It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rayshard Brooks charging decision today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Ok folks, what is it going to be?

To me this case is not clear cut like George Floyd.

In many cases a homeowner can't just shoot someone that is running away.

At the same time the officer can say he was in fear of his life.
I've seen attorneys on tv say because Rayshard used the taser on the officer that is enough
for the office to use deadly force. Something about the taser could disable the office, and the office had a gun so in essence
his life was reasonably in danger.

edit on 17-6-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
When will it be understood that you don't attack a cop that's trying to detain you for whatever legit reason? They don't know what's going on until they do some initial investigating, what's the problem with being an adult, acting calmly and obeying legal orders? I just don't understand why people do that. I didn't watch the video so I can't give an opinion on the shooting. But doggone it, a lot of people that aren't, have to start being responsible for their actions or it's going to get much worse. I've been pulled over several times, mostly in my teens and twenties and I had zero problems with the cops because I was polite and did what they asked. I also wasn't driving drunk or high, or just robbed a store or something idiotic like that.

I have no sympathy for criminals when they refuse to obey legal orders. None.

+3 more 
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It was a good shoot. When he took the taser and pointed it at the officer, he could have easily incapacitated the officer, taken his firearm, killed the officer and then anyone else he chose to kill. You simply don't do that (take any weapon from a LEO). Even the company that makes the taser said that shooting is a justifiable use of force in that situation. In fact, getting tazed can be fatal in itself in some circumstances.

This is from someone who was a LEO for decades, including being an FTO and Chief of Police.

If you look at the dude's history, I sure as s*** wouldn't want him running around with a taser or a gun. Battery plus felony cruelty--children.

turtleboysports.com... se-imprisonment-and-much-more/

link   

I'll repost this from just about a few days ago regarding this fiasco.

More Black Lives Splatter... Failed sobriety test, then grabs a cops taser and tries to use it on them? WTF? You're asking for one between the eyes. Failed attempt to fleece the hard working, law abiding, tax paying people in a civil dispute? Even for Atlanta this is low. Stop resisting arrest asshole!!!

I expect this cop to get off. But nothing surprises me anymore.

Either outcome it will be Burn Atlanta, Burn. Popcorn is ready to go.
edit on 17-6-2020 by UFO1414 because: Still hammered.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Was he just supposed to let him run off? That would have really made the public feel great. Or maybe it would. Rayshard could have posted a video online THANKING the officers and it could have been a big hullaballoo.

Who knows.

I don't foresee myself grabbing a taser from a cop and running from him. So... I'm not a good judge.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
When will it be understood that you don't attack a cop that's trying to detain you for whatever legit reason? They don't know what's going on until they do some initial investigating, what's the problem with being an adult, acting calmly and obeying legal orders? I just don't understand why people do that. I didn't watch the video so I can't give an opinion on the shooting. But doggone it, a lot of people that aren't, have to start being responsible for their actions or it's going to get much worse. I've been pulled over several times, mostly in my teens and twenties and I had zero problems with the cops because I was polite and did what they asked. I also wasn't driving drunk or high, or just robbed a store or something idiotic like that.

Me either.

I don't know how much of it is from horrible fear-mongering and how much of it is from flat-out stupidity.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Agree with your logic. The officer could not effectively pursue him as long as he had that taser. If he caught up with him, he could have been tased which would leave him open to having his gun taken and used on him or someone else. It's fair to say the officer had a reasonable belief that Rayshard was danger to him and/or the public.

I do wish there was some way to have subdued him without lethal force, but even then, it may have resulted in his death.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

I just don't understand why people do that.

Easy to understand, fight or flight, sometimes both.
People freak out sometimes and I personally don't think shooting them is the answer.
Should people follow orders, of course, should they DIE if they don't....

We had this conversation years ago and voila, a taser came into play.
Somehow that hasn't worked out too well. Maybe there is a new weapon in the works they haven't
released yet. Something like spider man webbing, or something that freezes you without tasing etc.
Maybe drones will shoot tranquilizers in the future.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I just don't understand why people do that.

Easy to understand, fight or flight, sometimes both.
People freak out sometimes and I personally don't think shooting them is the answer.
Should people follow orders, of course, should they DIE if they don't....

No. The answer is no, they absolutely should NOT.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
He took the tops taser and that could easily have allowed him to take the cops gun.

Cop did nothing wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41

originally posted by: HalWesten

Me either.

I don't know how much of it is from horrible fear-mongering and how much of it is from flat-out stupidity.

I think it's more of the latter myself. The saying that I hear years ago, "most criminals are dumb", is still an accurate statement today.

Hypothetically, if a person grabbed any weapon off a cop and pointed it at them I'm all in favor of "game on". If you choose to make a potentially life-changing decision like that you deserve the outcome. Jag's right, this is completely different from the Floyd case if the videos are showing us everything. In other words, the videos clearly show both situations pretty clearly and I believe this shooting was justified. I do not believe Floyd's death was justified in any way.

Two different cases, two different outcomes.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Officer Rolfe had extensive training in subdual and arrest, as well as deescalation.

He had a higher culpability than a member of the general public would have.

He was FIRED in less than 24 hours after the shooting.

So, either the APD/DA has reason or Officer Rolfe will be gettting a large settlement.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

This case is going to have much more far reaching consequences than George Floyd.
On on hand if the officer is justified, Atlanta and many cities will burn.

If the officer is charged, many police officers may leave, or protest themselves.

This is truly a no win situation.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Everyone is defending this murderer because of what could have happened, what may have happened if this or that had hypothetically happened.

Shot twice in the back. Murder.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Chauvin committed homicide, and I hope he gets punished severely. This cop did not; he was under a potentially mortal threat at that point.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

potentially mortal threat at that point.

That's the million dollar question.....

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This case is going to have much more far reaching consequences than George Floyd.
On on hand if the officer is justified, Atlanta and many cities will burn.

If the officer is charged, many police officers may leave, or protest themselves.

This is truly a no win situation.

They are already leaving.

I'll try not to smirk the next time something like an active shooter situation happens, the police are called and...wait. All of our tac teams have resigned.

Good luck.
edit on 17-6-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

a reply to: drussell41

potentially mortal threat at that point.

That's the million dollar question.....

Well, once someone has incapacitated you, it's a little too late to ask if he plans on putting one between your eyes and going on a killing spree.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I've seen attorneys on tv say because Rayshard used the taser on the officer that is enough
for the office to use deadly force. Something about the taser could disable the office, and the office had a gun so in essence

To go for , or touch a weapon of an officer of the law is a felony.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Fleeing Felon Rule
Brooks resisted arrest.
He assaulted an officer.
He stole a police officer's taser.
He pointed the taser at an officer.

People v. Couch[7] (1990) in the Michigan Supreme Court held that Tennessee v. Garner was civil rather than criminal action; did not affect Michigan's Fleeing Felon Rule; and that a citizen may use deadly force when restraining a fleeing felon in a criminal matter.

Even a citizen has the right to use deadly force against a fleeing felon.
edit on b000000302020-06-17T13:41:31-05:0001America/ChicagoWed, 17 Jun 2020 13:41:31 -0500100000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join