It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rayshard Brooks charging decision today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: butcherguy
IIRC, Brooks had not been frisked before he resisted arrest, stole the taser and ran away.
When he turned with something in his hand, the cops couldn't be certain that it wasn't a gun that he had on his person from the beginning.
Something to think about.

But he did shoot the taser and it lite up so I'm sure they knew it was the taser.

My point is that he could have been armed with a firearm at that point.
If I was involved (I am not a cop, and don't want to be one) and he turned back towards me and raised his hand as if holding a weapon... I would have shot at him.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: HalWesten

maybe...but being irrascible, ornery, and resisting arrest is no reason to kill someone. If that taser were close enough to actually hit him, i'd support potentially accepting a self defense type deal. But to shoot someone in the back is cowardly no matter what your reasoning.

No question. I hadn't gotten that far in the video before a work meeting came up.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

In the video, you CLEARLY see that Brooks is turning around and firing that tazer, the cop shoots him and we at the point do not know what angle he was shot. Was he shot squarely in the back, or was he shot when he was turned to shoot the tazer at the cop, meaning, was it at such an angle that he was shot in the back, but, still turned to face the cop?
So, technically he may have been shot in the back, but at an angle that may prove his innocence.

I watched that video many times yesterday, it was as clear as can be that a very quick decision needed to be made with someone in front of you in the dark of night with your weapon.
What can you do as a cop in that situation? Sure, you can hope that he turns himself in and apologizes for his actions, but we know that ain't going to happen.

edit on 17-6-2020 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Easy answer... Clearly the police were being nicer than they had to be until he fought them and stole a taser and then shot at them with the taser. Anybody with a half a brain would have shot the dumbass.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

from watching the full video he was frisked had no weapons just cash and i think his cell phone

www.cbsnews.com... on going live stream they are talking about the distance the taser was away when the fired (18 feet) and it seems like the DA is trying to throw the cop under the bus

apparently the cop said i got him and the da is using this as evidence against the officer ,live stream just glitched
edit on 17-6-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

per live stream the other officer(brosnen) has turned states evidence against rough but hes not psychologically willing to give that statement today

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
At the 8:09 point he does turn around and fires the taser. The thing people aren't thinking about regarding a flash is you don't know whether that's a taser or a handgun creating the flash. After seeing the video, it doesn't matter that he was shot in the back because he was firing the taser over his shoulder while running away. That is intent, not retreat.

When things happen that fast there's no time to consider whether the object being pointed at you is a gun or something else. I'm sure many of you have been through carry training, when I did I was surprised at how fast things happen. It's not like watching it on tv.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

If I was involved (I am not a cop, and don't want to be one) and he turned back towards me and raised his hand as if holding a weapon... I would have shot at him.

Ya maybe but he shot the taser before they shot him, so at that point they knew it wasn't a gun. Its not like he turned and pointed something and then they shot him...They also talked to him 20 minutes before they decided to arrest him, so who knows.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41

originally posted by: HalWesten
When will it be understood that you don't attack a cop that's trying to detain you for whatever legit reason? They don't know what's going on until they do some initial investigating, what's the problem with being an adult, acting calmly and obeying legal orders? I just don't understand why people do that. I didn't watch the video so I can't give an opinion on the shooting. But doggone it, a lot of people that aren't, have to start being responsible for their actions or it's going to get much worse. I've been pulled over several times, mostly in my teens and twenties and I had zero problems with the cops because I was polite and did what they asked. I also wasn't driving drunk or high, or just robbed a store or something idiotic like that.

I have no sympathy for criminals when they refuse to obey legal orders. None.

Me either.

I don't know how much of it is from horrible fear-mongering and how much of it is from flat-out stupidity.

When you have ignorant dumbsharts on CNN telling blacks that they have to fight or die when confronted by police, this is the kind of stuff that happens. The bitch who said that should be arrested and given 10 years for every death that happens when a black dude fights the police and wins the Darwin Award for it.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
11 charges against the officer that shot brooks they are listing them now aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, i dont see this one sticking

charged with shooting of mr brooks aggravated assault x2

3rd aggravated assault shooting twords mr evans ? some random guy in a car the officer discharged his weapon twords (white suv) that apparently took a round in the incident

so 3x aggravated assault charges

count 4 is again aggravated assault agains another pedestrian, and ount 5 is again the same criminal dammage for hitting dudes car

7 violations of office ,shooting a taser at a fleeing suspect, not informing him he was under arrest( i thought iheard him tell him) and failure to read timely aid and apparently kicking the suspect? he seemed to miss count the charges as he went from like 5 to 8

brosen is getting 3 charges standing/stepping on mr brooks shoulder? they show a photo of him standing on the body which has been admited by brosnen he thought he was on his arm? charged with 2 violations of oath of office related to policy one for stepping and one for timely aid not being given

they seem to be waaaaaaay over charging on this but they are about to bring out a photo of him "kicking brooks"

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you slow the video down and watch when Brooks turns his body to fire the taser, then it looks like the cop that was behind him ducks, probably to avoid being hit, then it looks like Brooks goes down to the ground before that cop reaches for his handgun. Am I missing something there?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
brosnen is geting 50k bail cuz hes turning states witness so hes getting a sweat heart deal , rough is getting no bail/bond and now the lawyer for the pedestrians in the case may be speaking soon...... so do people think these charges are gonna stick?

the lawye is now saying at any time brooks was NEVER a threat to any one despite video evidence of them literally scuffling i can see alot of cops getting pissed at this and not exactly wanting to be doing this job again

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I just don't understand why people do that.

Easy to understand, fight or flight, sometimes both.
People freak out sometimes and I personally don't think shooting them is the answer.
Should people follow orders, of course, should they DIE if they don't....

We had this conversation years ago and voila, a taser came into play.
Somehow that hasn't worked out too well. Maybe there is a new weapon in the works they haven't
released yet. Something like spider man webbing, or something that freezes you without tasing etc.
Maybe drones will shoot tranquilizers in the future.

Here's the problem... When a cop uses his pistol, people scream that tasers should have been used. When a taser is used, people scream that use of force should have been used. When use of force is the option used, people scream police brutality. It's never a winning situation for our law enforcement officers. This isn't directed at you, BTW.

Clearly a bullet was the only way to stop this guy as he was armed and dangerous and posed a threat to all bystanders.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Pointless trying to explain timeframe and reaction time to the Keyboard Navy Seals. Nevermind emotions of fearing for your life, lives of others and your job and own family in less than a second. They love to sitback and analyze every single detail, even slow motion then form some pious opinion and take 20 minutes to let everyone know the righteous path that should have been taken...meh.

I've been robbed at gunpoint, attacked in Compton for just being white, hit with IED's. There was no time to think. Only react to a life and death situation. Both officers could not subdue him. Now he has a taser and shooting at them. He was also driving another weapon being a drunk driver.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Felony murder, no way they get that without the DA, and the Judge pulling some seriously shady stuff.

I do not understand the prosecution unless they are intending to blow the case.... for some reason.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

that is my read on it i dont see this sticking , i didnt know the bullets went through the guy into a civi vehicle so that is a big twist i hadnt seen brought up yet , and it probably wont help that the officers partner(a rookie) appears to be throwing him under the bus

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The officer's life was absolutely under threat.

Too bad he couldn't just "Shoot em int he leg" like Sleepy Joe Biden suggested.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
twitter.com... here is brooks doing some interview shortly before the incident i think may? talking about how he was on probation

www.youtube.com... its at wrong time stamp but here is the entire encounter and with this video i dont see them being able to prove their "he was never a danger to any one" when you can literally see him scuffling with the cops and taking their taser....

this DA is pandering hard core on the live stream complaining about him not being able to issue an indictment

due to the plague they have to wait tell january to even sign the indictment to take it to a grand jury and da is pissed about this ....so does that mean like are the cops even gonna be arrested or does it need to come from a judge still im pretty confused and normally i can follow this kind of thing pretty well

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The charges against the cop are ridiculous in my opinion after watching the video several times. I'm not buying the fight or flight argument as being the cause of all of these problems. In a lot that I've seen (granted they were on TV) it was not wanting to go to jail and when caught or subdued, the perp usually admitted that it was a stupid thing to do. "I have warrants", "I didn't want to go to jail" ,"I was drinking/on meth", etc. This goes back to taking responsibility for your actions. Don't take a cop's weapon, don't point it at them and don't pull the trigger. Taser or not.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That's part of my thoughts on shady stuff, if its a rookie they probably painted the darkest picture possible for them and they panicked and flipped, the video certainly doesn't support felony murder.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock

Pointless trying to explain timeframe and reaction time to the Keyboard Navy Seals. Nevermind emotions of fearing for your life, lives of others and your job and own family in less than a second. They love to sitback and analyze every single detail, even slow motion then form some pious opinion and take 20 minutes to let everyone know the righteous path that should have been taken...meh.

I've been robbed at gunpoint, attacked in Compton for just being white, hit with IED's. There was no time to think. Only react to a life and death situation. Both officers could not subdue him. Now he has a taser and shooting at them. He was also driving another weapon being a drunk driver.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join