It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eye Roll Central: Being called a racist.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So the racism overload is really blowing up here in Canada. It's a big talking point.

We DO have systemic racism here. And just plain old day to day racism. Anyone denying this is blind.

But lately EVERYTHING is racist and I think everyone is over it and it's hurting the real cause.

So here's my experience of being called a racist today. Laugh along with me.

I have vitiligo. My whole family has tons of random auto immune issues. Type 1 diabetes, celiac, thyroid issues, hives, etc.

I was diagnosed after noticing a patch of white skin on my hand and wrist, and some patches of white hair. It isn't really a big deal. Today I saw a relative who I haven't seen for months and she asked if I had burnt my hand. I told her, no, it's vitiligo. And she said... no...it isn't. *Face Palm*

I can't stand people as it is so I dropped it, but she told me it was, "wrong to appropriate something that people of colour are ridiculed for and claim that you suffer from it even though you're white and can't develop it because you're all ready white".

Oh.my.f@#$ing.god.

Vitiligo doesn't turn you into a "white" person. It happens when the melanocytes in your skin die, and can happen to literally anyone who has any level of melanin in their skin.

So why are you all racists today?

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I got called racist because I asked a Japanese guy I work with if he could tell me what my shirt said lol.
He and I are friends, but this twat down the hall that's new here (she aint gonna last here. Its a mining camp. No filters on 95% of us)
Gasped when I asked him what does this say?
My wife treats me like a child and bought me a dragon ball z shirt for my birthday lol.
It has some Japanese writing along the border.
And yes, I'm wearing it.

Such a beautiful language those Japanese.
The way he described Goku as being a hero, almost brought a tear to my eye.

edit on 14-7-2020 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Honestly, what's worse? Getting called a racist by this weirdo, or the wrath of your wife if you didn't wear the t shirt?

Did he know what it said though?

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I don’t deal with racism regularly. However, there was one instance that happened 4 years ago, that pops out in my mind.

I was at Barrett Jackson with my father. We were trying to find the bathrooms. My father spots a couple people on a golf cart wearing neck hanging badges. My father assumed they were employee badges (Me personally, I knew they were not). They were VIP access passes for the show.

So my father asks them “do you guys work here? We are trying to find the bathrooms”.

The people on the cart happened to be black. They presumed to look at each other with incredible disgust. Then look back at my Dad, and with an incredibly condescending tone replied “No, we are collectors”. Then zoomed off in the golf cart.

In defense of the black people, my father wasn’t being very observant.

In defense of my father, he did not ask them if they worked there simply because they were black. He spotted the first badges he saw, and approached to ask about the bathrooms.

The situation left me with 100% transparency, that the black couple was already on the defense. They presumed my father was racist, just because he was white and asked them if they worked there. While they smirked at the fact that they were multi millionaire car collectors.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

This also reeks of rich people being offended that they'd be confused for employees who would know where a bathroom is. Ugh.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: KKLOCO

This also reeks of rich people being offended that they'd be confused for employees who would know where a bathroom is. Ugh.

Definitely rich, affluent and entitled.

It was like I could read there minds of what they were thinking:

“Stupid white man thinks we work here just because we are black. I’ll show him! I’m a wealthy car collector you racist pig. He ain’t got no VIP pass around his neck”.

Of coarse, they never used the word racist. But it was painfully obvious.

BTW, here’s a cute little phrase I learned a while back : ‘I’m not racist — I hate everyone, equally’. 😜

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Not "racism" per se... but a couple weeks ago I was accused of "cultural appropriation" by a young woman (White) because I recommended she use Palmer's Shea Butter lotion for her pregnant belly... apparently because the shea bean is indigenous to Africa, it is a Black thing. Funny that I wasn't carded for my Black membership card when I purchased it...

Whatever... All I know is I never got stretch marks from pregnancy. And it smells wonderful. So woohoo for the African Shea Bean!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yeah, that's why I said they have a beautiful language.

The shirt has Goku turned Super Saiyan facing off against Frieza on Namek.
it says:
"You can destroy entire planets, but it seems you can't destroy a single man"

Then on the side:
'I am the legendary hero, awakened by intense anger"

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was almost accused of racism in my neighborhood.

I saw a black man talking to another black man. I saw a man who looked like him at the pool earlier with his two little boys.

I called out across the street when I was walking and said, were you the man at the pool with the 2 little boys today?

He got defensive and said no, his friend got defensive too. I could see it on their faces, they were getting angry.

Then I said "Oh sorry, I was just going to compliment you on what a wonderful father you are with those boys." ( The man I mistook him for was, I am a parenting expert and he was textbook fabulous the entire time I saw him and his children at the pool. I love to compliment parents when they are doing a great job as they hear it so seldom from strangers.)

Both men looked shocked, then they burst into laughter, then man I misidentified said "I was going to say something not very nice, but instead I'll just say no that wasn't me."

I think they thought I was going to be a racist jerk about his boys.

edit on 7/14/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Not "racism" per se... but a couple weeks ago I was accused of "cultural appropriation" by a young woman (White) because I recommended she use Palmer's Shea Butter lotion for her pregnant belly... apparently because the shea bean is indigenous to Africa, it is a Black thing. Funny that I wasn't carded for my Black membership card when I purchased it...

Whatever... All I know is I never got stretch marks from pregnancy. And it smells wonderful. So woohoo for the African Shea Bean!!!

Omg. I culturally apropriated this trick too! It worked great.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

LOL! A fellow stretch-mark-free culture appropriator!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I was diagnosed after noticing a patch of white skin on my hand and wrist, and some patches of white hair. It isn't really a big deal. Today I saw a relative who I haven't seen for months and she asked if I had burnt my hand. I told her, no, it's vitiligo. And she said... no...it isn't. *Face Palm*

I can't stand people as it is so I dropped it, but she told me it was, "wrong to appropriate something that people of colour are ridiculed for and claim that you suffer from it even though you're white and can't develop it because you're all ready white".

Oh.my.f@#$ing.god.

Vitiligo doesn't turn you into a "white" person. It happens when the melanocytes in your skin die, and can happen to literally anyone who has any level of melanin in their skin.

That is one DUMB relative. You sure they're not American?

I have vitiligo,too. It presents itself on me as white "freckle" like spots, mostly on my arms and chest. It stands out big-time when I have a deep tan, you can't miss The Vit there.

There's so many degrees of vitiligo, your...relative...would be amazed at how minor or hugely attention-attracting it can really be.
edit on 7/14/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I got kicked out of a 1000+ strong local facebook page dedicated to building "community" because I said that I didn't think having dreadlocks was racist. I am white and have curly hair which has dreaded naturally since I was a child, much to my mother's dismay. I have severe adhd and am not great at "maintenance" so just letting it dread was ideal and I figure my white cave ancestors probably had dreads also... anyhow I got booted. I even mentioned that my black nephews and inlaws never judge me for it. It should be people first, not colour. Was my second offense though.... someone had asked if buying a dreamcatcher for a white baby's gift was inappropriate and I said I didn't think so after all supporting native crafts supports native community. But no. That was wrong too. Feeling deeply confused, I even consulted my friend who calls herself a "windian"... native blood, adopted by a white family and she sided with my point and felt they were morons. So despite the fact I have real life people of colour saying otherwise... case closed. I'm apparently racist.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Since we can't call blacks racist, next time you're getting a hard time ask why they're prejudiced against you. The simple change in vocabulary causes an instant meltdown.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

In Israel; they are calling planting trees racist because the Israelies are planting trees in Palestinian areas.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Man, I slathered that stuff on while I was knocked up with both kids.

I still got the roadmap to the US -- I mean, stretch marks despite not even being overweight at the time OR gaining much weight (that was something that made my mother see red, everyone thought she was having twins or triplets with my younger brother because she ballooned so fast)

I had something called "Mederma" recommended, but it was insanely expensive and I balked. I have no idea if it works or not.

I think the stretch marks have a lot more to do with the skin's elasticity than lotions and weight gains & losses. If it stretches easily, it won't mark up, but if it doesn't, Crackle Effect City for some of us.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Man, I slathered that stuff on while I was knocked up with both kids.

I still got the roadmap to the US -- I mean, stretch marks despite not even being overweight at the time OR gaining much weight..

Oh no! That's a real bummer... I won't brag anymore then...

But it still smelled awesome, right?

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

The hair thing is insane. While it's 100% true that people of colour with kinky curly hair, afros, locs, really any hairstyle that would be natural for their hair type have been, and are still discriminated against purely because people, white AND black, think their hair is "unprofessional" for some reason... your curly hair matting itself into dreadlocks isn't inherently racist. I hate this debate.

Especially the braid debate. Braids have been used by every culture to protect and keep hair out of the way.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

In Israel; they are calling planting trees racist because the Israelies are planting trees in Palestinian areas.

Yikes. That's a whole other can of worms.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Let me see if I'm following. You're so white and racist that the white fell off of you from guilt?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join