It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida building collapse: Emergency response after incident in Surfside near Miami

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LanceCorvette

All things considered it was way less expensive to repair the structure than to build a new one...by like a factor of 10x or more. Don't forget, by demolishing and rebuilding you also have to factor in the costs of where you're going to put the 30,000 vehicles that you displace when you do all the work. Plus, this garage is a huge revenue generator, so the lost revenue also had to be factored in. With the plan which was approved the parking garage could stay open while sections were done in phases. This way only a couple thousand cars were displaced at a time in each phase, and they had the real estate to deal with those vehicles, but not 30k at once.

The BIG difference was, the corrective measures were undertaken very soon after the problems were discovered so the structure wasn't in any eminent danger at the time. Classic example of 'an ounce of prevention preventing a pound of cure.'

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Material Science is one of the least known things that there is.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:00 PM
link   
BUILT ON SAND.🙄

Have you tried standing on a sand beach as the waves wash over your feet?

You're supposed to reclaim areas like that with boulders at least the size of cars then you make it stable with giant hydraulic jackhammers.

That's when you pour reinforced concrete as bedrock foundation for your structure.

If you did that, they can't say it's built on sand.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I did not comment earlier as there was nothing I could say but it is a true tragedy, innocent people at home and there home just fell in on them, the figure we are being told over here in the UK of missing is now up to about 159 though that is likely to rise and the report said there is still tapping noises coming from some parts of the rubble, I hope they can get to those people soon and save them please God.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You're correct in the number missing, but the news here says only that they're going slow trying to hear any possible noises, not that there are any.

They say they do still have hope because in the past people have been able to survive so long as they have water and space in the rubble, and there have been persistent rain showers keeping a trickle of potential water going into the rubble.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Rescue in such conditions is also dangerous. Those are some pretty massive chunks of concrete. A wrong step can cause them to slip across each other and crush a rescuer. Not to mention, that same misstep could also cause the rubble to settle and crush any survivors buried in it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Meaning, these Low-Frequency Vibrations can be artificially created by man”??

Most residents were of South American origin. Could this crumbling of a building in the U.S., a warning to the presidents now and of impending elections, to not “”muck up” our agenda. I believe I read an article that George H Bush had bought up land above an aquifer in Colombia (on verge of Communism)

Just a conspiracy thought!!
reply to: JIMC5499

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UnRepentantHarlequin

I was starting to consider sonics then I heard these:

1) lawsuit regarding structural integrity.

2) major ongoing structural repair work hours before collapse

3) study conducted on building sinking at least an inch (annually?)

4) BUILT ON SAND

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I believe it was 2mm per year, about half an inch every 6 years
a reply to: reject

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
The owners don’t live in it, why would they care?

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:44 AM
link   
the mayor flat out said that this did not appear to be due to faulty construction

a reply to: Realtruth

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Ivanka lives next door

a reply to: Realtruth

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I was there on 9/11....Building 7 fell down many hours later and BBC reported that 20 minutes before it happened.....go look it up

a reply to: carewemust

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lukey7

Because it would be on them to make sure buildings are up to code.

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Truth..I wonder if it wasn't meant to be a message to Trump....As sick as that sounds, these people are capable of any and everything....It coincided w Giuliani losing his license and Mcafee being murdered....Just food for thought

a reply to: Sookiechacha

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Direct Energy Weapon the same that is being used on the White House...That is actually public info

a reply to: Sookiechacha

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   
There is no change in the numbers of the victims in the past day.

There are reports from the rescuers that there are several small fires smouldering in the rubble. This could be reducing the chances of survival due to carbon monoxide and other toxins within the smoke along with the fires consuming the limited oxygen in the confined spaces.

No more reports of banging being heard within the rubble, just what was reported within hours of the start of the rescue.

Not looking good at all.

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Material Science is one of the least known things that there is.

This is true.

I knew a guy once who got his PhD in "piles". At first I thought he meant "piling" like the engineered piles that are driven under a building foundation, but that wasn't it; his PhD was literally in the study of piles of different things and how the piles behave. Piles, as in a 'pile' of oranges, or piles of different rock types and sizes, or a pile of corn...piles of anything. There's a name for it, but I forgot what it was, 'pile-ology' or some such. Sounds mind-numbingly boring, but it was actually extremely fascinating to listen to this guy.

This area of study was also in the area of material science, and he too commented on how little is known. He illustrated this by talking about the characteristics of piles of different kinds of objects. Every pile of something has a mathematical relationship between the diameter of the base of the pile and the height of the pile. Every pile of objects has a side angle which is the exact same as the side angle of another pile of the same objects. Almost every object has a maximum height it will reach when placed in a pile, and this max. height can only increase if the sides of the pile are constrained (through friction or other means) (heh, and then it becomes a pile on top of another pile). Piles behave differently based on their moisture content. And, the behavior of a pile changes as the moisture content changes. There was all sorts of crazy stuff I never even thought of before about piles. It was really interesting.

ETA - This guy was making a ton of money in his profession too! It is apparently a field which is in high demand. The application of his research was important in the areas of agriculture where they want to know how big of an area is required to store 'x' tons of grain, or in the mining industry where they want to know how to plan for piling up mine tailings, or what the maximum density is of a pile of coal so they can figure out how many rail cars they will need to haul the coal, or beans, or just about anything really. And these examples are just easy ones, he was also involved in things like services to waste disposal streams like garbage. How big will a pile of garbage get before it begins to spread at the base, etc. Stuff I never even dreamed of. Who knew??
edit on 6/26/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lukey7

AH Yes the old conspiracy lie that the because the BBC "jumped the gun" and reported the building collapse prematurely must be some nefarious purpose in the collapse

BBC was using report from Reuters, which in term was quoting a local radio report that were anticipating WTC 7 would collapse

Case of things getting garbled as they pass from one source to another

At 3pm FDNY created collapse zone around WTC 7 because of the dangers of collapse - I know, I heard the orders
going out over the radio - my department was on standby in case were needed, also covering for neighboring city as they had sent entire day shift to New York

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just saw this.........
Engineer warned of 'major structural damage' years before Florida condo collapsed

A consultant warned there was evidence of “major structural damage” below the pool deck of a Miami Beach-area condo building nearly three years before it collapsed.

As officials continue to investigate what caused the deadly collapse at Champlain Towers South, officials in the Florida city’s Surfside suburb late Friday released a trove of documents related to the building, including the consultant's October 2018 report.

The findings from consultant engineer Frank Morabito also showed there was “abundant cracking” and crumbling in the underground parking garage of the 12-story building, which suddenly collapsed as residents slept in the early hours of Thursday morning.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join