It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biodiesel production tripled in 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/07/02/BUGPOJNH6V1.DTL&hw=biodiesel&sn=001&sc=1000
Nationwide production has soared, tripling in 2005 to reach 75 million gallons, although it pales in comparison to the nearly 140 billion gallons of gasoline the United States consumes each year. New biodiesel plants are under construction throughout the country, some of them funded by such corporate giants as Chevron and Archer Daniels Midland.

Very interesting article that all those who are fretting, should read RIGHT NOW!
It's still just a minor dent in the 140 billion gallons of gas the states consumes, but if it continues to increase along this exponential trend, it could shake things up in the petrolium market.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hmm, noone interested? Odd...

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm very interested, Sardion. We are on the figurative first step off of the bottom level of Biodiesel production. I've been looking into buying a diesel auto for a conversion. There are a pair of biodiesel stations between my home and my school, making it very convienent for me.Whether or not I'll invest in my own Biodiesel kit? Well, seeing as how the prices hover around $1000-$1500, I'd say it's a logical next step. Then there's deciding which companies have the greatest potential, and investing in them. But that's not where the real money comes from.

The real money comes from Advertising!
Biodiesel: The T-Shirt!
Biodiesel: The Coloring Book!
Biodiesel: The Lunch Box!
Biodiesel: The Breakfast Cereal!
Biodiesel: THE FLAME THROWER!

Five bucks to whomever gets it.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoodDoctorFunk

Five bucks to whomever gets it.

merchandising! merchandising!

Use the Schwartz

Back on Topic- good to see production increase at such a rate, I hope it keeps up this pace

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoodDoctorFunk
Whether or not I'll invest in my own Biodiesel kit? Well, seeing as how the prices hover around $1000-$1500, I'd say it's a logical next step.

$1000-$1500? Conversion? To what? A diesel should be able to run B-50 without any conversion at all, and higher biodiesel contents are limited by temperature (living in Maine, you could have some serious problems without a heated fuel system). As far as a make your own biodiesel still, that shouldn't cost more than $150... And that includes your first few tankful's worth of chemicals.

One resource for this endeavor which covers vehicles and fuel:

forums.thedieselstop.com...

And one dedicated to the fuel:

www.biodieselcommunity.org...

I've run B-20 in Montana in January and March, in a 7.3l Powerstroke... it's modified... Just not for biodiesel.

Strokin' Monkeys, not just for smokin' the unsuspecting...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Woah! Thanks for the link to TheDieselStop. What I've been looking for

I admit that brewing my own biodiesel in Maine is probably a pipedream, but there are pumping stations here or there, and I'd like to take advantage of that fact my next errmm "Auto Transitional Period". If that means buying a used diesel and running only a B5 blend, well, it would be a step in the right direction. Hopefully my post-graduate life will take place in a warmer climate, as I would like to make a move towards (relative) fuel independence. S'all.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
how much fertilizer was used to create biodiesel? i hope you know that fertilizers are derived from fossil fuel, mostly, don't you?

i'll give you another reason why using crops for fuel is generally a bad idea : an old thread of mine

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
how much fertilizer was used to create biodiesel? i hope you know that fertilizers are derived from fossil fuel, mostly, don't you?

The joy of biodiesel is that it can be made by reclaiming used organic products, like all that greasy goodness from fast food restaurants.

So I think we'll get our money's worth out of any fertilizers used.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
sure, but optimal useage would have been avoiding overproduction. not 100% achievable, but certainly better than artificially creating demand for waste through subsidies, is it? just a reminder.

top topics

join