It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Officially Owns The Moon???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I know that as the US first stepped foot on the Moon they could claim it as their own, but what is the official stance on this subject?

Does the US own the Moon?
Or does the Earth Own the Moon?

Will Europe, China and Japan have to ask the US for permission to land on the Moon?

And who will Govern the Moon once we do have an inhabited station there?

Will the US just take over the day to day running of the Moon?

Who will reap the rewards from mining there?

So many questions and so little answers!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I don't think that anybody owns the moon. Do we own Mars as well??

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Do we own Mars as well??

Exactly my question!

When we do go to Mars who will lay claim to it.

The Moon and Mars could very well lead to war on Earth in the Future!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Amazing but true: You too can be the proud owner of a property on the Moon! The ultimate novel gift for yourself or a loved one.
Link

You would probably have to ask a lawyer if that would ever hold up in court....very interesting question though, wars have been fought over much less.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by Rren]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
www.lunarregistry.com...

they won't let me cut and paste, so you'll have to follow the link

google !!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
A good place to start would be the International Space Treaties IMO.

An up-to-date sitestates:

"...Reaffirming the will of all States that the exploration and use of outer space, including the Moon, the planets and other celestial bodies, shall be for weapons-free, peaceful purposes and shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interest of all countries, irrespective of their degree of economic or scientific development,..."

I imagine that this means no one owns the Moon - but I'm no lawyer - so what the heck do I know??

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

"...Reaffirming the will of all States that the exploration and use of outer space, including the Moon, the planets and other celestial bodies, shall be for weapons-free, peaceful purposes and shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interest of all countries, irrespective of their degree of economic or scientific development,..."

Very good research.

But like it was said earlier, wars have been fought for much less.

And if the US thought that China, Russia etc was to gain more from other planets than they were, im sure there would be something said.

And about that buy some land on the Moon thing. Ive always wondered if you can choose where you want to buy?
You could buy the Apollo landing sites and own the best piece of history there is. Or buy the sites of future landing sites and charge the Government to land there!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
personally using the moon to make colonies for ppl seems pointless to me. YES to making a space port or something like that for ships to refuel and such, but not for ppl. to keep ppl up there would be a waste of money and energy, there are more important things down on earth, and doing this will just add one more thing for us to worry about

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
There was a guy out selling bridges to people. When he came up to me, he asked me if I'd like to buy a covered bridge in Pennsylvania. I told him no, what I wanted was the moon and the stars for my girlfriend. He told me there wasn't much he could do about the stars, but he was sole proprietor of the moon. He ended up selling it to me for only $10. I have a deed and everything. Very cool!

So stay off my moon.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Very good research.

But like it was said earlier, wars have been fought for much less.

And if the US thought that China, Russia etc was to gain more from other planets than they were, im sure there would be something said.

And about that buy some land on the Moon thing. Ive always wondered if you can choose where you want to buy?
You could buy the Apollo landing sites and own the best piece of history there is. Or buy the sites of future landing sites and charge the Government to land there!!!

its only 30 bucks an acre ! the bay of rainbows sounds nice......

www.lunarregistry.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A long-time ago I bought an acre on the moon for $20........So, I guess I own the moon! My first piece of property is on the moon.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

the Moon, the planets and other celestial bodies, shall be for weapons-free, peaceful purposes

Let me guess, this is strictly enforced. So when i show up on the moon with my high tech guns that will fire despite the lack of O2, the cops will show up and arrest me.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer

the Moon, the planets and other celestial bodies, shall be for weapons-free, peaceful purposes

Let me guess, this is strictly enforced. So when i show up on the moon with my high tech guns that will fire despite the lack of O2, the cops will show up and arrest me.

LOL!! i must admit the hought did cross my mind too. in the past, various treaties have been signed and then been forgotten about when "push came to shove": I guess it will depend on who eventually colonises the Moon (and any planets) - those there will say it is theirs I'm sure, and that is when legal niceties will go out the window big time!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well in case this gets brought up. I am the owner of the Atlantic ocean all boundaries outside of 500 nautical miles of any shoreline. If anybody wants to buy a few gallons just let me know. If anybody wants to dispute my ownership contact my lawyer Seaman, Deepwater and Swimmer Esq.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So what happens, if say, hypothetically the next country on the moon finds alot of gold(or something very valuable), obviously weaponry can probably be easily agreed upon(ie....noone gets to put it up there) but when it comes to treasure who gets the reward..the U.N....could get very sticky and i'll say it again wars have been fought for MUCH less.

As for the moon acreage for $10-$30, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold up in a court of law, after all who sold it to them and who gave them the right to sell moon land? If some future mining company wants to purchase the land I doubt you'll be able to show proof of ownership with your "deed"

But as AlfredENewman so perfectly put it above:

I imagine that this means no one owns the Moon - but I'm no lawyer - so what the heck do I know??:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh please. Not that we are north of the 49th, but north of the administration..so our British friends where's Blair in his undying show of support for Queens favorite vacation place?

Something happens south of here it seriously effects north of there, as well as my southern neighbours..

Dallas

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Please correct me if i am wrong, but during the cold war, US and RUSSIA came to some kind of agreement that neither country owned the moon, despite the US supposedly landing there first. This was obviously an agreement that would give neither country any advantage in outer space, as both were pursuing their own agenda regarding space moon etc.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
And another thing, why is it that no other country, that i know of, has ever put other men on the moon? It can`t be just that america has done it so why bother!

I mean many people have been to and conquered everest, and countless other places, and still continue to do so today. Plese i would love some replies to this.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Once moon trips become popular, the moon I imagine will = Antartica. Except further away. And with no air. And colder.

No one will own it. But scientist from different countries could have their little sections.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas 7
And another thing, why is it that no other country, that i know of, has ever put other men on the moon? It can`t be just that america has done it so why bother!

I mean many people have been to and conquered everest, and countless other places, and still continue to do so today. Plese i would love some replies to this.

just start saving your money, and go there yourself !!!

www.virgingalactic.com...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join