It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What freedom do you have that can not be infringed or taken away arbitrarily?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have been thinking about posing this question for a while now. I have seen a few threads posing the question "what freedoms have we lost?" but I think that to truly answer that question, we have to look at what freedoms we actually still enjoy. In my opinion, there aren't very many at all. I challenge members to post what freedoms they believe they enjoy which can not be molested by the system of authority.

What are our freedoms?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The only people who can still be free to think clearly are those who are outside the system.

If you have to make money, you have to learn to conform to the system. If you allow your brain to be operated by television (440 Hertz) you will not be hearing the very low tones (3-15 Hertz) of the Ancients.

If you're free of money you can develop and think your own thoughts including all kinds of thinking outside the box, interdimensional communications, charisma, remote accessing, thought-sharing, solfeggio and fibanocci math, prime numbers and stuff like that that's non-saleable, non-commercial.

But with psych tests being used by hiring managers, you won't get hired for anything if your brain doesn't work along certain channels. Maybe this is why monks take a vow of poverty.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Knowledge is something that can never be taken from you,they can take your home,your personal belongings,but your knowledge can't be taken from

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
But knowledge CAN be infringed upon and manipulated. Our public education system is a testament to that. And the fact that your library habits are monitored is a sign that knowledge will indeed be further curtailed in the near future.

I also happen to know of a large publishing house that was blackballed and shutdown after they insisted on printing controversial works by an author that no one else would touch, once they got a "visit."

Control the distribution, and you control knowledge.

The books don't need to be burned, they just won't print them.

[edit on 5/11/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So, who will distribute the e-books without cost?

That becomes the question how knowledge will be replicated and disseminated without book publishers handling it.

Anybody know?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sarcastic

So, who will distribute the e-books without cost?

There is also the matter of the authors earning enough money to live on. How will they get paid? If the writers don't get paid for there were, there will be very few who are in a position to di research and then share their knowledge.

Then there is also the matter of promotion. It takes more than just a good product, you have to let the people know that the material is available and important.

The money for promotion is why we don't have good political candidates anymore. It's all about who can get the most money and run the best campaign, not about who has the best platform. You can be the most honorable person in the world, with the best ideas, but if you don't have the money to spread the word and defend yourself, you have no chance.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

The freedom to die in a manner of my choosing is one, so long as i am prepared to go to great lengths in some instances.

And no, i'm not talking about suicide.

This, i believe, will be the last to go.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I like the thread topic. It is more of a glass is half empty take on the other, "what freedoms have you lost" thread. I personally share your view. So far, it hasn't greatly affected my day to day life but the writing is on the wall. The fact that we no longer have any privacy is alarming to me. The fact that all of our internet viewing habits can be archived is alarming.

The research that I do to support my posts on here has got to have me on a list somewhere. My google search log just reeks of domestic terrorist / non conformist. I mean, common keywords that I have will search for on a given night:
"Government corruption
Political assassination
fascism
marijuana laws
internet piracy
ron paul
terrorism
......"

So knowing that it is being logged and can be used against me does make me uneasy. Combine that with the new and exciting "no knock" searches by the police that no longer require a warrant and it does tend to make the paranoid types like myself uneasy. Realistically, I shouldn't worry... but the stories are out there and it is always in the back of my mind.

Edit: courtesy flag

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I would say, "please don't forget to flag!" but it doesn't look like I have many takers here anyway. Thanks to those who have posted though.

I'm assuming no one can come up with one single real freedom that they know they can count on no matter what. :shk:

[edit on 5/11/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I mean, common keywords that I have will search for on a given night:
"Government corruption
Political assassination
fascism
marijuana laws
internet piracy
ron paul
terrorism
......"

Hey Goto Watch man... H.R. 1955 will bite you in the ass soon.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
We have the right to die.
This is a God given or Natural right which no one can take away.
Here is how to do it if the only thing left to you is the ability to breathe.
Hyperventilate, accumulating as much oxygen as possible in the body.
Expell as much CO2 as possible.
Then hold your breath until you passout.
A minimum of 8% CO2 is needed to automaticaly restart breathing.
If they try to restart you with pure oxygen which is likely, you will not.
You may have to try several times to get the CO2 down low enough.

We have the right to think for ourselves.
Too few of us avail ourselves of this one, but no one can take it way.
This one has to be given away!
Only your ability to act upon it can be taken.

You have the right to die trying.
There is no law of man or deterrent which can prevent this, as long as
you are willing to die in the process, you can die trying anything.
No law of man applies to you any longer.
Failure to die trying is punishable by law.
Refer to the right to die above.

Should you find yourself stripped of all other human rights and dignitys, or the things which gave your life value, refer to the right to die trying.
I am amazed how few of us take advantage of the right to die trying, when I look at the injustice I see people suffer so often.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

We have the right to die.

We do not. If you were to fail at an attempted suicide, you would be charged as a criminal and locked up. If you are successful, you will most likely be forfeiting your estate, and would still be guilty of a crime nevertheless.

Then there are certain places where it is illegal to die without first having made certain arrangements in your finances, for your burial/cremation, etc.

We have the right to think for ourselves.

Please review what I have posted above regarding "knowledge."

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't think you can be sued for being dead.

And even if you were caught trying to commit suicide (which is different from the right to die anyway) that right still belonged to you, and you could have a bash at trying to kill yourself by diving off the end of your prision bedframe, tomb raider style.

People have been able to kill themselves before by launching themselves headfirst into the wall or ground, after all.

The law does not transcend Death, i believe.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I don't think you can be sued for being dead.

You most certainly can. My second cousin lost her house, because her dead mother-in-law got sued for not paying her debts as a result of death.

And even if you were caught trying to commit suicide (which is different from the right to die anyway) that right still belonged to you, and you could have a bash at trying to kill yourself by diving off the end of your prision bedframe, tomb raider style.

Being able to die and having the right to die are two different things.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So everyone spouts off about how we aren't losing our freedoms in this country (US), and how it's great to be free, but no one can tell me what freedoms we actually still have? :shk:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well freedom of speech is really the only one we have left. But even that is to an extent look at the DC madam for example. Beyond that the rights of privacy and property are no longer ours. Soon freedom of speech will be gone and we will be no better than an old soviet style government.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Well freedom of speech is really the only one we have left.

If you need a permit to speak, it is no longer a right, it is a privilege. Such as in the case of speaking to the public.

If you can be arrested for speaking your mind to the person who just ran a red light and smashed into your car, it is no longer a right at all.

If you are beaten and tased on your own front porch for telling the police that you are not afraid of them, you no longer enjoy the freedom of speech.

If ATS has to implement rules to curtail your freedom of speech, lest they be penalized in business, an "end-run" has been made around your freedom of speech. (Not the fault of ATS by the way, as many like to argue. This is the fault of a complacent and irresponsible society.)

If the government can influence distributors to leave your books sitting on the loading dock, your freedom of speech has been hamstrung.

I could go on, but no, we no longer enjoy the freedom of speech. Most importantly, the freedom of speech has been taken away under the Patriot Act. Granted, the measures have not been applied openly, but they will be, legally.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well thats why I put to an extent...we do have freedom of speech I mean look at guys like Bill Maher who calls bush every name in the book or on the opposite side look at the crap that rush limbaugh says. I mean obviously there is a limit you cant hurt people or whatever and I understand on the permits to speak that they are un constitutional I know all this but its not like Russia where if you say something against the government you could be taking a dirt nap. I mean people do get away with saying some stuff and I want to keep it that way and even make it looser...i understand its not freedom like it was in the 1800s but even then you had your limits.

Dont take this as Im saying we have total freedom but I mean look at scandels like the Watergate I mean there was some mean freedom of speech going there to finally nail nixon but the permits to speak is not right.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That chart you posted with the "ability to get unbiased news" is very interesting. I don't know of anything that you can do without paying for it in some way. Breathing air comes close, but with the new carbon BS, we will soon have to pay to breath.

I think that I can think for free.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I know all this but its not like Russia where if you say something against the government you could be taking a dirt nap.

But it has already begun. You pointed out the DC madam for one. Then there is the Valerie Plame affair, in which she could have easily been killed when the Bush administration intentionally blew her cover while she worked for CIA.

The noose is tightening.

Right now though, the most prevelant restriction to the freedom of speech is social and in business.

I remember what the climate was like in the run-up to the Iraq invasion. In my town, a few people spoke out against the war, and were, well, we'll call it "scrutinized" for it. I personally got a visit from a Commander in Naval Intelligence for a few comments that I made in public, even though I was not outright against the war at the time. I had commented however, that I was leary of the fervor and would have preferred some "pause" before we went running in guns blazing.

This was the overwhelming public opinion at the time, and is still very prevelant today, to the detriment of true patriotic values...

And in business, well, this chart shows where freedom of speech is headed...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join