It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed limiters coming to UK cars in 2022

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Exactly my point....in the UK speed cameras bring in 600,000 pounds PER DAY!

www.mirror.co.uk...

And, they are placed to bring in revenue as opposed to safety...

www.driving.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Surely no-one in a GPS speed limited car, should ever get a speeding ticket again.

If it got to court, all the plaintiff's lawyer would need to do is to say "It was a GPS speed limited car" and the case against the plaintiff would have to be dropped.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Well snap, this is some BS. All new cars from 2022 will have GPS guided speed limiters installed. I am a bit torn on this as I like to put the hammer down on the highway....errr....motorway.

Looks like its time to go shopping for that 65 Mustang convertible I've been wanting...

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I see your point but the gubment aint fessing up 600,000 a day in fines.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Hope you been saving!

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Jamie2018

What will be the speed limit required to have Zero road deaths by 2050?

Walking pace I'd imagine with a bloke walking in front of your vehicle waving a red flag ... back to the good old days.

My Tom-Tom already tells me the speed limit in any given area in real time, and not even near a 'new' system!
My simple guess is that it's but a current tech foray into future highway management.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Control freaks really do lack all common sense don't they...

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Jamie2018

What will be the speed limit required to have Zero road deaths by 2050?

Walking pace I'd imagine with a bloke walking in front of your vehicle waving a red flag ... back to the good old days.

My Tom-Tom already tells me the speed limit in any given area in real time, and not even near a 'new' system!
My simple guess is that it's but a current tech foray into future highway management.

Google maps does the same, however apple maps only tell you the speed limit, not what you're actually doing. I prefer Google maps,but hate using it 😒 Might have to look into Waze maps.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:29 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lots of studies about Millennials and Gen Z'ers not driving to back that up.

Thats going to be an enormous drop in revenue for Uncle Sam.

I'm a millennial who loves his Z...
This will be tied to your incoming social credit score.

"Oh, I'm sorry, we can't allow you to purchase petrol from our establishment, your data sheet says you did 20kmp/h over the limit"

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   
You'll be able to buy petrol, but your insurance premiums will skyrocket based on the points you accumulate and you'll lose your licence a whole faster if you've got a heavy foot.

So long as the algorithm has a certain amount of leeway to allow for the likes of overtaking, it wont be a major problem. A line of traffic stuck behind a truck doing 70kph in an 80kph zone for 30 mins because no-one can overtake fast enough to be safe would be completely bonkers (bad enough currently).

I'm just surprised that dash cameras have not been mandated yet (at least by insurance companies), but I guess they don't want people contesting tickets legitimately.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheResidentAlien
I'm just surprised that dash cameras have not been mandated yet (at least by insurance companies), but I guess they don't want people contesting tickets legitimately.

They are for my car service, he has them on both his cars otherwise he cannot get insurance.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
Hope you been saving!

Yeah, I know, I'll probably have to settle for a 75 Pinto...

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I personally think that these speed limiters will cause MORE death's.

People have to overtake safely as well as many other factors.

The only ones that SHOULD have these are white van man and teenage drivers - especially those that hang around supermarket car parks with gangs of kids in tow smoking pot.

But in reality I think this a bad idea.

It is partially driven I suspect by a misguided belief that this will cut vehicle emissions but in fact most emissions do not come from motorways but from city streets were people are up and down in there gears and at variable speeds.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Everyone will start getting tickets through the mail. Wont even need cops or cameras

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Engines burn more cleanly in a higher rev range and all those sleeping policemen and other obstructions to slow one down causes more fuel to be burned.

My pet peeve is trucks....errr lorries passing one another. It sometimes takes several miles to execute said pass, and in the meantime you got hundreds of cars behind burning extra fuel slowing down an speeding up.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Engines burn more cleanly in a higher rev range and all those sleeping policemen and other obstructions to slow one down causes more fuel to be burned. 

Ain't that the truth.

These "Insulate Britain" clowns are extremely ignorant about how energy actually works.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I liked Greenpeace, I agreed with a lot they were trying to achieve, they were not asking for people to be culled, they were not seeking to destroy people's livelihoods (with the exception of whale hunters) instead they were trying to draw the worlds attention onto environmental disasters, holding big oil accountable for pollution, forcing factors to treat there waste before emptying it into rivers and were more concerned with making it a better world for our children but they eventually went too far and became too radical.

But extinction rebellion and other radical 'lunatic' movements are verging upon becoming eco terrorists and worse they are a political tool being used by all sides today to push there own agenda's.

edit on 11-10-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join