It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's pole reversal mimicked in lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Using molten sodium, a team of scientists headed by Michaël Berhanu of the École Normale Supérieure in Paris have managd to simulate Earth's core, down to the pole flips.

Recent work shows that swirling liquid metals produce spontaneous magnetic fields. This process, called dynamo action, is used in industrial dynamos to create electricity.

The French experiment differs from others of this kind by spinning the disks at different rotation rates. Magentic poles form spontaneously and flip spontaneously:
www.nature.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Someone in the blog section for that story posted this link: www.americanchronicle.com...

Earth’s crust and poles wander, drift and shift: Dangerous days ahead? Steve Hammons September 8, 2006

Theories have been put forth over the past decades claiming that areas of the Earth that had once been the polar ice caps changed their position and became warmer areas. The ice caps suddenly melted before new ones refroze, and a great flood occurred.

The current ice caps formed at the new cold, pole positions. Some continents and seas that had been in temperate latitudes with mild climates suddenly got very cold, very fast, according to these kinds of views.

Frozen animals unearthed from under snow and ice have been found with tropical plants in their stomachs.

Variations on pole shift theories include speculation that as Earth revolves in its orbit around the sun, year after year, century after century, it slightly changes its angle along the way. It tilts on its axis a little bit more and more, and this is simply a natural process.

Hmmm.

Nice find Byrd

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Byrd

So it was a magnetic flip ? or physical ? I dont have time to read all that science stuff

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
Byrd

So it was a magnetic flip ? or physical ? I dont have time to read all that science stuff

Byrd's link was a 'flip' mine, from the blog link in Byrd's, is the 'physical' flip or slide. The 'slide theory' is not well accepted afaik.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The reason being is that if such a thing were to happen, it would have changed earhs orbital axis and that would be detected in sediment samples IIRC. I also think that such a sliding would be catastrophic to life on the surface, though if this slide were to happen over a huge period of time, then maybe not...

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
Byrd

Magnetic. Says so in the science stuff.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Shifting of the magnetic poles has been realised for quite sometime.Magnetite a common metallic mineral holds the magnetic charge that was prevalent at the time of its cooling.It has been found that in samples placed in water and a needle added ,a basic compass,that the needle will point to the mag north as we know it today and the sample next to this will show that the needle will point to the south mag pole. Of course these samples have been found at different levels of strata. Over the last 2800 million years or so it has been estimated that the polarity of the Earth has changed quite a number of times,and each reversal seems to take from 20,000 - 100,000 years to happen.Yes it can be quite detrimental to life on the planet and one theory suggests through one of the quicker reversals that the "human" population of the earth was almost wiped out and the population stayed around 10,000 individuals for quite a few thousand years.It is believed that the Earth is now currently undergoing a polarity reversal.What effect this will have on the current population and how quick it happens is pure speculation,but through this process the Earth becomes a lot more geologically active,earthquakes volcanic eruptions,etc.
Funny to think how far we have come technologically yet still have very little knowledge of the planet we live on.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Nice find, Byrd.

I've been concerned about the magnetic shift for a while now.

If I understand correctly there's actually several poles, they're usually all lined up, but we're currently in a flux period and about to hit a period where the poles are misaligned in several directions at once. Meaning magnetic compasses would be effectively useless, and any scientific equipment that was calibrated based upon the Earth's magnetic field will be less and less reliable till they find a new standard to calibrate by.

In regards to the frozen animals with tropical plants in the stomachs, I believe this is in regards to an unrelated theory in regards to the buildup of ice at the poles every many thousands of years. The idea is that during times where the poles were accumulating ice and snow, they would get heavier and heavier. Since the Earths' crust floats on a liquid mantel, the idea is that once the top of the world gets too heavy, the whole ball suddenly shifts position to balance out the added weight to the spin. So as the top (north pole) suddenly slips downward to the equator, other lands are radically shifted along lattitudes and longitudes, but no one would notice a change in longitude, only latitude, due to temperature variance. Hence, a beastie in a tropical climate one moment ends up in a tundra the next, freezing to death, in the space of hours, if not already dead from sheer trauma of the violently moving landscape.

Whether or not this will happen with the magnetic shift is anyone's guess, but it's probably safe to assume that it will affect many things we hadn't even considered, like bird migration patterns, insect populations, yard gnomes, and perhaps even sea currents.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
www.americanchronicle.com...

Theories have been put forth over the past decades claiming that areas of the Earth that had once been the polar ice caps changed their position and became warmer areas. The ice caps suddenly melted before new ones refroze, and a great flood occurred.

The current ice caps formed at the new cold, pole positions. Some continents and seas that had been in temperate latitudes with mild climates suddenly got very cold, very fast, according to these kinds of views.

Frozen animals unearthed from under snow and ice have been found with tropical plants in their stomachs.

Variations on pole shift theories include speculation that as Earth revolves in its orbit around the sun, year after year, century after century, it slightly changes its angle along the way. It tilts on its axis a little bit more and more, and this is simply a natural process.

The natural pole shift theory includes views that Earth periodically gets to a point when this tilt becomes so heavy that momentum suddenly shifts the outer crust of the Earth off its previous axis. The outer crust slides and shifts over the fluid molten layer beneath.

But, instead of happening over hundreds of millions of years, it happens suddenly and dramatically over a period of days, weeks and months, some researchers speculate.

In addition, this natural shift happens every so many thousands of years, not millions, according to these views.

And when this occurs, weather and climate for most areas of the planet suddenly change, the old poles melt and new areas are quickly frozen over.

Theories of these periodic crustal shifts include the factors of very significant earthquakes, volcanic activity and tsunamis that would accompany such sudden movement of the Earth’s crust.

In fact, such a movement of the crust would be so violent that impact on human civilization as we know it would be extreme.

Intensely violent earthquakes would affect virtually the whole planet. Volcanic gas, ash and debris would fill the atmosphere. Huge tsunamis would crash into coastlines around the world.

The question however is, do these changes start to affect nature on some elemental level, before they take place. Eg. Just like how it's said that dogs and cats head for the hills before an earthquake.

Does nature get affected on an elemental level before this sort of thing happens? Is this why the frogs are going missing?

Is this why birds are showing up in weird places.

Is this why the Inuit are seeing the sun at earler periods, I think it was?

Is that why my some cities have been much milder the last few years, where January feels like early March? Very little snow or winter?

Are there other changes happening that are a part of this that we are just not collectivly realising?

The other thing is, are our governments already aware that this is going to happen and not telling us? I mean there is little that could be done, it would just cause an unncessacary panic, and letting us think that the warming of the earth is man made is so much easier.

Some pole shift theorists allege that historical tales about descriptions of the Earth shaking, the sudden movement of the stars in the sky, dramatic flooding and the darkening of the skies all match a long-ago crustal shift.

There is so much scitific evidence out there to show that this has happened in past times, and not too distant past times at that. I often wonder why more is not being done to preserve something after this happens.

And, the time frame for this natural and periodic change in the planet’s crust is sometimes predicted to be in the early twenty-first century. The year 2012 is put forth by some.

This is based on the fact that the Mayan calander ends that year. I think it might be worth a look at. 10 years ago or so, when I looked at this theory, I didn't think the earth was ripe for it, but lately I am not so sure.

www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

www.poleshift.org...

Some researchers have looked at different archeological and anthropological clues around the world. These clues may indicate that advanced human cultures developed long before the time frames for the origins of human civilization on Earth that we currently believe.

These unknown, ancient cultures may have been virtually destroyed by the pole shift of their time, and only fragments of and clues about their existence remain, according to some theories.

Eg. Atlantis which is shown on some of the ancient maps that were found, and that were more accurate than many of the maps that they had at the current time.

One of the most interesting set of circumstances is in regard to the continent we call Antarctica, now under the ice cap at the South Pole. Ancient maps have been found that show details of the coastline and geography of Antarctica.

The mystery in these maps is that the coastline and geographic details of Antarctica were unknown until ice-penetrating radar was used by the U.S. military to map the coastline in the second half of the twentieth century.

As the theory goes, ancient mariners must have mapped the coastline in detail at a time when it was obviously free of the ice that now covers it. This indicates that the large continent of Antarctica was at one time in a more temperate latitude, then shifted to the South Pole.

It also indicates it was like this in more recent times. What will be left of our society if this happens? We won't even have the paramids to show how advanced we had become.

Some speculate that the magnetic pull of alignments of other planets and forces in our solar system could contribute to tipping the balance of Earth’s crust off of the current axis.

These kinds of views give a whole new meaning to the term “climate change.” According to many indications and apparently valid research, we will be experiencing significant weather and climate changes in the coming years.

There may be “global warming” and/or there may be significant cooling in some parts of the world.

Torrential rains in some regions and extreme drought in others may also be in our future.

If we paid a bit more attention to this theory, we could try to predict which places would have the droughts and really bad weather and try to prepare those populations. If we can predict where these changes will be happening.

I think it's great to see this discussion here on ATS. What I would love to see is any research or recent happenings added to this thread as they happen.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hi Byrd.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Hi Rren.

Excellent article. I fully enjoyed the read. It explains everything so well in one short article, without having to read through all the literature on this.

Hi Sopwith.

Funny to think how far we have come technologically yet still have very little knowledge of the planet we live on.

That is just so well said.

Hi thelibra.

Whether or not this will happen with the magnetic shift is anyone's guess, but it's probably safe to assume that it will affect many things we hadn't even considered, like bird migration patterns, insect populations, yard gnomes, and perhaps even sea currents.

Exactly correct. We don't know how this could or will affect these creatures, but the fact that they are being affected should be examined in regards to this theory, so we can try to get some kind of true scope or magnitude of what's about to happen.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I think this is related to the subject of climate change from Islamic view

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) 1400 years ago. He said :

The Last Hour (means the end day) will not come upon us until the lands of the Arabs are once again pasture lands and filled with rivers.

thank you

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Thanks Byrd,

Had not seen this and often mentioned on the boards, never knew there was actual "non theory" out there on what happens excellent.

so BUMP

Love

Elf

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is all man-made of course. Expect a tax in the near future to help combat the pole shifts.

The amount of information we still do not have or understand is astounding, I love reading articles like this. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Couldn't a magnetic flip still have some effect on the crust itself, or at least the portions which contain large amounts of magnetic minerals? It would seem that a field that massive would have to have at least a moderate influence on those metals which are ceceptable to Magnetism. Interesting story none the less. Recreating these of effects in the lab is a huge step towards truly understanding how and why they work the way they do.

Great find. S&f

new topics

top topics

join