It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood's ability to rewrite history.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ever since people have given up book reading for opinion articles, non neutral news, television and movies. Hollywood has successfully rewritten several events of history.

I am hoping to open this to a general book chat of historic rewrites because the real ending wasn't good enough for Hollywood.

This post was created with an example in mind used in another forum. A movie called agora,. Hypatia was a young female "student of life" living in Athens. When women were granted freedom until they were married and had to then pledge themselves to their husband.

The movie itself was a Christian rewrite, which includes the burning of a great library during the time Christianity rose to power, with betayal of the Jews.

Movie wise they did a very good depiction, of said events keeping fairly close to facts. That is, until Agora gets mixed up in the christian bs for being to smart and outspoken for a woman(when they seeked to surpress women from having a voice completely).

In which she as a free woman and philosopher, winds up in the crossfire's of the christian cult. Because she was able to prove the earth wasn't flat thousands of years prior to global acceptance. Which immediately shamed the christian teaching, by stating the reverse.

The movie does a pretty good job overall, keeping up with facts.. that is until she and her slave develope a love affair and she gives up her freedom, despite her parents trying to encourage her to marry forever.

In the end she gets tortured into submission, and things go happily ever after. Easily redeeming the christian faith against philosophers by those who see the movie. (See they fell in love happy time).

When in reality she was dragged to the beach and skinned alive, with clam shells by the christian occult. But that would of pissed the world off, so this "true story based on real events" movie got twisted for the protection of the christian narritive.

So what other movies have you encountered that nailed details but changed to suit a narrative?

Hypatia; inventions and more
edit on 10-6-2021 by BlackArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Quinton Tarantino has done some very entertaining rewrites.
'Inglorious Bastards' and 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' are master pieces.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackArrow

Your first line speaks volumes.

Pun not intended.

Man, I'm almost certain EVERY movie from Follywood claimed to be based on a true story or actual events has embellishments.

One that comes to mind is Cinderella Man. Max Baer was portrayed as something he was not. It's crap like this that makes me despise Follywood.

Ironically enough, the works of fiction from Follywood seem to be more true to life than "based on a true story" films.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I looked all over for this "christian occult" you speak of and I couldn't find it.

From what I understand she was killed by the, the parabalani, a volunteer militia of monks
serving as henchmen to the archbishop.

It has been recorded they attacked Christians and Pagans alike.
It's what I read any how.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
U571. Braveheart (the film) is now taken as fact by many Scots, which is (ahem) a laugh. The Patriot is another joke film which pandered to the lowest common denominator of historical accurcy.

Need I go on?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: abigredneck
Christian occult was literally the rise of Christianity. It started as a cult, aka the christians themselves, also no. She was killed by the second bishop of Christianity. (Deemed by the transfer of the infamous pope ring- this is before the many branches of Christianity was created.).

Because the first head was killed(framed?)by the Jews during the uprising betrayal of the Jewish people at the time.

It's where the term originated. "You think the Jewish don't know their own book?". Which has been their argument for centuries as to why they dont accept "Jesus" who was the average market place prophet which was a normal profession during those times.

P.s the group you refer to were early christians(*attendants of the bishop) directed by the bishop.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Parabolani (from παραβολᾶνοι or παράβολοι)[1] were the members of a brotherhood who in early Christianity voluntarily undertook the care of the sick and the burial of the dead knowing they could die.

Generally drawn from the lower strata of society, they also functioned as attendants to local bishops and were sometimes used by them as bodyguards and in violent clashes with their opponents.

They took these jobs to be saved as early christians believers.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
I might need to watch that one again. I didn't know they made their people believe it as fact.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

But has he done historical rewrites? Like the Red Baron, which the rewrite has an impossible motive as there was no such angle available at the time the guy was shot. Many nations have took pride in claiming his death, but still remains a mystery.

Would be interesting to see a rewrite from his perspective.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Not exactly on topic, but I vividly remember an episode from the animated series "Back to the future" where Docs children (Jules and Verne) somehow prevent the American civil war from happening.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

"It's where the term originated. "You think the Jewish don't know their own book?". Which has been their argument for centuries as to why they dont accept "Jesus" who was the average market place prophet which was a normal profession during those times."

The fact He started teaching while still a child and miracles He performed aside, right?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Some of the worst, culturally corrupting degenerates and sleazeballs on the planet are in Hollywood, on the devil's payroll. The question is, what, you were looking for some foundation of truth, in the first place, from Hollywood? They're just pretend people, money grubbing, sleazy people, like an overpaid circus, playing to the crowd. For most of history, actors, et al, were properly known to be scumbags, as they have always wallowed in the mire of moral degeneracy. It's a modern machination, this notion anybody in Hollywood is to be "celebrated". A silk hat on a pig is still a pig, you know, grapes not gathered from thorn bushes. You should be surprised, should you happen on truth, from the likes of Hollywood. Would suggest a library, and, anymore, old history books, if you're looking for history.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Going to Hollywood for historical accuracy is like going to Washington DC looking for honesty.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM
If you follow the book, he goes from age 5 to his thirties. So what miracles did he perform? Considering there's nothing written, because it was all removed due to the fact he committed a lot of heinous crimes, that offered nothing miraculous to account for his behavior.

Even his death was that traditionally held by Rome to those who stole horses. Which he actually bragged about telling his disciples to go to a guy take his horse. If anyone questions, clearly stated "god needs it". Was the actual reason for his crucifixion.

You claimed he started teaching as a "child" but maybe you should look into all of the stolen claims from religions older then Christianity. Because that just sounds like the dalai lama.

search Christianity the stolen religion

He had plenty of unrecorded years where he travelled the world picking up neat little tricks from other cultures. Being well travelled was rare back in those times.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I imagine about as many Scots believe "Braveheart" to be verbatim as do English who identify with there world resembling "This Is England".

Personally i quite liked "The Patriot".

edit on 10-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Going to Hollywood for historical accuracy is like going to Washington DC looking for honesty.

Wait a second, you telling me the documentary I saw about the guy from Die Hard blowing up an asteroid and saving the earth isn't accurate?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Gonna be a bunch of cross worshipers getting all pissy at you for calling out their cult and trashing their ghost stories.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   

There must be some sort of prize for such a comment. Sad fact is, you know nothing, actually, less than nothing. If you knew that you know less than nothing, you would, at least, know something, but, alas, that's not the case.

"Sold my soul for an ice cream cone but then the ice cream fell off the cone."

And perhaps you were overpaid, at that?

edit on 10-6-2021 by Scrutinizing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Yeah, like the guy just below you. But see, I won't get offended because I actually enjoy learning. Forever seeking truth, being stagnant by a religion who has come forth and said they need to "modernize" and rewrite the bible to be more relatable... just bores me..

Adding to the fact that the first couple of pages literally say the book is fiction. Doesn't matter the make. Anyone with a Bible can look for themselves.

So the claim remains true, that even the most funded christians don't even read their own books cover pages.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I watch movies to be entertained. I know the stories are not real . One of the elements of this kind of entertainment is suspension of disbelief.

Think about it - would zombies last very long with insects around? Do they freeze in cold weather?

Can you really have a 5 minute fist fight without killing someone, or breaking your hand?

How many rounds does that M-16 hold?

How do aliens fly halfway across the galaxy and still get their butts kicked by humans?

SO chill. You are right, pick up a book or take a class from a accredited school. Otherwise eat scooby snacks and solve crimes.

edit on 10-6-2021 by Havamal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Havamal
Wasn't the point, the point was rewriting history not sci-fi.

Leaving an entire generation(not ness you). Brainwashed into thinking everything on tv is real. Because it claims "loosely based on facts".

After all look up the issue with video games making people violent. Because the average world IQ has dropped 25 points in the last 10years.

Then you got the entire brown cow commericals for chocolate milk and 85% of the population actually believing it.

So yes, the power of Hollywood is a real thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join