It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed limiters coming to UK cars in 2022

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well snap, this is some BS. All new cars from 2022 will have GPS guided speed limiters installed. I am a bit torn on this as I like to put the hammer down on the highway....errr....motorway.

My opinion is this is just a step closer to you getting tickets in the mail for speeding without the need for cops. In other words its a stealth tax. I mean why not madatory breathalyzers, or cameras that detect if you are using a phone. Those cause far more deaths if thats what they are REALLY concerned with.

This is being kept very quiet, I only happened to see this article after someone told me about it.

www.regit.cars...

versustexas.com...

And an oldie, but a goodie about Siruius, OnSTAR, etc spying on you.

www.techdirt.com... ars.shtml

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

So an EU proposal being adopted by the UK , not happy about this in any way , shape or form.
The suckage of this government knows no bounds.

Bagged , tagged and tracked no matter what we do , think I'll go back to riding a motorcycle .... Freedom !!!!!

The time for revolution is drawing near.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I have been wondering how long it would be before tech would be introduced to auto limit speed as the zone changes, e.g. 40mph to a 20mph. I have to drive all day to do my job, I come across many accidents, and yeah speed is often a factor. Having said that, my van is limited to 60mph, which I feel in a 70mph road, can be dangerous as I often find myself creeping up on a lorry or van who is doing 55 and so end up taking an age to overtake and feel I have to get really close before pulling out in order to shorten the overtaking distance.

Also there are occasions where putting the foot down to get past or out of a situation quickly is necessary for safety, like when people are joining a trunk road from the slip road and there are several vehicles in a bunch so making it difficult for others to get on the trunk road.

So while I see the sense in auto limiting, I also see the danger plus I do not like the idea of vehicles being in control, that is my job as a driver, to read the road and conditions that are up ahead and act accordingly. I even hate the up arrow that tells me to change gear, coz I can see the steep hill I'm about to hit and so by the time I change gear I would have to change back down and by then would have lost momentum. Totally do not agree with auto everything in cars. I guess I'm an old school mechanical chick at heart.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   

They tried that in the USA several years ago with the big trucks. They abandoned it in a year or so because of all the traffic problems it caused. Trucks could not pass another truck. They could not build up speed to go up hills. They became a problem to others on the road because they were bunching up on the highways and could not spread out. The potential for multi vehicle accidents increased.

In cars, this will eliminate some possibilities of avoiding certain potential accidents.

Fortunitally they can undo this mess when they learn how bad an idea it is with a simple softwear upgrade, hopefully. This will also make used cars much more valuable.
edit on 10 10 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:45 AM
link   

It is hoped the use of speed limiters will help to reduce road accidents. The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) – which has been pushing for the mandatory speed limiters – has said the move will reduce collisions by 30%. The European Commission has said the speed limiters (along with other measures included in the legislation) could prevent 140,000 serious road traffic injuries by 2038. Overall, it hopes to cut road deaths to zero by 2050.

What will be the speed limit required to have Zero road deaths by 2050?

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie2018

Walking pace I'd imagine with a bloke walking in front of your vehicle waving a red flag ... back to the good old days.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

My guess is its an attempt to save on fuel....and thus emissions? However as you say, it causes traic jams and probabl causes more emissions.

Its just more control.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Walking pace I'd imagine with a bloke walking in front of your vehicle waving a red flag ... back to the good old days.

Formula 1 racing is going to be very boring in 2050. Pit stops will be very casual.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   
What a surprise..
Track and trace-but for cars.
(Engine)Behaviour modification-but for cars.

The governments answer to everything-more surveillance,more borg.

Treat everyone as though they are up to no good,and put them under 24/7 surveilance for life North Korea style.
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

I noticed they are proposing the same for women who feel unsafe walking the streets-a special government track and trace system on womens phones-because the way to treat potential victims of violent crime is?
You guessed it- is 24/7 surveilance-of the victims!
Again-for their safety.

The dystopian obsessions of the government is out of control.
I am old enough to remember a time when the only people who were under surveilance were convicted criminals in prisons.

Are we all in one big open air prison now?

When the mind reading technology is fully developed,in the next decade or so we will all be forced to submit to brain scans to see if we are "thinking wrong."

And they will tell us that is completley normal in a free country.
And most people will go along with it because they have been institutionalised by the borg.

All part of the same NWO/great reset future which ALL the governments of the developed world are pushing.

Sold as a "utopia"
But a wolf in sheeps cloths IMO.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

C'mon man. its for our own good!!!!

This must be an insurance company initiative as well.....so they can lower payouts....and charge more for premiums.

Its all about separating you from you money.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Speed limits will go up as automation is adopted, this is a step in that direction. As CthulhuMythos mentions though this has a strong potential to be dangerous too, I don't drive but I've been in a vehicle a few times when sudden bursts of acceleration were necessary.

For urban areas I'm for this kind of technology, speed bumps in the UK don't really work and do damage vehicles, 3 deaths in my youth were due to people speeding on urban roads, 2 of those were due to people trying to beat traffic lights.

It says the speed limiter can be turned off too, it could be removed fairly easy too I imagine... That's not exactly a new technique for mechanics either.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
You're way too late. Insurance companies have these put in car of drivers just past their tests. It records speed , where you are on the road so they can tell instantly if you're over the limit for that stretch of road. It also registers your braking for harsh braking, also the same for acceleration. This is ALL down to the insurance companies to be used as a get out clause because I can 100% guarantee nobody, and I mean nobody, drives perfectly all the time.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

You are talking voluntary installation so parents can save on insurance vs. factory installed data collectors that the gubment can exploit.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie2018

You most likely will have fully automated vehicles by then and the insurance premiums on cars you can drive will become very prohibitive making them pretty much unusable except for specific exceptions.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Gonna suck for country folk. I betcha they go to charging per mile for electrics once gas goes away.

edit on 10-10-2021 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Gonna suck for city folk. I betcha they go to charging per mile for electrics once gas goes away.

They probably will charge per mile but I also think car ownership in urban areas will drop as ride share automated cars take over.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lots of studies about Millennials and Gen Z'ers not driving to back that up.

Thats going to be an enormous drop in revenue for Uncle Sam.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

What is the death toll on the autobahn?

Yes, there are speed limits on many sections of Germany’s superhighways, but there are stretches with no speed limit. Yet the death rate per billion kilometers driven is lower on Germany’s autobahns (2.7 fatalities) than on the US Interstate highways (4.5 fatalities).

Is the autobahn dangerous?

The autobahn fatality rate of 1.6 deaths per billion travel-kilometres compared favorably with the 4.6 rate on urban streets and 6.5 rate on rural roads. In 2014, there was a total of 3,377 road fatalities, while autobahn deaths dropped to 375.

link

Speed limits don't serve a real purpose other than to make money. (On highways)
edit on 10102021 by Wide-Eyes because: To add disclaimer

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I don't see the point of the upper speed limit on motorways providing weather conditions are fine etc.

But its a different matter in our towns and cities.
Most of our road systems are congested and they weren't designed with current traffic numbers in mind.

I've seen a massive deterioration in driving standards since I first passed my test back in January '83.
There seems to be an obsession with driving fast at ALL times and of course the entitled attitude of many of our youngsters manifests itself in their driving as well.

To be honest I see no reason why speed limits shouldn't be governed in built up and urban areas.

I've seen the outcome of speeding in these types of areas on more than one occasion; its not nice at all.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Hence the disclaimer. When I say highways, I meant it as in Motorways, Freeways, Autobahn, Express Roads etc.

Urban areas are a completely different story. Nobody should be be speeding in a built up area.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join