It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Debt initiative struck down

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

The Supreme Court has said that Biden overstepped his authority in offering student debt cancellation. How will this play out for Democrats in the upcoming election?

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Jun 30 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CaliGirl69

It's going to crush the GOP's hope of victory next year. Young voters are the single most important voting demographic right now and they're going to be pissed.

(post by RazorV66 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A staff reminder: The Mud Pit is kaput.

That said, refrain from dragging mud in our house.

Muddy posts will be removed as political trolling which comes with a two-warn wham.

As usual, do NOT reply to this post.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare

It's going to crush the GOP's hope of victory next year. Young voters are the single most important voting demographic right now and they're going to be pissed.

That's because they haven't yet figured out they're going to be paying it back their entire lives and then some. 'Student Loan Forgiveness just means even more tax money coming out of their pockets and less money to live on for the rest of their lives.

Most student loans — about 92% — are owned by the U.S. Department of Education.

Total federal student loan borrowers: 43.8 million.

Total outstanding federal student loan debt: $1.64 trillion.

[www.nerdwallet.com...-federal-student-loan-debt]

These kids have had an indulged, free ride their entire short lives and are in for a rude awakening when to realize money doesn't grow on trees but actually comes out their own pocket.

Only 27% of college grads are able to even get a job in their fields. That's a lot of money to end up flipping burgers!
I'm all for gov, funded 2 year trade schools, but not these 1,000's of dollar dead-end degrees.
[www.washingtonpost.com...]

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbare

The GOP can call it a "handout" which it is in a way but without tackling this issue and offering some plan for relief it will for sure hurt the chances of the GOP.

Unless we're just gonna be OK with rich people getting higher education and the poor being in debt for life.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

The GOP better move quick. It's already been announced that the White House is going to be revealing new protections for student loan holders.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The only people who will be pissed are those who do not understand the entire "tuition reimbursement" plan was a ploy pandering for votes.
It never was going to happen, the three branches of government and the system of checks and balances we have won't allow it.
It's illegal and unconstitutional.
edit on 30-6-2023 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

The GOP can call it a "handout" which it is in a way but without tackling this issue and offering some plan for relief it will for sure hurt the chances of the GOP.

Unless we're just gonna be OK with rich people getting higher education and the poor being in debt for life.

This really has nothing to do with the GOP and everything to do with spending beyond people’s means, or having a plan to fulfill their obligations.

This should’ve never been put on the taxpayer, it was an individual choice. Should people’s mortgages be assumed by the taxpayers? A home is even more of a necessity, but if you purchase more home than you can afford… you get foreclosed.

Many people buy cars they can’t afford, because they can’t control their sense gratification. If they can’t keep up with their payments, it gets repossessed.

Some people can’t control their sense gratification and consume too much alcohol, drugs, sugar, other foods and they pay the price in disease and perhaps other losses.

Don’t buy what you can’t afford, OR COME UP WITH A PLAN and work the plan! There’s much more SATISFACTION in accomplishment.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

This really has nothing to do with the GOP and everything to do with spending beyond people’s means, or having a plan to fulfill their obligations.

This should’ve never been put on the taxpayer, it was an individual choice. Should people’s mortgages be assumed by the taxpayers? A home is even more of a necessity, but if you purchase more home than you can afford… you get foreclosed.

Many people buy cars they can’t afford, because they can’t control their sense gratification. If they can’t keep up with their payments, it gets repossessed.

Some people can’t control their sense gratification and consume too much alcohol, drugs, sugar, other foods and they pay the price in disease and perhaps other losses.

Don’t buy what you can’t afford, OR COME UP WITH A PLAN and work the plan! There’s much more SATISFACTION in accomplishment.

OK so college is no longer affordable for middle class workers. Good luck selling that to 20s and 30s voter range. Maybe the american dream is truly dead letting banks and colleges pluck our youth clean before they even get started.

Pull yourself up from your bootstraps mentally will get you no new voters. I've work hard everyday of my life and have had student debt my entire adult life.

And yes it's a GOP issue because of statements like yours and no plan to solve the issue
edit on 30-6-2023 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2023 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   

they're going to be pissed.

Over what?

They made the decision on the degree they pursued. They signed the loan contract and terms they agreed to. And it’s the GOP’s fault?

Anyone waiting for Santa needs to suck it up and take responsibility for their decisions. Like generations of critical-thinking grown adults before them.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI
The plan to solve the issue falls upon those that borrow beyond their present means.

I agree that colleges charge vastly more than they should.

But when people keep purchasing their products at these inflated prices, what impetus do they have to change their prices?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   
On a truly selfish level, this is a boon to folks like me.

I earned my degree back when scholarships and grants were plentiful...and generous enough to provide a virtually "free-ride", including tuition, books, and housing, for upto four full years.

Consequently, I have a degree, and all the career, and financial advantages, that status entailed, without any of the burden lingering educational debt imposes.

And I will continue to benefit now, apparently, thanks to this decision by the SCOTUS, in that I can rest assured that none of my taxes will be used to assist those unfortunate who, like me, sought to make a better life for themselves, but never had access to the financial aid I enjoyed.

And, to add a cherry to top of this delicious cupcake,

The GOP, in their opposition to providing relief to those struggling under crushing student loan debt, have handed a massive voter demographic over to the Democratic party....right in time for a Presidential election!

Sweet, sweet irony

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Democrats are upset because they have to pay their own bills now instead of having someone else do it.

The election?

You mean Afghanistan, the open southern border, inflation, higher taxes weren't enough?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Democrats are upset because they have to pay their own bills now instead of having someone else do it.

The election?

You mean Afghanistan, the open southern border, inflation, higher taxes weren't enough?

I'm not a Democrat and I'm upset at our government doing absolutely nothing about this issue. Inflation and higher taxes on top of student debt is going to push many to not vote for republicans telling you to "just work harder" "why'd you take out the loan to better yourself?"

It's not a good look and it's insulting

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The election?

I'm not a Democrat and I'm upset at our government doing absolutely nothing about this issue. Inflation and higher taxes on top of student debt is going to push many to not vote for republicans telling you to "just work harder" "why'd you take out the loan to better yourself?"

Inflation and higher taxes are Bidens fault.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The election?

Maybe so but student debt is personal to the voter and not doing anything about it will lead to independents either not voting or voting Democrat.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You keep blaming this on the Republicans. But what are the democrats doing about it? a reply to: JDmOKI

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The election?

Maybe so but student debt is personal to the voter and not doing anything about it will lead to independents either not voting or voting Democrat.

Then why have loans at all if Mother Government will take care of you?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
why did the lawyers let biden sign the order if they knew it was illegal?

how could they not know it was illegal?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join