It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia court jailed opposition leader and Putin critic, to 19 more years in prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Exactly. There is simply no comparison.

How about this comparison; Gonzalo Lira. Locked up by the Ukrainian gov't for speaking out against the Ukrainian gov't.

Trump is undergoing due process and fair trials.

This is laughable. Also, he's yet to have a trial, so kind of preemptive wouldnt you say?

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   
bad habits spread to minds that are alike

posted on Aug, 4 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: gortex

Exactly. There is simply no comparison.

Navalny was more or less instantly imprisoned. Trump is undergoing due process and fair trials.

Carpy your smarter than that stop short changing yourself.

Trump is being attacked because he is a political Rival of the Left end of story , Were he not running for POTUS the Left wouldn't give a rats ass about Donald Trump.

They are trying to put him in jail for hear say and Circumstantial Hyperbole nothing more. " Oh he said this BUT this is what he meant " is all I'm hearing from the Media.

Meanwhile We have Hunter and Joe Cold on Treasonous exchanges of Money with enemies of the state and yeah Fair Trials and Due Process.
edit on 4-8-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Trump is being attacked because he is a political Rival of the Left end of story , Were he not running for POTUS the Left wouldn't give a rats ass about Donald Trump.

"He could stand on the front steps of the White House and commit murder and I'm with him"

The cult of flawed personality is a dangerous thing , putting someone above the law is even worse.

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2
He went back to Russia for no good reason except he wanted to become a martyr. Nobody forced him to go back and nobody, really nobody with a sane mind could understand his decision. He left wife and kids and went back knowing what will happen.

As i said, play stupid games...

And "whataboutism" is the childish killer argument of people with no real arguments at hand. When i witness and point out how "our freedom loving politicians" jump in front of every MSM cam seconds after this, for our nation and people absolutely uninteresting (we have more than enough real problems since at least 2020) Navalny headline appeared in the news and how you get repeatedly fed with this issue nonstop now but the same "politicians", in Germany to 99% transatlantic controlled puppets from the Atlantikbrücke and WEF agents like "foreign minister" Baerbock for example, are completely silent when "we, the good ones" do the same but worse, then this is whataboutism?

For me it is presenting the double standards of the "good ones, us". If you want to demonize somebody else for something then it is better you haven`t done the same thing for what you try to demonize somebody else now. Otherwise you look like an embarrassing clown at best.

And that´s what "we", the west, or what the "elites made from it, look like now, like awkward clowns. Still sitting on the high horse without realizing that the horse is long dead. Not only when it comes to made up "russia issues" we shouldn´t care for.

We should put our own house in order first before we try to tell others that everything is good when we do it but really, really super-bad when somebody else, especially the made up "enemy", does it too. This super-teacherly fuss is sure to fall heavily on our feet. Asia, Africa and the so called third world already started to show us the middle finger because soon we are third world for them and they know it.

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Interview with Alexei Navalny from 2020 discussing his poisoning and the corruption of the Russian elite.

I hope he survives his incarceration to witness the fall of the dictatorship he has fought for so long to expose.

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

I understand the point and comparrison you are making, but how about explaining some of the history that led up to Navalny being imprisoned in the first place. Was he extremist and a facist as suggested by the other poster? Was he being a plant for the USA/UK to oppose and drum up social upheaval and Revolution in Russia (bit like what happened in Ukraine)? Or is he genuinely on the heroic moral side opposing Russian high level coorruption?
From what I have read, those who truly stick their head above the parapet to expose the wrong doings at the top level (especially in the area of child abuse) end up in fatal 'accidents', suicides or lone nutter attacks (especially in UK) After all dead men can't talk.
edit on 5-8-2023 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

"This is laughable. Also, he's yet to have a trial, so kind of preemptive wouldnt you say?'

No.

Saying that he is undergoing due process is not pre-empting anything. "Undergoing".

It's a fact.

Totally different to what happened to Navalny

Who, by the way was poisoned?
edit on 5-8-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

While I think a lot of the charges in the US are Trumped up (pun intended).

The difference is the allegations for some of the crimes is he abused his power. We could debate here, but getting to my point, Navalny never got power… He merely sought to challenge the power of someone ruling that country for decades.

He’s also been in prison, and looks to be staying there for a long time. Trump hasn’t served any time yet. Trump also said he would do the same thing “lock her up” even though he never did. So while I can admit a lot of the actions against him are politically motivated, it’s hard for me to feel as sorry for him as many here when he helped birth that kind of rhetoric. I wouldn’t have shed a tear for Hilary going to jail, and she likely deserves it. Just pointing out he engaged in similar saber rattling.

Do you think there are any socialite issues when the Justice Department is sullective in its persecutions? As you pointed out Hillary not being persecuted and Donald Trump is for all moat the exact same bad behavior. What are the ramifications to society witnessing Justice becoming a two teared system; as it is in countries such as Russia and China?
edit on 5-8-2023 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos

I understand the point and comparrison you are making, but how about explaining some of the history that led up to Navalny being imprisoned in the first place. Was he extremist and a facist as suggested by the other poster? Was he being a plant for the USA/UK to oppose and drum up social upheaval and Revolution in Russia (bit like what happened in Ukraine)? Or is he genuinely on the heroic moral side opposing Russian high level coorruption?

Does it make a difference if Navalny was a boy scout or a real nuisance to the Russian government? Is the response he received from the government acceptably?

"Play studpid games get stupid prizes" is an easy argument to level on an online message board. But does it work in real life, since it can be used to justify any action on the part of the state.
edit on 5-8-2023 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   

His "trial" was a farce by any standard, except perhaps by Cardassian standards?

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It appears that Russia's justice system has a LOT in common with the (current) US DoJ.

Sad to see. The multinational MSM attempts to show contempt for Russia's actions while being a party to the same actions themselves.
Hypocrites.
edit on 5-8-2023 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

It appears that Russia's justice system has a LOT in common with the (current) US DoJ.

Seriously ?

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Seriously ?

Holding people in jail without due process for a couple years now, so yes... And that's just one of many similarities. Hypocrites like yourself wouldn't see that.

edit on 5-8-2023 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Is Trump in jail and not undergoing due process?

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Is Trump in jail and not undergoing due process?

Wasn't referring to Trump.

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Trump is going through due process.
He may go to trial, he may not.
He may get found guilty by a jury of his pears, he may not.

Navalny got tried and convicted purely because he opposes Putin.
None of the above; no transparent investigation, no due process, no trial and judgement by his pears.

There is no comparison.

posted on Aug, 5 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos

Does it make a difference if Navalny was a boy scout or a real nuisance to the Russian government? Is the response he received from the government acceptably?

"Play studpid games get stupid prizes" is an easy argument to level on an online message board. But does it work in real life, since it can be used to justify any action on the part of the state.

I was merely looking for information to see why a government would do this in the first place as that was not provided in the OP. I did not mention stupid games stupid prizes. Rebels and anti establishment movements are justified and required to keep rogue corrupt governments in check but at the same time governments who are not rogue and are trying to do what's right for their people and country but are faced with possibly compromised by other nations opponents who are trying to destabilise things and cause trouble, then they would be justified in their actions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join