It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Some interesting exercises about how we perceive time.

www.grasshopper.com...

If you do what they ask on the site you can actually see time stop.

Also this past week while on vacation my brother and my friend noticed if you look at a fan that is spinning and then blink repeatedly it seems to slow down and or stop moving. We were able to determine how many blades were on these fast moving industrial fans even though it just looks like a blur. We jokingly called it "ninja vision". Pretty cool stuff
. Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I could get it to stop sometimes, not everytime, but it was fairly interesting until my eyes started hurting.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I swear I got it to tick back a little. Freaked me out

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
but why does it only happen when you are NOT looking at the second hand?
IMO just an illusion. i would also only count that someone could stop time if they could actually do it for a longer period of time like 15-30 seconds.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
also if you COULD stop time. the instructions wouldnt be
"look away from the clock and you can STOP TIME INSTANTLY!!!"

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It doesnt actually stop, its just your eyes dont perceive the tiny flickering movements. It looks good, but the hand still moves, your eyes just register the bigger movemnets so it looks slower. Compare it with a stopwatch if you want, the same amount of time will pass

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The fan effect is known as the stroboscopic effect.

The fact is that human beings have a frame rate of about 30 cycles per second, just like movies. We constantly blink in and out of awareness.

That is not stopping time when you blink looking at a fan. It is synchronizing your frame rate with the relative position of a fan blade, not necessarily the same fan blade even, just the blade that is nearest the position you are focusing on. They used to put a sticker with spoke on it on the back of floppy disc drives, you put the drive under a fluorescent lamp with a 60 cycle flicker and you can adjust the speed of rotation accurately by synchronizing it to look like the spokes are standing still.

I promise you the drive was still spinning, time had not stood still, neither had the drive. You might even have to speed it up to make it look like it was still.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian

I promise you the drive was still spinning, time had not stood still, neither had the drive. You might even have to speed it up to make it look like it was still.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

Exactly. thats the same effect that makes car wheels look like they are going backwards when they gain speed.
because you see the frames get nearer and nearer the same position and when you do it stands still.
if you dont care about the facts and ACTUALLY beleive you stopped time, turn the tv on and see if when you do it the tv and peoples voices are stuttering. and of course they wont.....

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

yes please STOP the time for a while

because it´s running real running
did this realized someone ??? an hour is still 60 minutes a minute is still 60 seconds but what has happend to the seconds the have become faster as it seems OMG where do we run to ??? and I mean it : )

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
>.> i haven't stopped time but i have slowed it down in moments of extreme stress

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I never said time actually stopped I just said it appears that way.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the majority of you didn't read the follow-up thread.

It explains it in there.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulstone
I never said time actually stopped I just said it appears that way.

Not to be argumentative (just precise), but yes, you did.

If you do what they ask on the site you can actually see time stop.

Remember?
(And that's not counting the very title of the thread!
)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Yes see it stop. That doesn't mean it does. Now do this forum a favor and don't bring up topics for arguments sake. Which is exactly what you did.
Honestly

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Soulstone]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
ive never stoppd time but ive slowed it down considerably...

just try boiling water to cook speggetti when your hungry ill garentee you it will take ages

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

Lol well that is your perception of time. But is time nothing more than a perception?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

I still don't quite understand. For example whenever I have done it, the fan looks like one swirl. But when I blink rapidly I see how many blades are actually on the fan. I can see what I can't normally. I'm trying to understand this better. Maybe dumb it down a bit?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
In my personal understanding:
Time is simply a truncated perception of our Genetic mind. From the moment we are old enough to learn we are taught the particular reality of the current Society that we live in of the rules and regulations of how, what, when to do in an orchestrated linear day.
In reality time is not about the increments of boxed moments of seconds, minutes, days, months, years etc.
All the time that there ever was and ever will be is all right now.

Try living with an Indigenous tribal Community for 6 months or more and come back and tell us here at ATS what your perception of time felt like?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

You know I might actually do that. But first I have a plan to catch for Nepal in a few months.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

Yeah you will never quite forget it as your whole perception of time and what is and how it is merely a psychological controling device will change your outlook on life.

"Ketcha satay"

<<   2  3 >>

join