It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A contradiction in the bible

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
1. You shall have no other gods before Me

The first commandment is simple in its wording; there can be no other explanations for what is said or what it means. Yet modern Christianity does not practice monotheism in a pure form. Christianity teaches and preaches the Trinity The belief that the Father[1] the Son[2] and the Holy Spirit[3] are of one God.

They are not OF "one God" - they are "ONE God", from the standpoint of theology (and the Bible itself). Bear in mind that translators through the ages have wreaked not a little havoc... (But, luckily, the originals ARE available - even widely so, thanks to the internet.)

More importantly, "contradictions", apparent or real, are the thread that runs through all of human written history. Every single science book, for example, contains a glaring example of such a contradiction: the term atom.

Need we say more?

[edit on 13-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Pick your God Wisely.

Men will raise themselves up like, then a false God who the world loves and worships will come, then the real God.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

They are not OF "one God" - they are "ONE God", from the standpoint of theology (and the Bible itself). Bear in mind that translators through the ages have wreaked not a little havoc... (But, luckily, the originals ARE available - even widely so, thanks to the internet.)

They is plural not singular. It's not that three parts make a whole, the Trinity teaches that the three are one, and it doesn't make since.

If my internet would have worked this morning, I would have posted my new thread based on the Holy Spirit, so stay tuned tomorrow morning.

More importantly, "contradictions", apparent or real, are the thread that runs through all of human written history. Every single science book, for example, contains a glaring example of such a contradiction: the term atom.

Need we say more?

Yes we should especially when 99.9% of all books ever written are not inspired by God, yet one of the ones that claims its inspired by God, has flaws and imperfections, and Contradictions.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yes we should especially when 99.9% of all books ever written are not inspired by God, yet one of the ones that claims its inspired by God, has flaws and imperfections, and Contradictions.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

There is no "contradictions" in the original texts, only in the translations of man. Study the bible and the original texts and find the undoctored truth.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Ok well I"m tired of people thrashing the one thing that has held my life together through the years. Let me prove God is real in an athiestic view. If you believe in energy you believe in a version of God, (rather you like it or not), for both hold a similar definition. The definition of energy can be summed up as "In and around all that is and will be." God too, is in and around all that is and will be. The only difference between God and energy is that God unconditionally loves us. No matter what. Period. What is the harm of seeing the glass half full?

and don't be dumb and try to show me contradictions in the bible.
I honestly don't care so much about how certain words or phrases can clash from time to time. What I do care about tho, is the advice and wisdom from intelligent philosophers that show us how to make life easier if we follow a few guide lines. For instance, Ecclesiastes gives the helpful advice of to "eat,drink and be marry." In short telling us to be happy, which deep down, isn't that what all of us really want............?

and Jesus gave us the advice of "To love God and our neighbors," to be treated as the greatest commandment, to be the marks of a "true" Christian. If we can love each other unconditionally and find a lasting happiness.......our goal in this life is fulfilled. I know it may not sound like much, but it's simple, fundamental and it's truth.

I hope someday you all realize it dosn't matter so much as whether we agree, but that we love and support each other every step of the way.

† Shalom †

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Blinding Light
...God unconditionally loves us. No matter what. Period.

Not according to your little book of lies, the bible. Blaspheme the third imaginary person of the trinity and the first imaginary person will roast you in imaginary hell. Sounds conditional to me!

Anyway it never ceases to amaze me the extent to which christians resort to such convoluted rationalizations in a feeble attempt to prove their imaginary god is real. It is easier and much more straightforward to prove god is purely imaginary.

Prove that Jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutes

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Hello

Place together, if possible, ice, water and steam. 3 names for three different states of the same element.

simple,

it is also simple to understand if you don't read a doctored Bible by your denomination (JW, Mormon?) that claims to be from the same text and you start to look for yourself

all the best

david

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Hello LDragonFire

A true Christian will tell you that its not what we get out of it but how we can serve and love the Lord.

If anyone cannot be satisfied with that they will never understand Christianity and will be the proverbial mustard seed that shrivels and dies.

david

[edit on 29-3-2008 by drevill]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The first commandment is simple in its wording; there can be no other explanations for what is said or what it means. Yet modern Christianity does not practice monotheism in a pure form. Christianity teaches and preaches the Trinity The belief that the Father[1] the Son[2] and the Holy Spirit[3] are of one God.

This too me is incorrect and a direct violation of the first commandment.

You shall have no other Gods before me.

That statement does not say there is only one God. It implies there are other Gods but you should not put them above the Father.

The reasoning of the OP is off. Why would God make this commandment if there were no danger of his people putting other Gods before him

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy

You shall have no other Gods before me.

That statement does not say there is only one God. It implies there are other Gods but you should not put them above the Father.

The reasoning of the OP is off. Why would God make this commandment if there were no danger of his people putting other Gods before him

Hello

if you read the rest of the commandments you will see where these gods come from. They are what men set up to be gods/idols etc.

david

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There are more than one god. There are many gods, as is evidenced in the bible. In Genesis 1, it says: "Let US make man in OUR image." US, OUR, plural, meaning more than one. Likewise, when God has the Jews moving into the Promised Land, he tells his people, the Jews, not to worship the God's of the Canaanites. Notice again, GODS. Plural, meaning many. And they, the christians have the nerve to say that pagans take things from the bible out of context. It is the other way around.Christians don't follow the tenants of their own religion. They are too busy putting down things they don't understand or can't control. And instead of spreading gods word, they are screaming about abortionists being murderers. Well, what about the christians themselves? They themselves have been responsible for many millions of murders in their nearly 2000 years of existence themselves. From pagans who would not convert to christianity. To the Crusades. The Inquisition. Anti-Semetic pogroms. And during the conquest of the new world and exploration of other parts of the world, they have murdered and plundered, raped and pillaged, all in their god's Holy name. All which was forbidden by the one commandment that said: "Thou shalt not kill!" What hypocrites. And then they have the nerve to criticize those with opposing viewpoints.This is why I myself have renounced God and religion in any form.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude...Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i'm one of those evil, evil. misguided and stupid christians. i've never understood why athiests are so vicious about christian beliefs, then i guess there are those bible bashers, i guess that'ld put me off too, but yikes, you guys could try being a little calmer about your beliefs than they are about their's. relax guy, take it easy.

as regards the whole trinity, it's actually pretty simple if you want it to be. think of it like this, a dice has six aspects, all of which are separate and unique in their own right, they all have different properties and taken individually could be said to have an exsistance and importance of their own, ask any craps player, yet they are still part of one dice, they are a single entity. the aspect with one dot is not the aspect with six dots but both are part of one dice, along with four other aspects.

if a simple cube can manage to be both one entity and six, why is it so hard to believe a supreme being and the creator of a universe, if such a thing exsisted, couldn't manage to be three entities and one?

where is the confusion here, i really don't understand what the issue is. understanding of this idea doesn't require faith, just a splinter of intelligence. you rabidly critical atheists claim to be smarter than countless millions of believers down through the generations, surely you get the trinity.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I checked, and so far I have no posts on this thread.
Seems this has been kind of in hybernation for a while and was brought back to life.
So, I missed this topic.
I would like to start out saying I ignored this, for a while, not looking past the title.
Contradictions in the Bible. Well of course, so, how could this topic be controversial?
Once I read the OP, I realized that there is a controversy here.
Probubly the biggest controversy in Christianity.
My first thought is, in this case, the contrdictions is more in the minds of the readers than in the written word.
I realize there is an argument in favor of the trinity, but in my opinion, you have to add a lot of meaning into certain key words of the verses, to make the arguments work.
I will atempt a response to some of the posts in this thread.
I have spent some years collecting and reading the ancient Christian writers, the Church Fathers, the major theological writings and the canons of the Church.
I tryed to find out how we got to where we are, in theology, by getting close to the people who shaped our understanding of God, and religion.
What I found was men who were completely wrapped up in the old Greek and Roman system of mythology of the Gods, and had to bring all new thought into line with paganism and Greek Philosophy in order to be acceptable.
You have to realize the early Bishops of the Church were mostly not Christian, and were just holdovers from the earlier State Religion, Paganism.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

first let me address the trinity. NOWHERE in the bible does it say that god, the son and the holy spirit are one. matthew says the 3 in the same sentence but doesnt say they are one.

the trinity is not a doctrine supported by the bible

if you do some digging, you´ll find that the trinity was added later. why? who knows, but its testimate as to how corrupt christianity has become.

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 [KJV]
This is a direct violation of the first commandment. A contradiction.

The Father and Son are clearly separate beings. The Father meaning The God as in You shall have NO other Gods before ME. Then We have the Son of God, that said

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” John 14:1 [KJV]

"If you love me, you will obey what I command.” John 14:15 [KJV]

Again they are separate beings. Separate Gods

the scripture are saying you should trust and be obiediant to jesus, doesn´t say to worship jesus.

if jesus came in god´s name, he´s representing god. if his command are in harmony with god, then why would it be wrong to follow jesus? especially if god sent him.

remember, even jesus was tested to his obediance. if jesus did something that was out of harmony with god´s purpose, he would be sinning too.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by miriam0566]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by drevill

it is also simple to understand if you don't read a doctored Bible by your denomination (JW, Mormon?) that claims to be from the same text and you start to look for yourself

oh that´s the problem, atheists have been quoting from the wrong bible´s! that clears everything up.

(actually i don´t think i´ve yet seen a quote from a jw´s bible or the mormon´s)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I'll give you several examples.

1. we are a triune being, a body,spirit and soul making up one person. the likeness of God, father,son,holy ghost making up one God.

2. example: fire needs 3 components to exist heat,fuel and oxygen

3. for water to exist it needs 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom

Keeper

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Keeper of Kheb]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
When I was young, there was an old man at my church who, every week, would stand up and say that he did not see how there is three persons of the godhead.
He could see how someone could figure there were two persons, but had a problem with making the Holy Spirit a person.
Luckily people dd not give him a hard time over it and allowed him to have his own opinion.
I should follow the good example of the members of my church and not try to destroy people who do not agree with me.
I would not expect anyone to agree with me because my position is that everybody is wrong.
I went through an emotional experience when the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail came out.
I had to rethink my beliefs and start over, thinking most of what I believed was only what I had been told ny different people.
One of the ideas that I came up with, as an influince from that book, was I could come closer to a good understanding of theology by reading the old books.
What I ended up knowing is that theology can not be trusted.
When I was growing up and was being taught my belief system, I was presented with a certain way of understanding it all.
This involves taking a certain belief and then going step by step through the Bible and seeing how one text explains another, untill you come up with a conclusion.
By studying the ancient writings,I found out that the different beliefs were not originaly arrived at by that proccess.
They came out of some really bad science, preconcieved ideas and very convoluted logic.
We would not even call their thought proccesses logic, in todays terms.
So, to get back on topic for a second, we are carrying a lot of baggage that is hard to throw off.
If you want to find someone who is not bogged down by it, you will find christian religions that completely re-invented themselves, like Mormanism and Jehonah's Witnesses.
I am not saying that you should join one of these, but that you should re-invent yourself.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

I'll give you several examples.

1. we are a triune being, a body,spirit and soul making up one person. the likeness of God, father,son,holy ghost making up one God.

I was under the assumption that spirit and soul where the same. It's body, mind and soul.

2. example: fire needs 3 components to exist heat,fuel and oxygen

3. for water to exist it needs 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom

Keeper

In both of these examples when you bring these 3 things together, you create fire or water. So would you say that when the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit came together God was created?

It's been shown in this thread that the Bible lists each entity as a separate being. So there are three Gods of Christianity and as the ten commandments also state, thou shall not have any other God before me, implying that there are indeed other Gods.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Yes! No where is the trinity mentioned in the Bible. It is a metaphorical phrase when Jesus says; that he and his Father are one. It is like a wedding ceremony where the pastor or whomever says; "Now the two of you will shall become one." It is a metaphor for showing unity of thought, or unity of belief, or unity in family, not to be taken literally.

Often a thought is translated into something that is romantic, such as the trinity, when in reality the intended thought is just common sense. If we take something out of context, it can change the entire meaning or what was originally intended. Jesus says a few verses after he declares that he and his Father are one: "my Father is greater than I." So if his Father is greater than him how are we to understand; "I and the Father are one?" I believe my first paragraph answered that!

God said that we are made in their image. No where in medical science is it shown that a person will go back into the womb at a later date! Or will reattach to the parent at some point in time. Some symbolism created by religion is embarrassing.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join