It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia court jailed opposition leader and Putin critic, to 19 more years in prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Russia court sentences Alexey Navalny, jailed opposition leader and Putin critic, to 19 more years in prison

A Russian court on Friday issued its verdict in a new case against jailed opposition leader Alexey Navalny, convicting the politician of promoting "extremism" and extending his time in prison by 19 years, according to Russian state media and his own team.

Navalny, who emerged as the most outspoken critic of President Vladimir Putin's government before he was imprisoned, was already serving a nine-year sentence in a high-security prison about 150 miles east of Moscow for parole violations, fraud, and contempt of court.

Navalny and many outside observers have always considered those charges politically motivated retaliation for his criticism of Putin and the Kremlin's policies, both foreign and domestic. The U.S. quickly condemned the verdict

In the new trial, Navalny was accused of creating an extremist organization, the Anti-Corruption Foundation. That organization has authored multiple investigations into the riches of the Russian elite. He also founded a network of nearly 40 regional offices that sought to challenge Kremlin-approved local politicians.

CBS

While the relationship between the US and Russia has been strained by the war in Ukrainian and it is likly that the Russian government wouldn't put much stock in US condemnation of "alleged" political persecutions under any circumstances.

Is the soft power of US condemnation hindered on the world stage by the fact that the Biden administration can be perceived to be engaging in political persecutions itself?

Would the US be on better political footing on the world stage if it refrained from engaging in action that can easily be perceived as political persecution and left its political squabbles with Donald Trump and othere up to the electoral process?

What does the Biden administration (and the US in general) gain by persecuting its top political rival?

Let's assume for the moment that Donald Trumps is 100% guilty of what he is being accused of; what benefit is there in the long run over his prosecution? Will it prevent others from contesting elections? Will it prevent others from mishandling classified documents? The answer is clearly no; there for the only benefit for persecuting Biden's political opposition is for punishment. Is punishment a good enough reason to run afoul of US ideals and make our condemnation of other countries look hollow?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Biden and Putin are one and the same.

Corrupt criminals.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I think the title of your thread might be wrong, as what you wrote is all about Biden and Trump not the additional 19years in prison dictator Putin has handed out

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Play stupid games...

That known racist and fascist left Germany for no other good reason than to become a martyr and now he got what he asked for.

It´s "funny" how the MSM reports when the wests, "our", foreign controlled puppet gets what he repeatedly asked for, 19 additional years, but is almost completely silent about people like Assange who may face 175 years in prison of the "good ones". You can not help but love these double standards...

Whose problem is Navalny? Maybe Putins/russias ( i don´t think so as we can witness), so why should i as a german care about that Navalny guy?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

How is this about Trump and Biden and the US rather than Putin?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpThenDown

I think the title of your thread might be wrong, as what you wrote is all about Biden and Trump not the additional 19years in prison dictator Putin has handed out

It is the title of the linked article; my comments are a unique interpretation of the events. I believe both are the rules of the message board.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

He did get poisoned and whilst in a German hospital being treated after nearly being dead Putin had him done for failing to turn up at Court?

But, Assange, whataboutism and he deserved what he got.
Nice?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Once again, please hear my plea, the USA has ZERO business with anything to do with the Ukraine or Russia at this time. Its very dangerous and we need to let them figure out their own problems.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:41 PM
link   

The situation Alexey Navalny is in has nothing in common with the situation DJT has put himself in.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What does the Biden administration (and the US in general) gain by persecuting its top political rival?

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I could be way off base, but I think even the dumbest campaign leaders know they're propping up Trump for the win. Why would they do that? It's obvious Biden can't win...if he even survives that long.

My guess is Biden will be replaced at the last minute as an alternative to Trump, too late for the GOP to do vetting and damage the reputation of DNC's real choice for POTUS.

We're going to have 24/7/365 basing of Trump on the evening news. Plant those thoughts in the subconscious minds of millions of voters!

Trump is 79 currently, and we've all had more than a little taste of what can happen when the elderly loose their cognitive abilities and run the country. If the DNC can choose and whitewash the right candidate last-minute (not RFK II) it will be another 'he's not Trump' or 'he's not Hillary' election.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The situation Alexey Navalny is in has nothing in common with the situation DJT has put himself in.

Of course not; I didn't make the argument that the two situations were the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Because for some absolutely everything has to be about America, how Biden is the root of all evil and Trump is the Messiah.

As a result they can casually brush aside Putin's treatment of those who oppose him and their support of a de facto dictator.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2

originally posted by: gortex

Of course not; I didn't make the argument that the two situations were the same.

Then why post a story about Navalny then write an OP about Trump and Biden ?

Would the US be on better political footing on the world stage if it refrained from engaging in action that can easily be perceived as political persecution and left its political squabbles with Donald Trump and othere up to the electoral process?

Alexey Navalny is facing political persecution for speaking words DJT is reaping what he's sewn through his own alleged criminal actions, the situations are not equivalent.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Exactly. There is simply no comparison.

Navalny was more or less instantly imprisoned. Trump is undergoing due process and fair trials.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

While I think a lot of the charges in the US are Trumped up (pun intended).

The difference is the allegations for some of the crimes is he abused his power. We could debate here, but getting to my point, Navalny never got power… He merely sought to challenge the power of someone ruling that country for decades.

He’s also been in prison, and looks to be staying there for a long time. Trump hasn’t served any time yet. Trump also said he would do the same thing “lock her up” even though he never did. So while I can admit a lot of the actions against him are politically motivated, it’s hard for me to feel as sorry for him as many here when he helped birth that kind of rhetoric. I wouldn’t have shed a tear for Hilary going to jail, and she likely deserves it. Just pointing out he engaged in similar saber rattling.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Because for some absolutely everything has to be about America, how Biden is the root of all evil and Trump is the Messiah.

As a result they can casually brush aside Putin's treatment of those who oppose him and their support of a de facto dictator.

Have you stopped to wonder that people probably don't care about the corruption in Russia as much as they care about corruption in their own country perpetrated by their own rulers?

I see people like yourself constantly criticize Putin but never criticize your own leadership. Why is that?

What do you hope to achieve ignoring the corruption in your own country and perpetually fixating on Putin and Trump apparently?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Throw away the key. Navalny has caused so much trouble I'd label him as a terrorist. To the leftie lib's out there a trouble maker in the least.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I see people like yourself constantly criticize Putin but never criticize your own leadership.

Yeah. ok.
You obviously haven't read any of my posts about politicians in the UK.

What do you hope to achieve ignoring the corruption in your own country.....

Do I?

....and perpetually fixating on Putin and Trump apparently?

I don't, only in threads that are related to Putin and Trump.....and Biden.

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   

In other words, he survived the couple of years in the penal colony they did not think he would survive and now they extended it by a hefty amount to guarantee it happens in that period.

Why not just shoot him in the head?

We know they execute people, throw them out of buildings, poison them. Why not just do this the Russian way?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I like this part:

Navalny was accused of creating an extremist organization, the Anti-Corruption Foundation.

I can't see an anti-corruption foundation surviving very long in the US either. At least not one the goes after the money trails of the country's most rich and powerful.

Anyone care to try?

Watch out for those private intelligence companies that run counter-anti-corruption operations.

An Inside Look into Private Intelligence and Counter-Anti-Corruption

edit on 4-8-2023 by IndieA because: Spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join