It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Officially Owns The Moon???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
No country owns the moon, when the US landed there they did not clame it as their own...but to humanity.

In the future there will be several bases on the moon For Low gravity tests, telescopes, mining, theres a lot to learn from it.

When is comes to another planetary body I think whatever countries want a place there can have it...not to keep and own, but to use. There will be agreements like how there is know with the ISS.

BTW, all of you who bought a piece of the moon are beyond gullable, the guy cant sell the moon, you cant make money if some other country lands there spacecraft in your backyard, its all a big HOAX. I'm sure you thought "What the hell, its only $20, so if I get it great, if not, i'm only down 20", However the guy selling them is making millions from complete fools like yourselves.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   

BTW, all of you who bought a piece of the moon are beyond gullable, the guy cant sell the moon, you cant make money if some other country lands there spacecraft in your backyard, its all a big HOAX. I'm sure you thought "What the hell, its only $20, so if I get it great, if not, i'm only down 20", However the guy selling them is making millions from complete fools like yourselves.

Although i think your response was a tad harsh, you are very true.

It all stems from my question though, how can somebody sell land on the Moon when nobody owns it???

Like was said previously, i believe there have been several agreements between the US and Russia over ownership, but i still think that in 50 years when we have permanent bases their and are possibly mining, that it could end in war on Earth.

Imagine if the US and Russia had seperate sites, and the Russians found something with the value of diamonds on their plot of land!
Do you think the US would be happy???

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Although i think your response was a tad harsh, you are very true.

Some of my posts are bit harsh. After a day of work and I get home and see how wrong some people are I cant help but put them in there place, and it usually sounds like i'm being mean to em'. oh well

It all stems from my question though, how can somebody sell land on the Moon when nobody owns it???

in short:

The UN Outer Space Treaty of 1967 stipulated that no government could own extraterrestrial property. However, it neglected to mention individuals and corporations. Therefore, under laws dating back from early US settlers, it was possible to stake a claim for land, and register it with the US Government Office of claim registries.

But who really listens to the (corrupt as hell) UN anyway?.

Like was said previously, i believe there have been several agreements between the US and Russia over ownership, but i still think that in 50 years when we have permanent bases their and are possibly mining, that it could end in war on Earth.

Imagine if the US and Russia had seperate sites, and the Russians found something with the value of diamonds on their plot of land!
Do you think the US would be happy???

We'll probably both (US & Russia) have permanent bases on the moon in 20-25 years...so we'll see how it plays out.

and though i'm quite sure that there arn't any diamonds on our moon...i get your point. and I think that would be a pretty sticky situation. the moon will have dozens of satellites circling it before we both have permanent bases, so if there is something unique found in just one particular area, I think it will be a "First Come, First Serve" type of thing, but whatever country finds something unique they would still give other countries some pieces of it so that they to can study it.

However the most "priceless" thing we will find on the moon will probably be water. and Titanium will probably be second, since its well known that our moon as large amounts of the valuable metal.

I see no wars over it though.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
First come first serve...its ours, we planted our flag on it first.

Class Dismissed.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If the US "owns" the moon...

...then Norway should "own" the Arctic and the Antarctica.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
By the time we start setting up bases on the moon, there either will not be any sovereign countries left, or an international space program that will be neutral. In the post cold war space age, we see more and more multinational space missions between former enemies.

So there arent going to be any wars fought over the moon or mars. Theyt are going to be explored and resettled by international neutral projects and missions.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

And we (UK) own The US!

Am i right!!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

And we (UK) own The US!

Am i right!!!!!

Doh, hands over keys to my house.....you gotta sleeping bag and tent I can borrow MD?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

And we (UK) own The US!
Am i right!!!!!

No. The moon didn't fight (and totally win) a war of independance against the leading power of 1973.

No one ones the moon, but once we get back to it, and things start going commercial and residential, people will.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
who owned america when it was discovered? same idea, whoever gets the most people there with the most weapons owns it.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
no-one owns the moon... its ridiculous to say otherwise, its important to everyone and all life on earth. I always laugh at these ppl who buy an acre of moon for so much money because they have no way of enforcing me not to do anything to their 'property' up there. Also how does one buy land title's off something that no one owns in the first place? :S it's not as if it was bought off the government or anything if you know what i mean, then sold to private bidders through sellers.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Congradulations. You own the Moon! I forfiet all claims I have to it. I think it should be all yours. Happy Birthday.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why have astronauts and President's bought pieces of land from that silly guy that is selling parts of the moon?

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Why have astronauts and President's bought pieces of land from that silly guy that is selling parts of the moon?

Because even though its a load of rubbish, its still nice to believe you own a piece of history.
Its like all the people who think they own coal from R.M.S Titanic, many do, but thousands dont!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
If people start living on the moon, they can make the excuse that they are a different planet and will not follow any earthian laws. They will simply say this is our planet, our land, and we will do what we choose. Hey, it happened in the American colonies and look where us Americans are.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
If people start living on the moon, they can make the excuse that they are a different planet and will not follow any earthian laws. They will simply say this is our planet, our land, and we will do what we choose. Hey, it happened in the American colonies and look where us Americans are.

Very true!

If nobody owns the Moon, then who will make the laws???
Will Earth laws apply? Or will people be able to randomly shoot people while high as a kite???

I think for it to work, Earth laws would have to apply and there would have to be a combined government including every nation that had men on the Moon!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be better to own the Sun.. then you could charge for sunlight.. and put countries (or the moon) in total darkness if they didn't pay.

Need a hot sunny day in winter.. for a couple hundred million.. we'll use reflectors, etc to make your winter celebration.. a sunny day at the beach!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Will Earth laws apply? Or will people be able to randomly shoot people while high as a kite???
Moon!

THe only problem is this:
No air means that noone can smoke pot. or even have fire.
Also, guns won't work.
What good would guns do on the moon anyway?
Ah, the logistics.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
the lunar registry is more in the line of novelty gifts, like naming a star, imo. I hope no one purchased a deed thinking they had a legal document .......it will only be 10-20 years before private citizens start going up there anyway.
then we get to watch rich slobs party away in zero-g's, lets hope they don't leave behind bottles of crystal , the reptilians might launch thier mucth anticipated invasion from the dark side of the moon......

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

it will only be 10-20 years before private citizens start going up there anyway.
then we get to watch rich slobs party away in zero-g's,

a lunar nightclub. how much fun would that be!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join