It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Comes Hurricane Ida

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Justoneman

Winds are still at 150mph. I am not sure what information you are looking at.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

A new full update is due out at 11amEDT. The max winds are still going to be at 150mph but pressure might be up a couple of millabars.

I just saw that on the latest. I did hear them say it was lower when I was typing that.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Maye it was a video? that Happened to me earlier.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Live from Grand Isle, LA.

www.severestudios.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I just hope people got out while the getting was good, and I hope the mayor of NOLA is far more competent than the last time they went through this.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Landfall at 150mph, 11:55am CDT.

edit on 29-8-2021 by GravitySucks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bad news for the New Orleans area and they have yet to experience the worst of Ida.

mobile.twitter.com...

A lever has been over topped near Braithwaite!

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is one nasty storm....been watching the coverage. I was in Jackson MS when Katrina rolled through and this looks a lot worse to me.

posted on Aug, 29 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Our local news is reporting that power is out to all of NOLA now.

Catastrophic transmission damage

And it doesn't sound good when the mayor is saying that the hurricane intensified so quickly that there was no time to arrange for evacuation. What weather was she watching? All of the weather reports I saw were warning that Ida was going to rapidly intensify over the Gulf for the past couple of days at least.
edit on 29-8-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Been thinking about LSU & the rest of the LA-dwelling members.

I hope you folks are all OK down there, I saw some of the last footage from the coastal area, that was NOT calm winds, yikes.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 04:06 AM
link   
New Orleans is without power, but so far the levees are holding.

Unfortunately many of the non-federal levees outside of New Orleans have been breached with hundreds of people stranded on roofs.

Daybreak will help with rescue efforts.

Here are some twitter reports:

@spotternetwork — Spotr 2 miles NE of LAPLACE, LA @ 04:04 UTC Flood>-6-7ft of water over I-10 immediately west of I-55 interchange. HWY 51 and surrounding areas submerged. Numerous 18 Wheelers stranded, water up to middle of cabs

@spotternetwork — Spotr 2 miles WNW of LAPLACE, LA @ 04:34 UTC Flood>-2 houses on fire, roads and cars completely underwater. Water is halfway up many houses with residents seeking rescue on rooftops. A few of us on boats attempting rescues. Large trees

@SusanRoesgen — Lafitte Mayor Tim Kerner pleads for help with water rescues- says 200 people stranded, in “imminent danger”.. says Lafitte’s new levee overtopped- “total devastation”@WGNOtv #HurricaneIda

@ulmwxr — Our comms are down, we have barely any cell service, no phone lines, power is out everywhere, and people are clinging not their roof to survive and we can’t do anything about it. I feel so helpless and mad at the same time.

edit on 30-8-2021 by jrod because: Tag

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Our local meteorologist gave a verbal slap to southern politicians this morning. He flat-out said any politician claiming there wasn't enough information/time to organize an evacuation is only covering their @ss because the forecast was solid with a known track and no varying for days. Weather services nailed this one.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Any news yet of those 28 people stuck on Grand Isle?

Got to hear the sheriff yesterday making an emergency call saying they couldn't hold out much longer. I believe he was at the station with 14 people who took shelter.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Power to NOLA is going to be out for a while. The lines down are mains and they're in the Mississippi river right now. That will not be a quick, easy fix.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ketsuko

Power to NOLA is going to be out for a while. The lines down are mains and they're in the Mississippi river right now. That will not be a quick, easy fix.

I've been cruising various sites looking for info, the aftermath is looking pretty comparable to Katrina, sans the widespread levee failures & flooding. Still some failures & flooding, but it's not a complete fish tank this time at least.

So far, I've read that the Mississippi flowed northward (i.e in reverse) for a while thanks to the wind & surge (it's happened before, just is rare) Also read that 20+ barges anchored in the Mississippi broke free from their moorings and disappeared (my bet is some were flushed out the mouth & sunk in the Gulf)
A massive power transmission tower in the vicinity of the Mississippi (or was it Pontchartrain?) is crumpled up in it (triggered the cascading power loss, according to articles)

That's just off the top of my head & not considering the damage to buildings (or rather, what's left of them) Some of it's Finger of God level wiped clean.

Power's not going to come back on for weeks. Just looking around and remembering just Hurricane Charley's wrath down in FL, it's going to be a miserable few weeks.
edit on 8/30/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Did IDA turn out to be just another hurricane?

CNN stooge just said, "IDA was everything we told you it would be...and more!"

That tells me it was just another hurricane in the long history of hurricanes.

edit on 8/30/2021 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Are they okay? Can you get in touch with them?

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is what happens when one gets so disgusted with the news they refuse to watch it anymore...

This morning, it started raining. So I pulled up a radar map to see how long it would last. Forecast was for the next few days! OK, check the map... WHAT THE...! There's a hurricane in Jackson, Mississippi!

Forecast has the eye (or what's left of it) passing over us tomorrow afternoon. At the rate this thing is going, it could still be spinning by then! I have seen one tropical depression hold together enough to still be spinning when it crossed us in my life. This will be number two if it happens. That's a mean, mean storm.

I hope everyone made it through this thing with minimal damage.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I use accuweather, it's okay, but the future cast is always a few miles off. Every one I know in GP is fine, with only minimal damage, it should be fixed by the weekend. I just checked accuweather and Ida still looks pretty scary. Be safe everyone, these things get worse after hours.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks

Oh yes, they are fine; they are veterans of this type mess. Got out on Friday before the Storm hit. Thanks for asking.

posted on Aug, 30 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Glad to hear it.

Thank goodness the levees held this time.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join