It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we. The Universe exist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
Again, to what purpose?
What is the ultimate point of existing AT ALL?

There is no more purpose to it all than there is purpose in writing a poem or a song.

I don't think what you're looking for exists. The universe exists for itself; it is not useful or practical to anything else, because nothing else exists but it.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
We have the ability to ask... WHY?

It does not follow that there is an answer to the question.

If the answer to everything was told to you, and you understood it, you could in reply ask... why?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think of the Universe as a parasite. It needs energy to live survive. We as everything else are the food of the universe. If we grow the Universe grows. The Universe its a living being just a little bigger than we are. We are small tiny little cell that die and regenerate. Look around yourself on planet earth the same thing goes on and on in a smaller scale everyday. The Universe will die eventually because and when it will die it will only be only a small cell of something bigger than the Universe itself . I we she he they cannot comprehend. You cannot understand yourself you are blocked by your own brain in doing it same rule applies to the Universe. On another point of view you and I are simply God creating our own Universe. Its a theory that regards infinity: very small infinity is equalin absolute to a very large infinity, taking the equation of 0.99999999 periodic equal to 1 you define small infinity to large infinity or at the same time you limit it. Look at that equation and find your own solution to it than you will understand what is the meaning of life. Anyway think positive and everything will be fine

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states
why do I never win the lottery is it bad or good luck or by chance that I dont win ? is it by chance that that we the universe exist or was it good or bad luck that we the universe exist, Impossible question with Impossible answer

I would have to say from my own understanding you have/had/having won the lottery and are going/gone/going to be kicking back living the good life in ....alternate parallel Universes

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
We have the ability to ask... WHY?

It does not follow that there is an answer to the question.

If the answer to everything was told to you, and you understood it, you could in reply ask... why?

When One knows all there is to know then the need to ask, "Why?" is an obsolete term in itself

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

The answer I believe.. is because life can exist.

Everything is different, yet everything is the same.. or as a certain member would say... 'all is one'.

Not everything needs a reason, a use or a purpose.

edit: p.s. ad astra is a great song

[edit on 18/8/08 by GhostR1der]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
When asking "what is the purpose of X," the answer will always, by logical necessity, be something other than X. For example, the purpose of a hammer is to bang nails into wood. Nails and wood are seperate from a hammer.

It becomes obvious, then, that one simply cannot ask such a question about "the purpose of everything/reality/the universe/the whole shebang/existence," etc., because this topic as "X" contains everything. Any answer would be something not included in the scope of X, but the very nature of the question itself makes this impossible.

The very question itself is invalid. It's like asking, "What color is the number three?" It's grammatically possible to construct such a question, but it has no meaning and no answer.

Problem solved. Now put on some tunes of your choice, kick back, and enjoy the show.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

If you read about Islam you will get the answer.
God creates us to worship him. This is the main purpose of our being here. The life is like an exam. The exam will end and then everyone will be asked how much he respected the god instructions during his life.
Hope that will make sense.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byakuya
The Universe. Why do you exist? What does it mean for us to exist? Everything we do everyday, for what reason do we do it all for? is it that there is something even further out there that we want to exist like we want it to. Emotion, deap down, why does it exist? if it really didn't exist then there would be nothing because you could'nt comprehend the universe. If when we die we go to heaven/paradise why would we want to live through the universe with corrupt. We never think this deap down because we don't really understand for what reason we do any of it.

What happened before we were born? we didn't exist. So why would the universe want us to exist? We could go deaper and deaper and deaper. Thats the big question WHY? If there is something further up there, there had to be something before us to exist. Picture all of this. And look at it to a god. If he created us, why did he want to do it? was it to a game? A game to which we play everyday. If so, someone looks up to everyone of us as gods and you could do more and more and more.

Sorry if none of this made sense but what sense is it to us for the sense to look up to us. I am not in a state to check if i have good grammar. Thats a thing i find funny, people saying "you have bad GRAMMER." hah totally contradicted yourself. Goodbye. Once thats done. They no londer exist in your life. They do nothing to contribute to your existance. Then the queston now, is why am i writing this? for someone to steal it and change it to show that they said this speah instead of having me saying it. Making me hurt. WHY? why would i want that? It could be that i didn't say this? Maybe i didn't say this and it went further on as if i stole it. I hope you find this an interesting question.
the answer is we exist for the creation of plastic.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
It's more like life is a limited time offer, so step right up and come get your bargain... I like to call it a 1UP...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

god created us?....you got proof for that?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
We are here to forget why we are here. Time is a service and life a eulogy...do you really want the answer? Grass is always greener...on the other side. peace

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Maybe God was tired of being alone... The revelation of the ineffable name "I AM WHO AM" contains the truth that God alone IS. The Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, and following it the Church's Tradition, understood the divine name in this sense: God is the fullness of Being and of every perfection, without origin and without end. All creatures receive all that they are and have from him; but he alone is his very being, and he is of himself everything that he is.

So... in a way, I think only God truly exists, everything else is an illusion.

When I feel alone, i go see a movie. I am still alone but I forget about it for about 2 hours... maybe God is doing the same thing.

This is pretty much my theory in a nutshell on it. I thought about what it would mean to know everything from start to finish with all possiblities. The universe in this perspective would be completely static, like a painting would be. Where all possibilities are played out and laid out. There would be no change ever because there would be no unknown thing to change.

So in order to create change and have experiences once again you would need to take out knowledge and then relearn it. Which in a way is what you do when you watch TV and forget about everything else. You become consumed in what is playing and forget yourself.

I see the universe as 1 giant painting/hologram, and each perspective is just another way of viewing a tiny part of it. That as quantum physics hints towards, we do have alternate realities available to us in parallel dimensions that are just alike. We can see how we move in 1 direction now with time. As time goes forward, you change a dimension each time. We just see it as linear movement, call it time and don't notice the other possible directions. Often times, we are manipulated into certain paths and other paths are blocked off, and that is what I call the box.

And I also believe that when Jesus talks about path, he is talking about this. That the choices you make are what determines your path in the universe.

But I don't want to put an image on it. I think there are tons of perspectives on the same topic and all are right because they are all personal perspectives. Everyone should have their own vision and understanding, because to take an image from another is just to know, it is not to understand.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Heres my two cents:

Philosophers have been pondering questions like these for at least thousands of years and noone ever gets to a sound conclusion so trying to work it out is probably just a waste of time but heres a link to a lecture given by a guy who claims to be a representative of the Federation:

www.youtube.com...

If you choose to believe him then he's got the answers to these questions in this lecture. I am science student and think that what he says is definately quite possible although I've not made my mind up. I am more inclined to believe his model over any other because it seems to fit the facts the best.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
We exist because of a fluctuation of energy that manifested itself as virtual particles that caused the big bang (CP Violation). After the Big Bang the universe was filled with Hydrogen gas, which began to coalesce because of the shock wave produce by the big bang and gravity of the gas, in to stars.

Just like stars can form in the accretion disks of black holes (galaxies), planets can form in the accretion disks of a protostar.

Through accretion (a process of sticky collision) dust particles in the disk steadily accumulate mass to form ever-larger bodies.Local concentrations of mass known as planetesimals form, and these accelerate the accretion process by drawing in additional material by their gravitational attraction.These concentrations become ever denser until they collapse inward under gravity to form protoplanets.After a planet reaches a diameter larger than the Earth's moon, it begins to accumulate an extended atmosphere, greatly increasing the capture rate of the planetesimals by means of atmospheric drag.

Over millions of years planets get bombarded with many of the things that are flying through space. Add in volcanic activity on a planet and you quickly get a very hot an noxious atmosphere. Depending on the mass of the planet, the lighter of the initial gases are lost. The heavier elements, such as iron, are drawn to the center of a molten planet, creating a differentiated core. Once a core becomes differentiated, a magnetic field is created around the planet.

Some of the gases originally lost in accretion can now be regained through volcanic activity and comet impacts to the planet and can now be held to the planet. Smaller planets still lose them because of no magnetosphere, solar winds, thermal loss, etc.

As the system ages, it cools down. With a cooling system and a magnetosphere to deflect harmful solar winds, we begin to see condensation of water. Some of the other chemicals in an early atmosphere can include CO2, SO2, CO, S2, Cl2, N2, H2, ammonia, and methane that are added from volcanic out gassing.

Oceans of liquid water can now be formed because of the condensation. The tricky part is life and the oxygen early life brings. There are many possibilities about how life can arrive on a planet. My personal favourite is Panspemia, or exogenesis, where bacterial life hitched a ride on a comet that smashed in to an ocean on earth, releasing them in to our waters.

As far as how life actually forms:

The experiment used water (H2O), methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3) and hydrogen (H2). The chemicals were all sealed inside a sterile array of glass tubes and flasks connected together in a loop, with one flask half-full of liquid water and another flask containing a pair of electrodes. The liquid water was heated to induce evaporation, sparks were fired between the electrodes to simulate lightning through the atmosphere and water vapor, and then the atmosphere was cooled again so that the water could condense and trickle back into the first flask in a continuous cycle.

At the end of one week of continuous operation Miller and Urey observed that as much as 10-15% of the carbon within the system was now in the form of organic compounds. Two percent of the carbon had formed amino acids, including 2-3 of the 22 that are used to make proteins in living cells, with glycine as the most abundant. Sugars, lipids, and some of the building blocks for nucleic acids were also formed. Nucleic acids (DNA, RNA) themselves were not formed. As observed in all consequent experiments, both left-handed (L) and right-handed (D) optical isomers were created in a racemic mixture. Virtually all amino acids in the proteins of living cells are left-handed amino acids. Any right-handed amino acids, for the most part, are poisonous to the construction of the protein, causing it to unravel. Equal amounts of left- and right-handed amino acids would not be an environment friendly to life.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Through evolution, the rest, as they say, is history. That primitive life adapted to use the energy of the sun to perform photosynthesis, and it ate up the CO2 in the atmosphere and produced oxygen to a level that we breath today.

Edit: I would like to add that most of this is theoretical science, but it's some of the best informed theories we have today. Don't say something like "oh, it's only a theory" too, because the word theory doesn't imply that it's somehow an uninformed guess. Science is an incredible institution that is rigorous, strict, and dependent upon peer review so that it can be very accurate, and updated over time. Gravity, classical electromagnetism, General Relativity, economics, and perhaps most notably the atomic theory, are all theories, and work pretty well.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Byakuya

Truthfully? The answer is simple: To live.
Life doesn't require all these complex hypotheses to be truly maximized or understood. Sure, some of the most beautiful aspects of the universe can be difficult to comprehend from a limited perspective. Yet, this isn't the answer.

Often enough, many get so absorbed trying to find the answers to life, the universe, and everything that they miss out on the understanding required to make any sense of the answers they acquire to begin with.

Life is user specific. There are no omnibus receptacles of information that provide everyone with everything they need in order to understand everything. Unless you attribute that to the universe herself (yes, I believe the universe has a consciousness, and a beautiful one at that. Who do you think Gaia is after all?).

Acceptance is the easiest way to understand. To accept what you cannot accept, simply by accepting that you can't accept it, is a major step to being at peace in one's life. Is there war, death, and suffering? Of course. I refuse to accept that there will always be war, and that consumerism is beneficial to humanity, but that doesn't change the reality that I have no direct control over mega corporations, their advertisements, and foolish leaders I never voted for that feel killing people is still acceptable for political gain in this day and and age.

However, I can accept that I don't have a choice in the matter. I can accept that every time I turn on my TV, I will be exposed to mindless commercials that do nothing more than waste my time and encourage the worst that humanity has to offer. Does it piss me off? Extremely, but I don't need to lose my temper every time I see a stupid commercial. The people who actively encourage such destructive behaviors will eventually have to deal with the consequences of their actions. I refuse to accept their beliefs as healthy or productive.

Yet, I can accept that I am not going to change their minds either. It brings a peace with it. I can't tell you how many times I screamed at the stupid commercials I have watched. Didn't help one bit.

Understanding the universe is part of this. You can get as pissed off as you want to be, but aren't there better ways to go about dealing with the problems this existence has to offer? Acceptance that maybe we don't need to know what all the answers are tends to give one a better perspective in understanding life in the first place.

If you can't figure out these questions through observation and patience, then all you will find are the usual explanations and none of the peace that is really what we as humanity is looking for. Accept that the answers don't have to be answers at all, and you might just find what you are looking for.

If this answer frustrates anyone reading this, contemplate why it bothers you, accept it, and come to your own understanding. I know for a fact that a few years ago, what I am typing now would have angered me to the point of throwing a fit and I would have stressed myself to oblivion. Oh well, live and learn. There is your answer.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I HOPE YOU ALL READ THIS

We exist because God created us, period. We are one of his many creations and our human minds cannot even begin to contemplate the complexities in this universe, just like an ANT can not contemplate the solar system. We think we know everything. God sent 3 main Prophets, May God be pleased with them all. The first message to mankind was the Torah, second the Gospel (2000 years ago), and thirdly the Quran (1400 years ago). Prophet Musa was the one who brought the Torah to the Jews, Prophet Jesus is one who brought the 2nd book of God i.e the Gospel (too many types to name so its whichever was not re-written by a man). The current Bible is re-written so i am referring to the Old testament i believe ( correct me if I am wrong). And the final message because people back them were not abiding by the rules, i.e drinking and idol worshiping, i.e not going to prayer because they were drunk or hung over, widespread impurity over illegal sexual relations. The Final message was the Quran. And im not the most humble person in the world or anything but i know what makes sense like the next person. and after reading the Quran and the Hadith (the lessons of the Last Prophet Mohamed Peace Be Upon Him). You can clearly see everything that was revealed. There are things in the Quran that did not make sense 200 years ago, but God said that there are proofs in there that each coming generation will/ can relate too. I.e space travel, and flights around the world, widespread murder (where the person who murders is as puzzled as the one he murders- neither knows why it happened). I respect every religion in the world and im not bragging in any sence Im just an ex partier who has been searching and now I have found it. There is no way someone like a simple desert man could have known all the complexites of the universe. No one understood back them, but discoveries like the understanding of the Iron core in the centre of the earth, were not understood until now. I.e. each generation is still learning things from the Quran. I saw a Discovery Channel explaining the same things I read in the Quran. I.e God SENT DOWN iron from space and plunged it into the earth, and built above them 7 protectors. And if you count there are 7 levels of atmosphere, as well as 7 layers of Earth (i.e Core, crust, inner core, mantel, etc. However there are those of you that have a seal over your heart and will not believe no matter what. Im a person that will not believe unless i can understand and investigate for myself. I suggest you do the same, the last days are near, it does not matter what religion you are as long as you realize the last days are near, and as we travel down this spiral whirlwind of sinning and ignorance then we are dooming ourselves. God created all human beings from Adam and Eve and we shall die and be resembled again down to our very fingertips, (i.e fingerprints). And we will be judged, and remember paradise lies between the feet of your mother. The same rules apply.

The coming of the Last Prophet to humanity was foretold in the Torah:
"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put My words in his mouth; and he shall speak to them all that I shall command him" Deuteronomy 18:18

Who in the Old Testament were the brethren of the sons of Israel if not the sons of Ismael?(descended from Abraham's first wife Hagar at the well of Zam Zam at Makkah called Bakkah in those days) Who else could have been the Prophet like unto Moses? Who was more similar to him than the Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)?

The prophecy in Bible has been fulfilled by the advent of Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh). Jesus says in the Bible, John 16:7 and 16:13:
"If I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you, but if I depart I will send him unto you ...We will guide you into all truth; for he shall not speak of himself but whatever he shall hear, that shall he speak ...

The Angel Gabriel was the one who revealed all.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The problem, and strength, here is that we think conceptually. It is hard for us to conceptually think about there being no point to what is going on here.

A lot of the questioning in the op seems to come from the idea that something started all of this, because there had to be something beforehand. Well, what if it time is not linear? That would certainly change the grand scheme of ideas, wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why do you exist? Because your parents made you and DNA being a simple replication programme that has been running for eons has culminated in you, unfortunately your human conciousness and natural self protection wants to believe there is a greater purpose.

Why does the Universe exist? Because if it didn't you wouldn't be experiencing it. You are it and it is you... In a few billion years the atoms that currently make you up will be again drifing across the cosmos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join