It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So What's Next?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Where was the Russophobia in my post? I'm asking how far back you'd like to go to select your borders.

I have nothing against Russians or Slavs at all. I don't like bully dwarves like Putin.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh, I'm quite aware of the whys. I refuse to buy any card from that area if it's marked up to US prices. They're making a killing off of us. I'm not giving some Chinese guy 2K unless he flies over here himself and verifies that it works properly first.

Even with the whole CHIP bill I'm not expecting prices to go down for quite some time, excluding the already maybe decent price drops coming this November.

I really want a 3080. They're listed for around 8 or 900, but they're usually sold out still, and the ones that are for sale are either extremely marked up still or fake. My buddy bought one a few months ago and it ended up being a fried 2070.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

That CHIP bill is a joke. All that is doing is laundering money to campaign contributors. If the materials to do the job are not available, they're not available... and China determines if they are available. Biden is too "green" to allow any kind of refining capability domestically.

It might make a little difference in R&D, but manufacturing is a no-go from the start. A few companies are throwing some money into domestic manufacturing facilities, but they'll gain short-term from their stock increases and profit more from the government payouts.

Remember Solyndra? A lot of people made a lot of money on that deal, and I have never seen a Solyndra solar cell for sale.

3080, eh? Nvidia... well, I guess there's got to be a market for the inferior brands too. I'm a Radeon man, myself. Amazon has a few, though, including one by MSI for $900 and two by ASUS in the $950-$1000 range.

That was a quick glance... no idea if they live up to the hype or not. Check the reviews (but you knew that already).

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
The drones speak to my point. They need money.

Right... when I go buy guns, that means I don't need guns but I do need money. So I'm giving away the stuff I need to receive the stuff I don't need. Flawless logic, lol

Having conscripts and soldiers pack a kit doesnt seem too beyond the pale. Anyone with combat experience can feel free to correct me.

Yeah! When I was in the army, the first thing they gave me was a list of things you don't need in a war, so everyone could get enough stuff they don't need from home.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Right... when I go buy guns, that means I don't need guns but I do need money. So I'm giving away the stuff I need to receive the stuff I don't need. Flawless logic, lol

Yea, that logic makes zero sense. However the logic I'm applying is that they need to sell what they have to buy what they need. Giving away doesn't play into it.

Yeah! When I was in the army, the first thing they gave me was a list of things you don't need in a war, so everyone could get enough stuff they don't need from home.

....like a first aid kit?

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
'Russia may need many things... materials, circuitry, semiconductors, labor... but they have no issue whatsoever with weapons design.

Look, when I was talking about weapons I was talking about weapons, not weapons design. Do you really think this war will even go on long enough for them to have time to design new weapons? They'd better start making Armatas first before they come up with new, even more expensive designs. The design expertise is wasted if you never produce the weapons.

I haven't seen any Chinese hardware captured in Ukraine. Why are you so sure? I could see China wanting to prolong the war in order to weaken both the West and Russia. But also I could see them just choosing to let Russia spend as much of it's strength as possible.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Yea, that logic makes zero sense. However the logic I'm applying is that they need to sell what they have to buy what they need. Giving away doesn't play into it.

No, giving away absolutely plays into it, because that's what I asked: is Russia receiving foreign aid. When I asked that you replied that they don't need weapons or food, they don't need drones, they need money. Then I said they do, and you asked for sources on that. So I posted sources, and then you started applying this logic that you have now abandoned again because it's a dead end.

....like a first aid kit?

Yeah, exactly.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 04:34 AM
link   

During the Cold War there was a continuous phone link between the White House and the Kremlin. It was there in case of a mishap, in the hope that an accident could be prevented from annihilating both countries. I believe it was even used for that a few times, but that is pure memory speaking and could be wrong.

Again those lines have been deteriorating for years, we can blame everybody else and ourselves but ultimately it's a Russian problem isn't it? Russia's the problem, the boulder in the road.

There have been no attempts at diplomacy this time, especially from the West. None.

Not necessarily true but who is Russia going to listen to anyways? It's fixated and their minds are made up. I can't stress the belligerence on their part although admittedly there's been little sympathy from most of the world but what's to be expected with Russia's actions leading upto the invasion.

Let's face something here: the time for even attempting to use diplomacy is long past. We burnt that particular bridge. Now we have only one path available to us, and it is the one that involves missiles raining down on civilians.

Seems to be a rather inevitable conclusion, this has been decades in the making. The easiest way to frame it is Russia is mentally ill and in a state of extreme stress. It's obviously an overly simplistic way to look at it but if you did the important thing to consider would be the mindset of the 'individual'.

That's not solely on Russia; it took both sides to get to this point.

Just like society is responsible for mass murderers in an abstract way. Maybe it's not so abstract? It's always the individual killing... Unless you're sick and privileged enough to order someone else to do it.

I wish they'd all be honest, just for once.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

when I was talking about weapons I was talking about weapons, not weapons design. Do you really think this war will even go on long enough for them to have time to design new weapons?

The designs are already finished. Russia also builds weapons themselves. All they need are materials.

Russia is already the second largest arms exporter on the planet, with the USA being number one.

I haven't seen any Chinese hardware captured in Ukraine.

Yes, you have. Every one of those weapons that uses electricity, that includes choppers, guided missiles, transport vehicles, etc., have electrical systems made in China. So do ours. China makes all of that stuff.

Why are you so sure?

Because Russia has an abundance of what China needs and needs what China has in abundance, and vice versa. This is nothing new; China has been gobbling up every spare drop of oil on the planet they can get their hands on for decades now. There are numerous LNG pipelines already pumping LNG into China from Russia and more under construction. There is no reasonable doubt that Russia and China are economic allies.

China will not risk losing that energy supply. They will supply Russia with whatever they need... for a price. That price can even be in cubic meters of LNG or barrels of oil. China also has the technology and materials for the high-tech weaponry needed by Russia.

One would have to be blind or a fool to not see what is happening between China and Russia.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Again those lines have been deteriorating for years, we can blame everybody else and ourselves but ultimately it's a Russian problem isn't it? Russia's the problem, the boulder in the road.

That's a typically Western attitude. "They started it, so it's their problem" while ignoring our own contribution.

Maybe Russia thinks we're the problem. The West is not the arbiter of what everyone in the world thinks.

Not necessarily true but who is Russia going to listen to anyways? It's fixated and their minds are made up.

I'd like to know what actions we have taken that you would consider "diplomatic." Seems to me that every time Russia issues a complaint, it is ignored, scoffed at, or laughed away. I'll be honest: if I were done that way, I'd get to where I wouldn't listen to other people either.

As a matter of fact, I do ignore a lot of people because of that. If they're not going to take me seriously, why bother trying to get them to do so?

The easiest way to frame it is Russia is mentally ill and in a state of extreme stress.

Is that what you consider "diplomacy"?

"You're obviously mental" is not a way to make friends. Believe it or not. It's how one makes enemies.

Just like society is responsible for mass murderers in an abstract way.

No, I'm not talking abstract. There are times when the murder victim is at fault for doing something that made his murderer murder him.

If someone comes home and finds their wife in bed with another man, and then shoots them, that's wrong. They should not have fired the gun. But then again, if the guy hadn't been making happy with his wife, he never would have done so. Both share the blame.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:50 AM
link   

IMO mainstream media outlets are ignoring or overlooking the difficulties post-war Ukraine will face. Moreover, it is worth considering a few matters slipping under the radar. Ethnic Russians will face the risk of reprisals or expulsion from their home country. Zelenskyy, or his successor, and Ukraine's other political leaders will need to get ahead of that issue.

Russia might demand the return of POWs. Such a development would test Ukraine's pledge not to send these men back to Russia, against their wishes. Also, if the former POWs are deported to Russia, they face the wrath of Putin's regime.

I welcome countries adopting areas of Ukraine for reconstruction. But I don't know how that approach to rebuilding Ukraine will work in practice.

Ukraine will experience the old rule concerning peace is more challenging to win than the war.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:54 AM
link   

"The designs are already finished. Russia also builds weapons themselves. All they need are materials."

Which designs are you talking about? And what I'm saying is that they need weapons because they're using more than they can produce. As evidenced in my earlier post.

"Every one of those weapons that uses electricity, that includes choppers, guided missiles, transport vehicles, etc., have electrical systems made in China. So do ours. China makes all of that stuff."

Of course. I never said they don't import components and raw materials. But that still isn't what I was talking about. We've gone over this several times now.

"China will not risk losing that energy supply. They will supply Russia with whatever they need... for a price."

So now you actually agree with what I wrote? I feel like we're going in circles.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Yeah, once I read into it my suspicions were confirmed.

I like Radeon as well. My current build is an AMD build and I've got a couple of Ryzen cards in it and it does well for most games, but it just doesn't perform as well as my last Intel/Nvidia build.

All the way up to last year I had no problem playing games on ultra high(or loathingly stepping down to high settings) but this year the games that have come out that make my computer throw tantrums and overheat. It's probably getting worn out too.

The current build I want to put together is around four grand, and the 3080ti isn't helping. Neither is the storage. or the RAM lmao.

eta

Back in 2013/2014 When I was in the Navy I started looking at gaming laptops. I never really considered them being worth the money, but Asus had a ROG laptop, a G750JH and I bought one fully loaded. I think I got it for a little over 2K, and that thing was a beast. Both in weight and performance considering it was a laptop. I actually used it all the way up until about 2018 or 19. Kind of miss it. It was nice being able to bring it on trips when I was doing contract work.
edit on 13-10-2022 by AutomateThis1v2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 05:59 AM
link   

We come together, as as allies, drafting up short-term and long-term solutions. In the short-term, America can provide the fossil fuels needed for Europe to get by. Say, 10 years. Yes, it would require additional production on our end. We'd probably have to tap into reserves while production is ramped up but sacrifices are needed for our allies.

In the long-term, the focus can be spent on establishing an increasing amount of renewable energies in Europe, reducing but not elimating their dependency on fossil fuels. As tech becomes better, then full replacement will become an option.

It will cost money, yes. All things do. The situation, however, exists while we like it or not, so it must be addressed.

I'm just an arm chair politician, so my ideas are lacking depth. Helping out our friends and allies is kind of like real life, though. It strengthens the relationship while benefitting both parties.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Since Joe Biden can end all of our lives (along with these threads), it's wise to listen to him.

Biden says Russia President Vladimir Putin is a "Rational Actor".

www.axios.com...

Since he's rational, that means we can (hopefully) get a cease-fire quickly, if the RIGHT PERSON is negotiating Putin vs Zelenskyy!

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Biden says Russia President Vladimir Putin is a "Rational Actor".

Man this is what I've been telling everyone. But I'm afraid they'll be less likely to believe me if Biden says so too, lol.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   

That's a typically Western attitude. "They started it, so it's their problem" while ignoring our own contribution.

Maybe Russia thinks we're the problem. The West is not the arbiter of what everyone in the world thinks.

Not at all.

It's an interaction issue. It takes two to tango and a crowd to have a disco but I'm not going to sit here and frame Russia as the nutter at the party... I don't need to.

I'd like to know what actions we have taken that you would consider "diplomatic." Seems to me that every time Russia issues a complaint, it is ignored, scoffed at, or laughed away. I'll be honest: if I were done that way, I'd get to where I wouldn't listen to other people either.

Individually or collectively?

Again I can't stress enough how difficult it is to talk to a belligerent actor, I'll also add: a one that never wanted to talk.

As a matter of fact, I do ignore a lot of people because of that. If they're not going to take me seriously, why bother trying to get them to do so?

Entertain the idea that Ukraine doesn't exist? There's a lot more directly from the horse's mouth that's much more absurd. On an individualistic level I've learned not to bother with people stuck on themes who rant and rave like lunatics about boogeymen over the border or under the bed.

You can talk about rainbows and at the end of it there's a nazi armed with NATO nuclear warheads... My point with that is it takes two to tango or a crowd to disco. If Russia wants to be taken seriously it needs to take 'individuals' seriously too.

Gosh look at me going back to those damn treaties and egotistical Russia addressing only the US and NATO or in their minds only the US lol. You said yourself you don't take others seriously. It's a disconnect Redneck. It just ain't dancing.

Is that what you consider "diplomacy"?

"You're obviously mental" is not a way to make friends. Believe it or not. It's how one makes enemies.

I'm framing and analysing, let's be realistic and admit that whatever we say matters little anyways. I've dealt with enough high stress, mental illness and violent encounters and I've also been like Russia in the past if we're speaking hypothetically... The picture fits the frame.

Honesty is a beautiful quality and it can be reflective in time I'd like to believe. No I'm not talking diplomacy but I don't want to go off-topic talking about how you 'fix' mental illness... You don't, I don't even think interjections should be done outside of inevitable violent/dangerous incidents. No, it's about empowerment. Let's help Russia understand it has a huge problem and explore how it can go about interacting with the world again without distressing itself and the inhabitants.

As I say I've got the t-shirts and it's mostly other people's blood, snot and tears

No, I'm not talking abstract. There are times when the murder victim is at fault for doing something that made his murderer murder him.

Some of the greatest most ancient stories known to man tackle that theme... It's still murder, it's still wrong, the option to walk away is always there.

We don't control our emotions but we control how we react to them. But I'm just a self-admitted idiot on the internet
fits of rage and panic attacks will kill if you don't learn to control them though!

Cheating spouses... Lol. Your inner child should be doing backflips! That's freedom that is! Grew up living lies and painting illusions and snap when it all comes crashing down. Yeah... It's genuinely sad stuff to see Redneck.

Honesty is easy if you keep at it, the lies? Will kill us all.
edit on 13-10-2022 by RAY1990 because: Typos/extra words

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: InwardDiver

Yes let's... lets help our globalist allies who are only really our allies when they're having their ass handed to them or running out of gas.

America is not on-board with that, any of the sane adult thinkers anyway and personally I am more than happy at seeing a weakening EU that is becoming increasingly right-leaning.

EU want's energy then give Putin his annexation and stop the war, work out the details with diplomacy and let the people decide... but first you have to stop long enough to give them and hear their voice.

Freeze! get your own gas... stop fighting like a bunch of crack Hitlers.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

"You can talk about rainbows and at the end of it there's a nazi armed with NATO nuclear warheads... My point with that is it takes two to tango or a crowd to disco. If Russia wants to be taken seriously it needs to take 'individuals' seriously too."

Ahem.

Ukraine is not armed with NATO warheads.

They gave up their Russian nukes to become independent from the old USSR..

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Ethnic Russians will face the risk of reprisals or expulsion from their home country. Zelenskyy, or his successor, and Ukraine's other political leaders will need to get ahead of that issue.

I am not yet convinced the leaders of Ukraine have any interest in protecting the human rights of those citizens who identify as ethnic Russians. Claims have been made for some time about oppression under Ukraine in peace-time.

Of course, such would be the preferred method of handling any backlash.

Russia might demand the return of POWs. Such a development would test Ukraine's pledge not to send these men back to Russia, against their wishes. Also, if the former POWs are deported to Russia, they face the wrath of Putin's regime.

I'm not sure I understand your meaning correctly. Do these POWs wish to be sent home? I can take your wording to mean they do and Ukraine has pledged to not do so, or that they do not wish to be sent home and Ukraine has pledged to support that decision.

Russia has the right to ask for the return of POWs. Ukraine has the obligation to comply with such a request. Should any POWs not wish to return home, they can always request asylum in Ukraine and it would be within Ukraine's prerogative to grant asylum if indicated.

I will (again) point out that Russia at this point has done nothing to indicate there would be reprisals for their returning POWs. Russia had a perfect opportunity to implement such reprisals against Alex and Andy, two Alabama citizens who fought for Ukraine and were captured by Russian forces. Both have been returned safe and sound, and neither has indicated any improper treatment while they were held. As a matter of fact, an earlier statement indicated their capture was due to a lack of consideration by Ukrainian forces.

I cannot at this time agree that Russia would be given to abusing their own returning POWs. As the rest of the world was already calling for their destruction anyway, only a moral obligation could have been responsible for Alex and Andy's good treatment.

I welcome countries adopting areas of Ukraine for reconstruction. But I don't know how that approach to rebuilding Ukraine will work in practice.

This is the first I have heard of this. I am somewhat concerned as to how this would happen. The USA is already pumping billions of dollars and untold weaponry into Ukraine; now countries are going to rebuild it for them as well?

Why does Ukraine need ports? Why not just air-drop them everything they could ever possibly need for perpetuity?

At some point, Ukraine has to man up and solve their own problems. I am not a fan of Ukraine becoming the world's infant, catered to at every whim. I know of no other time one country has allowed other countries to "adopt" a region over handling their own rebuilding efforts. What happens if Ukraine does not agree with the layout of the infrastructure Australia builds them? Can they just bomb it and ask someone else to rebuild it the way they want?

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join