It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rules strip-search of 13-year old for ibuprofen unconstitutional

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
My, the world sure has changed a lot! When I was 13 I was forced to strip in front of other girls .. and the coach if she was around .. and take a shower every single day in Gym class. Me refusing to do so would have been a big deal, but being forced to do it and subjected to daily ridicule because I was a 'late bloomer' was apparently not.

Now, granted, this situation is a bit different .. the girl was singled out and was being accused of wrongdoing, not just made to do what 'everyone' had to do, but still. Nobody thought that the adult female teacher of Gym class seeing our 'privates' almost every day was wrong.

I'm not disagreeing with either the decision or the OP. I certainly don't want anyone to be able to strip search ME on hearsay evidence. I'm merely pointing out that I don't understand where all the sexually-based outrage is coming from. Adult teachers seeing kids' privates in school used to be everyday routine not that many years ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
A bit off topic but... So how does everybody feel about random drug testing in our public schools?

[edit on 14-7-2008 by FTD Brat]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

We all had to shower in P.E. (gym class) and since everyone was getting naked equally and not in a private room where there were no witnesses, it is a whole different thing than being the only one to strip. No reason to be embarrassed for being different or a late bloomer - as you now know it's no big deal - I felt more sorry for guys that couldn't control their erections in the boys locker rooms.

Originally posted by FTD Brat
how does everybody feel about random drug testing in our public schools?

As long as it starts with the employees first. Beginning with the administrators, principal, teachers, all school workers and even the PTA. Then after they can prove themselves 100% clean after a few years of testing then we can begin talking about drug testing students.

It looks to me more like those teaching our kids have been or are using drugs. I propose that in order to work as a school employee that you have to show clean drug tests from college age every year until you were hired and then randomly throughout the year in order to keep your tenure.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

I assume you mean random drug testing of the students. I am against it, i don't see what right a school would have to run drug tests on students. The school's job is to teach, not to enforce laws. If they believe that a student is on drugs and it is detrimental to other students, teachers, or the school enviroment then they can call the parents and/or the authorities in and let them take the appropriate action.

And if they want to enforce it on the students they also need to enforce it with the entire staff, including all the members of the school board.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Please show to me how the strip search was highly illegal and unconstitutional.

I wish I was your daughters teacher.....maybe I could catch her bein' naughty...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
First off let me say that as a correctional officer doing a strip search is more of a last resort move than anything. When you get somebody alone and talk face to face and ask weither or not they have any sort of contraband more than likely they'll confess, hand it over, and you move on. Stripping somebody naked is probably the most humiliating thing anybody has to go through. I feel sorry for the little girl. Being subjected to such treatment over ibuprophen...

Imagine; somebody accused you of something just so they wouldn't get in trouble, you get called in, strip searched, not asked if you had anything (and even if you didn't, still be searched). How would you feel about that? Personally being put in that situation would make me pissed. I would give them a reason to search me... imho.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
just to repeat, this Is not crack or weed but advil not even asprin. Hard core drug dealers are not strip searched so why should a 13 yr old girl be. Even back in the day everyone showering is everyone not just 1 person infront of 2 adults...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Man you really must be some kinda PIG as denoted by your handle. What kind of Outback Nazi world do you wish to live in.

Just think if you had a kid especially a daughter would you want her being stripped at school.

What a bunch of wacked out sickos. At this rate I figure we'll be all out of rights and freedoms in this country before we know it.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

The U.S. Supreme Court is set to hear the case of a young Arizona honor student who was strip-searched in the eighth grade by school officials looking for ibuprofen pills.

Savana Redding and her mother have been fighting the Safford Unified School District in Safford, Ariz., since 2003.

6 years she has been trying for justice now since the government employed pedofiles got caught molesting this girl with there eyes.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Honestly, in the same position, I think my dad would've had to show up and hand out a few ass beatings.

I got sent home from school one day because the principal thought my skirt was too short. My mother blew a gasket and paid him a visit I'm sure he'll never forget. Then sent me back to school the next day in that very same skirt.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
How are they allowed to strip search a 13 year old without parents when they cant even question a minor without a parent? If the kid was hiding something all they had to do was wait for a parent to be present. I feel sorry for that poor kid, how humiliating.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

And we all know who used that old line *If you have nothing to hide it shouldn't matter* yes thats right the KGB...How people and governments can use that line and people fall for it hook line and sinker i'll never know.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The case went to the supreme court today. Sorry i tried to post the link twice, but niether one would work. I found it on the ABC7 website.

[edit on 4/21/2009 by chise61]

[edit on 4/21/2009 by chise61]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It IS outrageous.....the girl was completely innocent, her 'friend' was caught with prescription dose Ibuprofen....and pointed her finger to deflect blame.

Other recent examples of the ridiculous 'zero-tolerance' policies....

---A nine-year old boy is suspended for giving a Certs breath mint to his friend....

---An elementary-school boy is suspended for a friendly pat on the bum of a female classmate....

---A child is suspended for drawing a stick figure on a piece of paper pointing a 'gun' at another stick figure....

---A girl is supended for having prescribed medication for an ovarian infection that required a regular dosage at regualr hours....

THIS is outrageous....AND these examples all come from the April 21, 2009 USA Today.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
You all fail at reading comprehension.
You seem to fail at reading comprehension as well.

She took an illegal (and possibly dangerous to herself or someone else) substance to school.

I believe, sir, that it is YOU that 'fails at reading'. The girl was stripped searched on the premise of her 'classmate' saying so. No drugs were ever found on the girl. Oh, and another thing...

en.wikipedia.org...

Ibuprofen (INN) (IPA: /ˌaɪbjuːˈpɹəʊfɛn/) (from the now outdated nomenclature iso-butyl-propanoic-phenolic acid) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) originally marketed as Brufen, and since then under various other trademarks (see tradenames section), most notably Nurofen, Advil and Motrin. It is used for relief of symptoms of arthritis, primary dysmenorrhea, fever, and as an analgesic, especially where there is an inflammatory component. Ibuprofen is known to have an antiplatelet effect, though it is relatively mild and short-lived when compared with that of aspirin or other better-known antiplatelet drugs. Ibuprofen is a core medicine in the World Health Organization's "Essential Drugs List", which is a list of minimum medical needs for a basic health care system.

Dangerous? You fail at reading comprehension again.

The strip search may have been a bit over the top, but not unusual or unconstitutional.

Strip searching ANYONE on the premise that they MAY have a couple of bloody BACKACHE pills is completely wrong on any level that you look at it, not only that but WITHOUT HAVING HER PARENTS OR GUARDIAN PRESENT. Unless of course you have another reason why someone would want a 13 year old girl strip-searched.......

Oh and that small little tidbit about the court ruling the search 'unconstitutional'....you know...those whacky guys that actually make the law that you seem not to be able to comprehend..

The problem is . . . if she would have had pills, given some to a friend, and the friend died, you same people would be all up in arms about why the school did not do all it could to take the medicine away.

The girl was accused of having no more than 2 pills - hardly enough to qualify as being a dangerous or lethal amount. Well done on the lack of reading comprehension thing again mate.

en.wikipedia.org...

Toxic effects are unlikely at doses below 100 mg/kg but can be severe above 400 mg/kg;[24] however, large doses do not indicate that the clinical
course is likely to be lethal

[edit on 22/4/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I believe that the school had every right to strip search that person. I know the pills that I took when i went to school could severely damage a person. If she hands another kid a aspirin and if the kid was allergic to it. The kid could die or become very ill. Its just that people will always have something to complain about. They took the kid into the nurses office and had a female present in the search so there should be no worries. At my formal school they even say don't take any pills to school. It is more of a safety issue than a "terrorist" thing. So lets all stop defended the kid when she was in the wrong for bringing the pills to school.

You are completely incorrect. Schools are NOT allowed to strip search a minor at any time. I have children, they are in school. At no time did I sign anything to allow a strip search of my daughters.

This would be resolved very quickly, by my litigation lawyer and a judge. It doesn't matter if it was a female pedophile or a male pedophile searching her, the search was not legal. i hope that school carries A LOT of insurance.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Wow, Some posters weren't even paying attention.

Savana Redding's friend accused her of giving the ibuprofen.

Savana Redding claimed that she didn't give them to her friend nor did she even have any.

Hard to believe an Honor Role student, I guess.

Ironic that I offered my daughter Advil to take to school 2 weeks ago and she said that she couldn't take them on school grounds.

Excuse me? She claims they have a similar policy regarding ANY pills.

She can get Advil from the nurse if she gets bad cramps. Good thing.

As for Savana's situation it's great that she is getting some justice after so many years. Money would be great but even better...

If they have zero tolerance for the kids ...

Zero tolerance for school officials as well.

[color=gold]Fire them!

... If they pulled that # with my daughter, she's 17 and would be just as humiliated and tearful as 13 year old, I would certainly pursue a zero tolerance policy above.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Well if she had nothing to hide she should not be upset!!

This mind set is exactly what *they* want.

Thanks to you and those who think like you - the USA is FINISHED.

Your Rights?
The Constitution?
Freedom?
GONE!

I can just hear you watching *BraveHeart*...
"Look at this idiot! He’s dying for freedom! What a loser!"

peace

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

How can you even think to compare the two?

Taking a shower after gym class compared to being take in into a room, strip searched and being FORCED to reveal your breasts and crotch area - over an Ibuprofen?

How you can even think to compare the two situations is just sooo beyond me... Really makes me believe the fluoride in the water theory I gotta say...

By the way - don't forget - it wasn’t that long go AMERICAN’S HAD RIGHTS!

If anyone in a school performed this kind of outrage on my 13year old daughter - they’d be naming the school after me before I was through with them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join