It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida building collapse: Emergency response after incident in Surfside near Miami

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:03 AM
link   

A major search and rescue operation is on for survivors after a multi-storeyed residential building partially collapsed in Miami on Thursday

Florida building collapse: Emergency response after incident in Surfside near Miami

Breaking -- a 12 story building has collapsed in Miami (8777 Collins Avenue in Surfside). Potentially hundreds in the building at the time of collapse as it is a condo.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Photo here. Looks awful.

www.local10.com...

Cheers

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Reminds me of the damage to the buildings in that fairy tale castle estate.

Same type of shoddy construction.

Did the residents get any warning? We will have to wait for more information.

P

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Must have been the jet fuel.

In all seriousness, I think I can see 2 stranded people in that picture. Horrible.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Reminds me of the damage to the buildings in that fairy tale castle estate.

Same type of shoddy construction.

Did the residents get any warning? We will have to wait for more information.

P

Its Florida I'd put my money on sinkholes

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Live stream currently taking place here -

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 06:07 AM
link   
SAD NEWS.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The US is becoming a third world country and things like buildings collapsing, fires in crowded dance halls, bridges collapsing, and other infrastructure type problems will become more common place now. It's what has been pushed on the US for years and is bearing fruit under Biden. Pretty soon it will be rolling blackouts, utility shut offs (water and sewage), long lines for staple items and lots of riots. Viva la revolucion!
edit on 24-6-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 06:25 AM
link   
From the street view it looks like the service access/stairwell is the major portion of that.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Miami-area condo collapses

Santo Mejil, 50, told the Miami Herald his wife called him from the building, where she was working as an aide for an elderly woman.

“She said she heard a big explosion. It felt like an earthquake,” Mejil told the newspaper. He said she later called him and said rescuers were bringing her down.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Terrible news... absolutely terrible.

Looking at the location on the map, this building was on the Atlantic side of the narrow strip of land separating Biscayne Bay from the Atlantic. Probably a sinkhole. That area is beautiful (well, for Miami) but it is also not exactly the most stable land mass around. My first guess would be a sinkhole.

Land that unstable just simply cannot support unlimited construction.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I've flown to Miami once. From the sky you can see a multitude of sinkholes.
I would not build there.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Absolutely horrible. Those poor people sleeping in their homes, then this tragic event.

Here's a link to a live cam night-footage of the building collapsing. In my humble opinion, it sure does look like demolition, but a large sink-hole would create a demolition situation like this also.

See for yourself.

twitter.com...

edit on 24-6-2021 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Nvm

edit on 24-6-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Absolutely horrible. Those poor people sleeping in their homes, then this tragic event.

Here's a link to a live cam night-footage of the building collapsing. In my humble opinion, it sure does look like demolition, but a large sink-hole would create a demolition situation like this also.

See for yourself.

twitter.com...

That’s a crazy video.
From the pics I saw this morning, I didn’t realize that much had collapsed.
After seeing that video, the death toll has got to be at least in the dozens, probably more.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Are you sure that's the same building? Seems like that kind of collapse would have killed a lot of people, but the last death toll I saw was one dead.

It's easy to mistake something else for demolition. What you're seeing is a sudden lack of structural support. That's how demolition works, by removing support at critical points, but it is also how any widespread structural collapse happens. In other words, there's no real way to know what it was that caused the collapse from the video; only that there was a sudden removal of structural integrity.

That area is known for sinkholes, and the recent reports of "rising sea levels" actually indicate land subsidence. So slowly sinking land in an area with plenty of sinkholes and no reports of detonation (actually, "like an earthquake" is contrary to what would be felt in a demolition) lead me to believe it was a sinkhole.

We have a few in this area. Several years back an entire highway down the mountainside simply fell down into the valley for apparently no reason... sinkhole. There's one in the mountain behind my shop... big oval area that is dished out and gets a little deeper each year. I don't even go near the damn thing; it could collapse without warning at any moment or it could stay like that for the next 100 years.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I'm a little slow on the news uptake this morning, I heard about this from hubby reading through the news. He commented how similar the gaping hole resembled Oklahoma. I don't think he realized he was looking at a pancaked wing of a building and not a gaping hole explosion blown into one.

Knowing the topography of my home state there, it could be sinkholes. Y'all are thinking of the big-ass hole in the ground kind, but just remember, you have sinkholes in every state, even if you DON'T see evidence of holes. It's just a depression, hence a SINK, they can cave through or they don't. it's not just a big void in the ground that makes a SINK hole a sinkhole. Michigan here has plenty, but most folks don't realize they're looking at the same phenomena as FL while they scoff. The only reason it gets more attention in FL is because the limestone is much more porous and easier for acidic water to eat through and weaken over time. Kinda hard to do that on a FL-Man level consistent basis on hardier stuff like bedrock.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: Realtruth

See for yourself.

twitter.com...

That’s a crazy video.
From the pics I saw this morning, I didn’t realize that much had collapsed.
After seeing that video, the death toll has got to be at least in the dozens, probably more.

Yeah that was pretty bad after seeing it happen. We always stay in a condo when we vacation down at Panama City Beach but I'm a little iffy about it now, especially since I'd have my 4 year old son with me.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

That footage is from a surveillance cam across the way from the said building. What concerns me is all those flashes as it's coming down.

Not so sure it's electrical shorts, but something else. Most home-runs, or main electrical lines when they are severed will only flash at the main point of supply, not all over the building.

Something to consider though.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Good points!

All a sinkhole really is, is an enclosed void beneath the ground, usually from water wearing away the limestone as you say. The big hole that I think most people correlate with a sinkhole is just the aftermath... most (but not all) simply form a depression at first, then collapse if they get bad enough or someone puts too much weight on them.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join