... due primarily to it being a TS rather than hurricane. A TS might be no big deal for a rocky little island as this one, but for areas prone to mudslides, flood, it's a killer, and Fay WAS a killer -- just how large of a killer might never be known. What is known is the millions of dollars in damage it caused.

Because of the potential for tornado, folks along all of the areas of influence of Gustav should be paying attention. NOAA alert radios have gotten very inexpensive -- we should all have them.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Louisiana Contra-Flow evacuation plan:

www.dotd.state.la.us...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join