It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS too negative?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I know there are alot of good people here who's hearts are in the right place, but everyday I visit here I feel overwhelmed. Like the negativity is somehow seeping into my life. This melting pot of skeptics, believers, new-agers, and realists has somehow obscured whatever truth is left after the storm.

Usually, its worth sifting through all of it to get the latest and best info. on the topic of UFO's, etc. ATS is certainly the best. But I've even seen a few Mod's lately resort to name-calling just to make a point. How did it come to this? Is there somehow a price to pay for all of this?

Forgive me for this thread. I had to get it out there. Just wanted to say its been a good ride, but there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would suggest taking a break, not to check ATS as often as you would do usually and it can feel quite good when you do come back.

In terms of mods, do you have any examples? I have always found mods to be helpful. They should and do take part in debates, some members complain they are being picked on if the mods debate but you shouldn't forget they are people too and them debating makes ATS a healthier place!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I do understand what you mean.

After a hard day work this info can be too much sometimes.
The way i see it. It doesn't matter how terrible or negative the information is.
All emotions are based on Fear or Love.

You can look at the same subject or thread with both fear and love.
Fear will make you depressed , angry or paranoid.
Love will make you clear and enlightened.

I think it's really a way of looking at the material and/or subject.
Ofcourse don't forget to go out and spend time in nature from time to time.
And your girlfriend if you have one

[edit on 9-4-2008 by abovetech]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Negative! That video clip put in this context is the best laugh Ive had in ages.

Ms Green

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have had a few people straight out attack me just because i posted a comment that i believe something, i dont want my beliefs attacked, so sometimes it stops me from posting something important to avoid skeptisim. I wish people would be more open minded on here, yet stay in reality, Plus why else is there an ATS? Because it supposed to be a group of open minded people discussing their theroies, But it has seem to attracted alot of skeptics and people bent on proving others wrong

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Of course ATS is negative; it's the nature of the conspiracy theory to be negative because it is simply a way of explaining powerlessness, disenfranchisement, government secretiveness, corporate corruption, authoritative personality, etc. Whether a theory is true or not is, unfortunately, ancillary to that stuff.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VisionQuest

Is ATS too negative?

Yes.

There´s a difference between a sincere conspiracy-theorist and a habitual complainer and doomssayer. The fearmongers are actually part of the conspiracy without being aware of it.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i just posted a similar message on a another thread but i just want to say something here

The way i see is it that if you are even on this site you are searching for something, for most people it's the truth, whether we all know it or not

the thing is that someone might have just started learning yesterday while others have been studying for years!

My point is that during my journey i had to go through some pretty negative things to get to where i am now, if this is true for others then that might explain a lot!

It's hard to be patient sometimes but maybe we could take it as a challenge, to pass on information and love when it's hardest!

i'm greatful to those who were patient with me when i was angry and impatient and having passed through certain things now can see that it took a lot of time and effort

just my thoughts, oh and if anyone disagrees i'll punch you!!!! lol i'm so joking!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by VisionQuest

Is ATS too negative?

Yes.

There´s a difference between a sincere conspiracy-theorist and a habitual complainer and doomssayer. The fearmongers are actually part of the conspiracy without being aware of it.

Well you know what to do then don't you, out the fearmongers before they get too much. Theres alot of people you should stop well before they get stopped on here, sometimes I think you just let people get away with too much. ( Not you but just ATS in general). Humour the habitual complainer infact humour them all I say.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Its easier to change rooms oneself than to kick others out of a room. I prefer going to another room rather than kicking the **** out of people in the room Im in.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
VisionQuest, I know what you mean, yet could not put it better than Knights. When I notice I spend too much time on ATS, or the internet as a whole, I just give it a break for a few days or even weeks. I also made it a habit to judge a thread by the first two or three posts and then decide whether I wish to follow the discussion or not. It really helps to focus on things that matter and prevents me from rereading the same old arguments over and over again, just to find out that noone will be making a conclusive point. Surprise, surprise.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Its easier to change rooms oneself than to kick others out of a room. I prefer going to another room rather than kicking the **** out of people in the room Im in.

But as a mod is it not your duty to stay in the room that you do not want? Im not saying you should kick the **** out of them but sometimes people do get away with too much , things get out of hand lets say.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yes...but that could also be interpreted as "silencing people".

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yes...but that could also be interpreted as "silencing people".

Mmm yes I see this
I still say certain types need silencing

Ms Green

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Yeah, it is negative. But it has something that cannot be achieved without some negativity: the truth.

I have listened to Coast To Coast AM, the radio show, for decades now. Usually, I find myself shouting "CRACKPOT!" at the radio. Other times I fall asleep out of boredom. yet I continue to listen. Why? Because in order to get the truth, one must wade through a veritable swamp of untruth.

Is the truth on the TV? No, the TV is either a fantasy, or news that has been pre-digested (translation: tainted) for your ease of viewing.

Is the truth on the Internet blogs? Perhaps, but how do you tell what is what? There is no structure to help one to sort out the facts among the illusions of facts.

With ATS, you have a structure. Outrageous claims can be challenged by the mods, as I have already seen happen. Name-calling is discouraged and banned in extreme cases. This makes it easy to sort through the vast plethora of information presented.

But if you make that structure net too tight, you prevent the truth from seeping in as well. There is no bright orange flashing neon sign above truth that announces its arrival; indeed, it is usually the hardest thing to spot. So to allow the truth in and keep the structure sound, you must maintain a fine balance between the two. I think ATS does this very well.

But in that balance, those with political, scientific, and personal agendas get through as well, as do those with personal issues with society. Would you shut them out, knowing that they may still bring a nugget of truth with them?

If you get disgusted, close the window. Wait, allow yourself time to digest what you have read. It's very possible that you are suffering from informational overload and just need time. Then open the window back up and dive back in; that's what I do.

Here's to finding the truth.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by realism

My point is that during my journey i had to go through some pretty negative things to get to where i am now, if this is true for others then that might explain a lot!

It's hard to be patient sometimes but maybe we could take it as a challenge, to pass on information and love when it's hardest!

i'm greatful to those who were patient with me when i was angry and impatient and having passed through certain things now can see that it took a lot of time and effort

Im glad you have found where you are at, worked your way through the negativity and been patient. I find I am not at this place, I only wish I was. If only the truth did have a big light on top of it this would help so much. All the negativity would be gone, all the rubbish and ego we have to fight through just to get to a place we ache to find, all these negative barriers would not exist if truth came with a light.
Sometimes I feel like giving up my search to be at the place you now find you are at.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
DON'T DO IT!!!

I've added you as one of my friends on here as you always seem to have interesting things to say!! Don't think i'm some sort of highly enlightened being, it's just that when i read some of the posts on here i think of how i used to be and smile at how much i have grown. i'm still as confused about life on earth as i ever was!!

the thing is i think people can take searching for the truth in the wrong way sometimes, i mean do the details matter that much?? think about this...

when you were at school did anyone ever argue about being two faced? one little situation in a playground with maybe 3 people minimum involved, he said one thing she said another... who is telling the truth?

if you have to spend time working that out, then how the hell can we really ever truly figure out a conspiracy with hundreds of people who said and did hundreds of different things over a period of hundreds of years?? it's not impossible but it's flippin hard!!

The details are what mess everyone up, just remember it's all the same, there is good, there is bad, know which side you're on and ask your self for the answers you really need.... i think the truth is that the people in power are complete numpties who don't give a toss about us and maybe thats all we need to know about living on earth! that things need to change!

don't give up babes, you are helping yourself and others in your quest, the greatest thing about searching for the truth is that the journey you are on may never end. just try and rise above the details.

Real x

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by realism
DON'T DO IT!!!

I've added you as one of my friends on here as you always seem to have interesting things to say!! Don't think i'm some sort of highly enlightened being, it's just that when i read some of the posts on here i think of how i used to be and smile at how much i have grown. i'm still as confused about life on earth as i ever was!!

the thing is i think people can take searching for the truth in the wrong way sometimes, i mean do the details matter that much?? think about this...

don't give up babes, you are helping yourself and others in your quest, the greatest thing about searching for the truth is that the journey you are on may never end. just try and rise above the details.

Real x

Thank you for that.
its just with this whole search for whats going on and how we fit into it all can get as the OP says a bit negative, so negative some times you do just feel like giving up.

You mean your NOT a highly enlightened being
You do sound like you've got more answers than me though. Actually some days I feel Ive done well and then the next day I'll feel Im getting no where. I trusted some people and they really let me down and this has knocked me back. I find it hard to trust what people tell me now which is a shame as I do feel most people do just want to help.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
the only person you can ever really trust is your self, and even then you have to fight your ego!! if you feel that negativity is getting to you then take a break, but don't give up!

the truth is hard to swallow sometimes and when we hear answers we were not expecting it can knock us down, i remember when i first started researching certain things and it really got to me, i have suffered with panic attacks since i was 18 and i remember watching this documentary about the illuminati a few years ago and i kept panicing at the thought of how messed up the world was! it went on for days and eventually i just got a hold on my inner self and thought... i choose positivity!

i know there are many many negative things about this world and i want to understand the truth as much as possible, but in my life i will be a positive person and when i am confronted with negative things i will rise above them as best as i can, try and change it if i can and understand that the light that shines from love and positivity will always overcome the darkness of twisted and corrupt things!

wow, maybe i am a highly enlightened being!! lol!!

only joking babes, but really... keep your chin up!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Too negative? All depends on what side of the spectrum you come down on.

Personally, I believe there is too much negativity on this site. But that does not bother me. What bothers me is the out right rooting for negativity to continue, especially against America.

Sorry folks, its just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join