It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida building collapse: Emergency response after incident in Surfside near Miami

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you.

Geezus, that's NOT good! Building doesn't look like a vacation condo either, more like a plain residential building. 0130 on a Thursday morning would likely mean the majority who lived there were likely inside the building when it collapsed.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Damn, that's a lot more building that fell than I originally thought.

Live:
www.nbcmiami.com...

Hope they find more survivors.

😔
edit on 24-6-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

seems to me that a building this size would have steel framing. wonder where that went? so its all in a hole? looks pretty dusted to me.

No, many/most buildings in FL are built out of concrete, both pre-cast and poured in place, not steel. It's cheaper and more resistant to corrosion from the salt.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Nothing personal against you. I just can't believe it. Wow! Some people (not you) just can't let go.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Low frequency vibrations are greatly underestimated in the effect that they can have.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   
thank you for that, i didnt know. so, about that concrete, where do you think that went?

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

That is correct. And, these effects are amplified in a 'plasticized' environment because shockwaves travel through fluid or slurry much more effectively than through dry ground. There's nothing to dampen the shockwaves.

Same reason why SONAR works so well, but you already knew that!

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

Straight down, into a pile of compacted rubble on the ground.

Concrete has an impressive amount of compressive strength, but not a lot of shear strength. This is why concrete has reinforcing steel (rebar) in it. Even then, it still has less shear strength than compressive strength. So, when a rotating 'moment' is introduced to the concrete and a significant lateral force is applied (such as a falling building which is trying to collapse) the vertical structural members basically explode and turn into dust and chunks of concrete.[
edit on 6/24/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge
At latest count - 3 confirmed, 99 unaccounted for

Doesnt mean all the unaccounted are dead, but looks like casualty count will be in dozens

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

I'm glad you have such an optimistic posture.

Did you watch the video of the collapse?

I'm not sure how anyone could have survived that if they were inside. That building came straight down! There was no warning, just pancaked on itself.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

130 Am means most people who lived there would be home and asleep .........

going to be long grim process as debris is combed for victims and possible survivors

Think WTC after 911

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Unaccounted means that their whereabouts are not know Some may have been away , others could have gotten out and
locations are not known

Can assume from time (130AM) that most people would be home and asleep - which doesnt bode well

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Understood, hence my similar comment at the top of the page.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Had a similar situation number of years ago - part of supermarket roof collapse during ice storm

Workers reported seeing several people in section which collapsed We had to wait for crane to lift pieces of collapsed section for us to search

Fortunately nobody was there as had left the area minute before roof came down But until then had to assume that there were people in the rubble.....

Just few years ago had roof of department store collapse during another winter storm - as this happened at 11pm store was empty, but still had to assume someone (security, cleaning people) might still be there

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

im having a hard time with this one. so..a totally concrete building, falls into a hole, and pulverises itself? i have to wonder why anyone builds out of concrete..maybe we should look for something else?

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Fox news is reporting that the rescuers are hearing banging from within the rubble. There is still hope for some alive in the colappse.

Also a local university reported that building has been setteling 2mm per year beginning in the 80's. Many tennants have an ongoing law suit against the building owner and builder for many cracks forming in the structure.

edit on 6 24 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've been hearing and reading that this building has been sinking since the 1990's.

www.newser.com...*1/51-unaccounted-for-after-florida-condo-collapse.html

With the construction on a building close by and just everyday vibrations, maybe shifted building material.

Also I heard that people living there had complained about cracks and something about the pool leaking.

Sounds like this was something someone was expecting to happen.

^^^^^^ Yes I just noticed Beyondknowledge posted the same information I have been hearing.
edit on 24-6-2021 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I was thinking some of those lights just before the collapse may have been people with their flashlights out wondering why the power went off. Very sad if so because we basically watched them go down with the building.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
The US is becoming a third world country and things like buildings collapsing, fires in crowded dance halls, bridges collapsing, and other infrastructure type problems will become more common place now. It's what has been pushed on the US for years and is bearing fruit under Biden. Pretty soon it will be rolling blackouts, utility shut offs (water and sewage), long lines for staple items and lots of riots. Viva la revolucion!

Stability, well built infrastructure, and functioning municipal services are all just racist, fascist dog whistles... /s

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Still live:
www.nbcmiami.com...

Some people are accounted for.

The land and it's surrounding area are in a subsidence zone. And though the ground is sinking "X" amount per year, the rubble is NOT in a hole and is a mound roughly 2 and 1/2 stories high.
edit on 24-6-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join