It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US residents in military brigs? Govt says it's war

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

US residents in military brigs? Govt says it's war

news.yahoo.com

To justify holding him, the government claimed a broad interpretation of the president's wartime powers, one that goes beyond warrantless wiretapping or monitoring banking transactions. Government lawyers told federal judges that the president can send the military into any U.S. neighborhood, capture a citizen and hold him in prison without charge, indefinitely.

There is little middle ground between the two sides in al-Marri's case, which is before a federal appeals court in Virginia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Do I really need to add to this? Check my sig, this is really happening people. I am anti terrorist, but who gets to define that word?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If people think government round-ups are a thing of books and movies and not a real possibility on this soil, you better wake up! If this sets precedence then it will be only a matter of time before it will be applied to us citizens who disagree with the government on anything. If our judicial system does not reign this in, then I fear the worst. It was my understanding that the us military had no jurisdiction on US soil. This was to keep things such as this from happening to citizens. No matter what the charge, If you are a US citizen and you are accused of "terrorism" while lliving on US soil and executing said "Terrorism " on US soil then you literally have no rights. All US citizens desere due process!!

Police State here we come.

Flag and Starred

www.cnn.com...

Edited to add another source to the story.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by AkashicScribe]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AkashicScribe

I have to go to work, and I cannot give this thread the attention it deserves. Hopefully this will become the topic it needs to be while I am gone. Read my sig thread. Follow the new laws being written! We are losing people!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

This man was suspected of wanting to build a chemical weapon.
... so watch him and see if he actually goes through with trying to build one... don't arrest him because he studies chemistry.

I do agree that this man was likely a sleeper agent. But you can't just rush in there and detain him without warrant, and expect the rest of your citizens to be peachy with it.

I'll ask the naysayers this.

If they know he's a terrorist. Why not just let the law enforcement go through their standard routine? Get a warrant. Arrest him, search his home, and set up a court date.

Why not just follow the standard procedures that DON'T trample on constitutional rights?

Why would you use an irrational mode of force and detainment, when there's a perfectly good justice system in place?

Could they be undermining law enforcement to set the stage?

Are they trying to gain an absolute control over the country that not even law enforcement can stand up to?

Sounds like the gestapo to me.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hey, if it ever happens to me I have confidence in myself. Just be a good boy and tell the truth.

No harm done. Sometimes I'd rather be safe then sorry, I don't really have any freedom as it is anyway. Just live day to day enjoying this for what it is: the experience. As long as there is civilization, freedom will infinitely be limited.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
People think the stuff we're writing about here is "conspiracy nut" material.

Still think so?

Stuff like The Homegrown Terrorism Act, and Main Core, and now this, BETTER wake people the hell up.

This isn't conspiracy, IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING...

And this is just the beginning if these maniacs get their way.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well people, here it is. And you thought this was some joke...

To all the naysayers out there, if you even have the balls to show up here, I challenge you to answer this one simple question...

What freedom do you have that can not be infringed or taken away arbitrarily?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
and i keep getting attacked because i constatly say the Sicherheitsdienst is alive and well in the USA.....

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Keep your eyes open. Remember that you are one vote away from being declared a criminal. Follow the new laws. Bush? Bush ain't got nothing on the next president. Trust me.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Its always very intriguing to me how those opposing the obvious truth do not stop by here and post anything.

Then i realize they dont have anything to debate really. It is as it is as it is as it is.

I never thought i'd live to see this and it makes me very sad and i have cried many times at the reality of it all.
How sad this all is. :shk:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I must be getting old in my thinking so I really have nothing to fear or run away from or I may be already conditioned into thinking nothing is really going to happen. What a tangled web I live in.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
Hey, if it ever happens to me I have confidence in myself. Just be a good boy and tell the truth.

What does the truth matter when all they need is a face to put across the news channels?

If you are going to take peoples rights away, you are going to need something to keep them scared.

Might as well be you (or me) one day.

[edit on 5/25/0808 by spines]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was waiting to see what kinds of responses this got before I made more comments. I am glad to see that others are seeing what I am seeing. I have been following this FLDS screw-up, and coupled with this, it seems that they will be able to take you, your kids, and you can do nothing. We are now officially there.
All we need now is the spark. We just need something that makes everyday Americans more scared than they already are. Whether it be christians, muslims, poor, AIDS stricken, who knows, but first, it will be those. And then, those that complain. The camps are built, we have seen the new laws.
Prepare for what we thought was just conspiracy drivel.
They are watching, and waiting. And I am not off balance. You all know that it is true.

I think, that given 6 months, we are all going to need our secret friends and hiding places.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. If the govt has the goods on this man, then let him stand trial.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

If that man had a case against him, he would have had a judge issue a warrant, the local p.d. (or FBI) would have presented he warrant, arrested him and searched his apartment. He would have been detained, arraigned, and posted or denied bail. A jury of twelve people would have been sat, and his case reviewed and presented. But I guess not.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So it's illegal to study chemistry now? Don't they teach it in our schools? Can they now arrest lets say muslim or arabic looking students in highschool or college for studying or majoring in Chemistry?
This is horrible that this is allowed to happen. I think people are starting to realize this, but as a collective people we have no idea how to stop this.
It's going to take something drastic for the people to wake up and become outraged and take action. I just have a horrible feeling many will suffer before it happens.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The really worrying thing forme, is that what happens in the US eventually comes to the UK - although we have the european human rights act, which may provide protection.

Government is now an insidious slide towards a state where people no longer have even the illusion of freedom - and you guys are on the cutting edge.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, since everyone else seems to overlooked this point. Not only did the U.S. let an accused terrorist into the country in the first place, but this terrorist has been running loose for seven years before they bothered to catch with him?! And now they claim they need to steamroll due process to expedite our national security?!!! Come on, gimme a break. :shk:

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well, the essayist , Gore Vidal suggests that GWB is an 'idiot', so that must mean all his top advisors, the Neo-Cons Fraudsters are also idiots. Nothing but secondhand car lot salesmen. Would you buy a used car from GWB?

As for McCain, he is 'Mr McGoo' according to Vidal Gore, so no great shakes for a change in Presidents, unless GWB tries to vote himself into office for good by cancelling the autumn Presidential elections.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join