It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flannery proposes 'global dimming' to save planet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Flannery proposes 'global dimming' to save planet

www.theage.com.au

Professor Flannery says placing sulphur gas into the earth's stratosphere could keep out the sun's rays and slow global warming.

Scientist Tim Flannery has proposed a radical solution to climate change which may change the colour of the sky.

But he says it may be necessary, as the "last barrier to climate collapse."

Professor Flannery says climate change is happening so quickly that mankind may need to pump sulphur into the atmosphere to survive.

Australia's best-known expert on global warming has updated his climate forecast for the world - and it's much worse than he thought just three years ago.

He has called for a radical suite of emergency measures to be put in place.

The gas sulphur could be inserted into the earth's stratosphere to keep out the sun's rays and slow global warming, a process called global dimming.

"It would change the colour of the sky," Professor Flannery told AAP.

"It's the last resort that we have, it's the last barrier to a climate collapse."

"We need to be ready to start doing it in perhaps five years time if we fail to achieve what we're trying to achieve."

Professor Flannery, the 2007 Australian of the Year, said the sulphur could be dispersed above the earth's surface by adding it to jet fuel.

He conceded there were risks to global dimming via sulphur.

"The consequences of doing that are unknown."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Amazing how this coincides with pretty much the main things people have been saying about friggin chemtrails for years! Debunkers read this and explain this away, from one of Australia's leading climate scientists! This is a very important announcement.

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008-5-19 by primamateria]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
have you seen the animatrix movie ; erie how similar

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
have you seen the animatrix movie ; erie how similar

yeah, some people letting out hints methinks but this is most obvious and legit source yet.

I am emailing this to all chemtrail skeptics and debunkers BECAUSE a scientist isn't just going to speak random stuff about ideas like this, especially someone like Flannery!

He wouldn't say this unless this idea has already gotten past proof of concept, been tested extensively and now just needs a political green light!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So then my question is, what is the REAL reason for darkening our skies? To hide something we might be able to see in the sky perhaps?

Seen more chemtrails this week too...staying afloat for over 2hours+ each, then forming into clouds...

watchZEITGEISTnow

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
and the chilean volcano (which may or may not have been triggered) just spewed sulpher and ash all over the stratosphere of the southern hemisphere, which:

1. will obscure the view of space from most southern locations

and

2. block sunlight from melting the antarctic ross ice shelf which last time I checked seems to be about to slide into the ocean sometime soon-ishraising sea levels drastically and suddenly.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Another thought i've had is that they have been perfecting the chemtrail fuel additive over the last year or two so that it comes out of the planes more or less transparent and reacts with the atmosphere or sunlight and turns white/grey a few minutes afterwards - hence it is sometimes difficult to actually see the planes the chemtrails are coming from. In some cases the chemtrail spreads out a bit and turns cloudlike before tuyrning white grey so it seems like they appear from nowhere.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
AND

tim Flannery knows by his own admission we have already passed all sorts of tipping points. For him to say that we need to do it in 5 years as a last resort means he already knows we have to do it! In fact we have most likely already started because even if we stopped all polution and greenhouse stuff right now, it would not stop or change the trajectory we on for at least another decade or two. SO my opinion this is a political article to get the mainstream used to the idea some of us already know about, that is the major modification of our atmosphere by chemicals.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Couple chemtrail images from last year using older model sony handycam with IR pass through filter and nightshot.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

Um...doesn't anybody remember the late 1970's and early 1980's?? Sulfur was in the atmosphere a-plenty. We had a little thing called "Acid Rain" back then. You see the sulfur combines with evaporated water and forms a little compound called "Sulfuric Acid" (H2SO4) which then falls to the ground as precipitation.

Or was that just a dream?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Good point, I remember the 'acid rain'. Sulphur seems an interesting choice of chemical to mention. Maybe it also has some characteristic to dim the planet while doing something else as well, apart from killing all the trees and acidifying the environment.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Ahem.....hate to break it to you, but those are pretty pictures of cirrus clouds... with a contrail or two. If you don't believe that, then it would do you a little good to study some meteorology texts.

As to fuel additives....poppycock!!!

Firstly, any additive would change the specific gravity of the fuel....would make it heavier. this would be very noticable to airline pilots. Secondly, who is doing this nefarious 'adding'? Top secret elves who are sworn to secrecy?

Finally...do you have any idea how hot the combustion chamber of a jet engine gets??? What sort of 'mystery additive' would survive those temperatures??

You know, by your unfortunately bad scientific 'theory' about 'additives', then 'trails' should show up the whole time, from take-off to touchdown...but, nothing shows because there's NOTHING there! Exhaust gases....just like out of your Automobile's tail pipes. Unburned hydrocarbon particulates...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Did you read the article?

Why would Tim Flannery suggest and even advocate for a fuel additive on the front page of a mainstream newspaper unless it is feasible? My hypothesis is that if he thinks it is feasible then it must have been at least tested, and it is these tests we have most likely seen as chemtrails.

I am not claiming at this point ALL planes are fuelled like this or that even a lot have been fuelled like this BUT I am saying at least some would have, at some time, somewhere for this to be a feasible idea.

Can you tell the difference between premium and regular petrol when driving your car?

Or BP or Caltex fuels?

If you put in some injector cleaning agent into your fuel tank, can you tell by driving your car if you have an additive in your fuel?

Could you tell when they started to remove lead from the petrol or started adding methanol?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
prima....that's my point regarding that scientist....he's 'suggesting' it. It's a possible solution, in his opinion, to slow down the warming.

Someone else already has pointed out the danger of Sulphur, though....this needs to be studied very carefully before going off half-cocked. "Acid rain" (whilst a good name for a rock band) can be very damaging to crops and other plant life....hate to see the 'cure' be worse than the treatment....

Ya know, the notion of commercial airliners doing any sort of 'spraying' is simply ludicrous....jets do not fly over the entire surface of the planet, but consistently along established routes....we call them 'Airways'. This is a bloody BIG planet...and the amount of 'chemicals' needed to achieve anything that you posit is enormous....Mother Nature does it herself, far more efficiently.

Think of the Krakotoa volcanic eruption in the 19th century...(good thing there were no passenger jets back then!! You see, a jet engine, when it encounters airborne volcanic ash, will turn that ash into a glass-like substance...because of the heat...and the engine will quickly lose power, or fail altogether.

So....even if we KNEW how, I don't expect there will be very many intentional triggering of volcanoes by Man....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
my opinion is that global warming doesnt exist but the climate is changing because of the coming event in 2012, so what i think is that this is a elitist plan to protect the earth from the event. They will still have their bunkers to hide in, but i would guess that they would want to preserve the earth as much as possible.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

prima, YES I read it.....the professor talked about 'inserting' sulphur into the stratosphere....didn't specify how. His best idea was the CCS research, especially in China....stopping carbon is far more effective than pumping sulphur into the upper atmosphere.

Do you not realized how bad sulphur smells??? This would mean that every jet flight, at altitude, would have to smell like rotten agss for the entire flight. Not a very good idea!!

adding....there's a new thread here on ATS called 'The Global Warming Myth'...(I don't know how to link it) but it looks interesting. We do see the Arctic changing rapidly, and that is dire for Polar bears. We see the Ross ice Shelf being affected, in Antarctica, so the penguins are at risk.

Furthermore, a major increase in MSL will be devastating to many low-lying coastlines. And, certain weather patterns may be affected.

Well before our time as modern humans, North Africa was lush and tropical, not the arid desert it is today...and Plate Tectonics can't completely account for that change, since it is a much slower process than climate changes.

Climate is cyclical, and likely self-correcting....in the long term. The Earth underwent a sustained Mini-Ice Age about 10,000 years ago, when humans were still in the Stone Age....doubt we had much of an effect then.

I doubt we will become like Venus, nor like Mars....

[edit on 5/19/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Leaving the volcano aside as that was pure speculation, I am highlighting that a fairly famous and well regarded climate scientist is suggesting that a chemical may need to be injected into our atmosphere to manage climate change in the next 5 years and onwards.

This in itself is extremely disturbing.

As stated in the article to achieve this, Tim Flannery suggests using additives to jet fuel and then using planes as a delivery mechanism. Note there is no mention of whether this is using commercial planes or not at this point.

My hypothesis is that for him to suggest this, this concept has more than likely already been tested for feasibility. Hence chemtrails are the obvious by-product of this testing.

Cloud seeding has been tested to see how affective it is in creating rain so why wouldn't the fuel additive idea likewise be tested for effectiveness?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
He did specify how to insert the sulphur into the atmosphere..

"Professor Flannery, the 2007 Australian of the Year, said the sulphur could be dispersed above the earth's surface by adding it to jet fuel."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join