It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Officially Owns The Moon???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Actually Im certain the Apollo landers will become tourist attractions.
Complete with spotlights and a red velvet rope.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Actually Im certain the Apollo landers will become tourist attractions.
Complete with spotlights and a red velvet rope.

"Have your picture taken with Neil's Footprint! Put your foot next to his! Deface history!"

Each contry would probably set up their own little camp, but if we get enough scientists and colonists out there to start with, it won't be a military base for everyone, and more of the kind of utopia apc described. Should be very promising.

Oh, and MD, about the moon myth,
NO.

apc

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well, I dunno about a 'utopia'.. Maybe 'BubbleLand'. There'll be so many domes it'll look like one of those friggen green apple things that always manage to fall out of trees and onto my truck. Well, maybe not that dense, but certainly a little pimpled.

I still intend on getting there first and shooting down everyone else, so watch out.

Pheer my laZer beams!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Who owns the Moon? No one.....Yet! As stated earlier, by UN treaty no Nation can claim ownership (or soveriegnty) of the moon or any other natural celestial body. But...The doctrine of "Possession is 9/10th's of the Law" has yet to be effectively refuted.

Indeed, IMO the true lynch-pin in any discussion of extraterrestrial property rights is that any limits imposed, which would establish such rights, would be mitigated by the shear difficulty of enforcing those rights, at least through a governing body.

Getting there is almost as difficult as staying there; but, you gotta be there to claim the right to be there, and anyone who says you can't be there is going to need to get there as well, just to kick you off! (this also explains why no one else has made the attempt yet: with current technology it's just too expensive. The only attempts took the resources of the only two super-power nations extant at the time)

It kinda boils down to this:

In the absence of established extra-terrestrial property rights, universally agreed to by Earth's governments, IF you can get to the Moon (or Mars), and IF you can stay there long enough to find something of value, and, IF you can exploit that find, say by mining it, and IF you can then transport it back to Earth, or wherever the market for your product is, and IF the extant authorities (Government/Corporate) don't Embargo you and your product, you may be able to argue your "right" to defend your extra-terrestrial grub-stake from interlopers and avoid prosecution when your security-bot shoots them with it's CO2 powered projectile device.

There is a lengthy(-er) discussion of Space Property Rights to be found at spacesettlement.org.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
you guys missed the memo, i own the moon, i bought it off P.Diddy last week...

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Oh, and MD, about the moon myth,

What moon myth???

When did i mention a myth?

If ur talking about the Apollo hoax, i believe 100% that the US landed on the Moon back in '69!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I believe that the US will lay claim to the Moon eventually and this will cause war on Earth between any other nation wanting to use the Moon as a base!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Actually i own the Moon !!!!
But in saying that i make a serious point. The moon is owned by everyone !!! The Human Race. So anyone posting here could say that the Moon was there's too. Ultimately though God owns the Moon....

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nobody ownes the moon, In my point of view that so clear... Of course the super powers would like to have "the seconday base" but in my opinion is that the small little mysterious piece that's flying up in the heaven, belongs to everybody...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
I know that as the US first stepped foot on the Moon they could claim it as their own, but what is the official stance on this subject?

Does the US own the Moon?
Or does the Earth Own the Moon?

Will Europe, China and Japan have to ask the US for permission to land on the Moon?

And who will Govern the Moon once we do have an inhabited station there?

Will the US just take over the day to day running of the Moon?

Who will reap the rewards from mining there?

So many questions and so little answers!!!

the USA owns the moon

the Earth is just the Moons landlord

Europe, China and Japan will not have to ask the US for permission to land on the Moon just like Europeans, Chinese and Japanese dont ask for permission to visit the USA and vice versa

theres nothing to govern lol, but, it prob would be international space station like the research stations in Antarctic

again, nothing to run on the moon

The USA will reap the rewards from mining there, if theres any mining to be done, and other countries will just pay taxes to the usa

hope that helps you!

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by imAMERICAN
the USA owns the moon

No it doesn't.

Europe, China and Japan will not have to ask the US for permission to land on the Moon just like Europeans, Chinese and Japanese dont ask for permission to visit the USA and vice versa

Yes we all do.

The USA will reap the rewards from mining there, if theres any mining to be done, and other countries will just pay taxes to the usa

That'd never stand, and would be a terrible way of running things. It's pretty much directly against any sort of scientific progress.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I take it everyone missed this thread: who "owns" the moon / Mars??? Most questions about ownership (even the stupid ones) were answered there.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I take it everyone missed this thread: who "owns" the moon / Mars???

Well, it was six months ago, I hope you can forgive us all.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
lol, sorry man. I don't mean to be an arse. I don't give a toss personally, It's just some of the 'questions' are really stupid.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
lol, sorry man. I don't mean to be an arse.

No harm done, no offense taken, you can just lose track of time sometimes.

I don't give a toss personally, It's just some of the 'questions' are really stupid.

But that's always the case. At least they'll learn either way.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
right the answer to this is ....
The UN made a treaty sayin that no country could claim the moon, so one man decided to claim it for himself you see those certificates saying buy a 1acre of moon thats from the guy who decided to claim the moon... wierd huh im sure this is true but i mite be wrong

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The one acre stuff is bogus, don't waste your money. You won't an acre of the moon as much as you would my life.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Originally posted by imAMERICAN
the USA owns the moon

No it doesn't.

Yes we all do.

That'd never stand, and would be a terrible way of running things. It's pretty much directly against any sort of scientific progress.

IT WAS A JOKE!

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
BAH! Well, terrible delivery, and given your username, very possible.

apc

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yeah there's a serious lacking of
goin down 'round heah!
Emoticons are our fwends.

In other news, nobody still owns the moon

Psh. The Mooninites own the Moon! They are teh suck!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join