It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new level of stupid Fonts are now Racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

Is that Ace Frehly from KISS on his arm? LOL!

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: NightVision

Is that Ace Frehly from KISS on his arm? LOL!

How awesome would it be if it was!

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: NightVision
Hitler, a failed painter, essentially became art director for the 3rd Reiche. He was very specific about the art direction, font usage, and design of the Nazi's, up to and including a design guide for all placement of Logos and propaganda. Can a font be racist? Perhaps. Just perhaps.

Hitler's Design Guide

People can be racist .
Fonts , not at all .

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Folks can be ignorant . Fonts cannot.

Technically you are correct. Fonts can, however, be appropriated the same way Flags/Symbols can be appropriated (ex. Rebel Flag, Swastika). The use of those symbols depending on the time /public perception of them can call into question the user's motive, even if no harm was intended.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hitler, a failed painter, essentially became art director for the 3rd Reiche. He was very specific about the art direction, font usage, and design of the Nazi's, up to and including a design guide for all placement of Logos and propaganda. Can a font be racist? Perhaps. Just perhaps.

Hitler's Design Guide

People can be racist .
Fonts , not at all .

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Folks can be ignorant . Fonts cannot.

Technically you are correct. Fonts can, however, be appropriated the same way Flags/Symbols can be appropriated (ex. Rebel Flag, Swastika). The use of those symbols depending on the time /public perception of them can call into question the user's motive, even if no harm was intended.

No.
No matter what wild logic one uses , fonts cannot be racist.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   

No.

I'm agreeing with you. I'm talking about cancel-culture/mass-media perception. Not my own.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Swiss is a style of Sans Serif and the Swiss are rather homogenous in the melanin content...

But your Roman, Gothic, etc show those “tails” loud and proud...maybe it isn’t race so much as a display of gender?

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I thought Right wingers didn't like being called Nazi's. Because this thread is very pro Nazi. The article specifically only talks about Fraktur font which was the font used by Nazi's.

Are Nazi's not racist anymore???

For example, Fraktur is an old style of blackletter font used on Hitler’s "Mein Kampf" and early Nazi letterheads. Because of this, Hyndman said this typeface can often be associated with racism or bigotry.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 03:33 AM
link   

No.

I'm agreeing with you. I'm talking about cancel-culture/mass-media perception. Not my own.

Yeah. It is terrible.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Fonts are a tool.

Just as hammers, or sickles, are tools.

They just sit there, of themselves they're utterly neutral. It's the people using them that are, or are not, racist/bigoted.

Please do attempt, notice the word "attempt" to explain how a tool is racist. I'm betting you can't.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I suppose prison tats are done in a Gothic font because they are kind of reminiscent of Nazi Germany. There's some association there. But fonts are like that. They carry associations. And if you're in prison and want to look like a badass, then Gothic is the way to go. Probably not the best idea to get your threats or declarations of hate done in Comic Sans.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Fonts are a tool.

Just as hammers, or sickles, are tools.

They just sit there, of themselves they're utterly neutral. It's the people using them that are, or are not, racist/bigoted.

Please do attempt, notice the word "attempt" to explain how a tool is racist. I'm betting you can't.

Go on in more detail how fonts are a tool. Explain in detail, like we're in art school.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ok, I got a new one... Rope is racist because hangings

We already know you cant get raw cotton because of racism.

How about farms in general?

Not only are words violence but also the way you see the letters?

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Why type when you can link

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Ok, I got a new one... Rope is racist because hangings

We already know you cant get raw cotton because of racism.

How about farms in general?

Not only are words violence but also the way you see the letters?

That's a terrible example. A noose is racist, which correlates to this thread (no pun intended) perfectly because a rope would be the ink, a noose is how you tie it just like a font is how you write it.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Why type when you can link

That wasn't your job to do that and you didn't do what I asked anyhow. Being super vague doesn't make you smart.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Unless its a draw string for a garage door, right?

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   

A noose is not racist

Pirates were hanged
Witches were hanged

In fact, ALL criminals were hanged at one point

Hanging and lynchings are NOT related to racism or slavery or discrimination in any way, shape or form

A noose is not racist, not by ANYONES definition

Using the same font as Adolf Hitler did is not racism.

Even using the same font as the racist in the Whitehouse right now is not racism. Just because Joe Biden (close dear friend of the KKK and pro-segregationist) is a racist, it doesn’t mean you can’t use the same style of writing as he does.
edit on 14 5 2021 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Being rude about it doesn’t endear you to people either, just saying.

And selecting a font to convey a subtle message is very much a basis of graphic design. And while slightly more advanced than rolling PlayDoh or eating crayons, is very much “Art Class”

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Says you buddy! It's what the vast majority of people think. Do you want to live in a society where one person decides everything? Who is going around waiving nooses around anyway? You do know black people have been kidnapped and hung from trees in the past year in the USA?

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Unless its a draw string for a garage door, right?

I'm sorry I thought someone said rope is racist and not string? Why would you spend the time tying a string into a noose for your garage door in the first place?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join