It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native American disrespect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This isn't a very important topic in light of heavy topics like the corona virus(covid-19). However, I thought this joe rogan clip was interesting. Why do we still have Columbus day and native american teams, like the Washington redskins? A name used in relation to the scalps of dead native Americans. www.esquire.com...

I think there is good and bad with the overall PC movement. It offers a chance to reexamine our cultural values. Something to think about if you're a bit tired of the virus coverage.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Tradition. And people don't like breaking it.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
No one who likes the Redskins thinks of scalping Indians. The envision the strength of Native American Braves. Is why one is their logo.

All bitching about this does is change the vision of native americans from strong brave warriors to whinny and thin skinned.

I'm pretty sure most native americans get that.

Oh and I'm not a fan I don't care about sports.
edit on 3/17/2020 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Literally 98% of us that are NA do not find offense in any of this crap............

Its a narrative pushed by predominately WHITE , Virtue-signaling idiots..........

And it needs to come to an end..........

What an Amazing place we live where we have to INVENT issues that dont exist........

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Im sure fans don't think of that, but no one is claiming the fans are racist. The name is offensive to native Americans and has a racist history.

Why not change it to something native Americans would support if the name of the sports team so desires to be native American related.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The local Marquette school team here is called the Redmen. They got the name from having red uniforms. Some people complained that it is because of native Americans, but it really isn't.

Now, if the teams sucked at sports, it might be bad vibes for the Indians, but they aren't that bad.

I think all this stuff is being blown up and twisted, our society is going to collapse if they keep doing stuff like this.

Who cares if a team is called the Redskins, that is the least the Indians should be worried about. If the team is doing good, they should be proud of having that name associated with them. If Redskins was a bad name, why would they name a team after it? Think about that.

People are blowing things up and causing chaos.

Indians do not have red skin in the first place, they mostly look tan. I have red skin when I get sunburnt.

edit on 17-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

No one who likes the Redskins thinks of scalping Indians.

And those of us that are NA laugh at this, because anyone who knows history, knows that we started the scalping trend to bring back to our elders to prove our worth in battle......

once again, idiots who either werent tought history, or were indoctrinated into something else dont know this, and those older generations with an agenda ignore it.

WE KNOW IT and for a long time we laughed about how white people took responsibility for it in all the movies etc.

Now its become a ridiculous thing no one seems to understand, thank you colleges who try and teach our own NA history who dont know wtf youre talking about.......

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

90% of native Americans are not offended by the Redskins. So why are you?

www.washingtonpost.com... 295f9a_story.html

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Because I don't think most native americans give a #, and am guessing more often than not, whether the origin is racist, many enjoy that they are respected as a source of strength by the fans of these teams.

I'm pretty sure few native americans are offended by loads of people thinking of them as a source of strength and inspiration or thinking of it as a bad thing despite the origins.

Stop trying to make a strong proud people into thin skinned weakling with easily hurt feels. It's patronizing as all hell.
edit on 3/17/2020 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Over privileged spoiled white people are the only ones offended by the Washington Redskins name.

Which just goes to show the racism of the snowflake sjws. They must think Native Americans are too dumb to be offended for themselves so they get offended for them because they think they know better.

Washington Post in their all knowing progressivism did a big ass survey of Native Americans on their opinion of the Redskins name thinking they were going to get handed the ultimate nail for the Skin's coffin and their virtue signaling would win the day!

Except they learned that actual Native Americans don't give a rat's ass about the name of a football team.

It's really similar to Obama's gun violence study that showed the opposite of what he was hoping for, so they pretended it never happened.

link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Indians do not have red skin in the first place, they mostly look tan. I have red skin when I get sunburnt.

Depends on the area youre native to.

Im Comanche, when I get tan, my skin is more of a reddish clay color than just tan........so thats not necessarily true.

link   

originally posted by: blueman12
This isn't a very important topic in light of heavy topics like the corona virus(covid-19). However, I thought this joe rogan clip was interesting. Why do we still have Columbus day and native american teams, like the Washington redskins? A name used in relation to the scalps of dead native Americans. www.esquire.com...

I think there is good and bad with the overall PC movement. It offers a chance to reexamine our cultural values. Something to think about if you're a bit tired of the virus coverage.

It is a name used in relation to the fierceness of our warriors.

Which included women warriors and chiefs, if that makes you virtue-signalling pussies feel any better.

I'm a Cherokee woman and quite proud of it.

Married to a Delaware/Shawnee.

Posts like this make me think we need to up-rise again and start taking coup in a very real way.

Because it's pretty obvious that our old enemies have gotten too weak to lead anything anymore.

edit on 17-3-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Hmm.. she claims NAs did raise complaints to the redskins..

Idk though.. How about Columbus day? That should at least be changed IMO.

edit on 17-3-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I'm aware. I'm aware that history has been horribly misrepresented by many.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Hmm.. she claims NAs did raise complaints to yhe redskins..

Idk though.. How about Columbus day? That should at least be changed IMO.

Yeah, SOME, but its just like any minority from any other group........

It doesnt represent the majority........but the left would have you believe its the majority and its a severe offense........

Its not..........

How about Columbus day? That should at least be changed IMO.

No, why should it be? He landed on the wrong freaking place anyway, for us its comical.......besides let people do their thing......we really really dont give a crap........

1. again being he didnt even land where he thougth he did

2. All cultures have their celebrations.......

3.Were NA , weve been here for a long long time, were not as fragile as what seems to be predominately white college students who cant handle the reality of the world.

We know what the reality is, and we really, REALLY dont care.......we live, and have lived through much worse.......
edit on 3/17/2020 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Because THEY LOST.

Sorry to be the one with the truth in your face.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

You know, I was having this discussion with a friend whose daughter gets all offended on behalf of transkids even though she's not one.

One thing about coronavirus - Maybe this generation will learn the difference between a real crisis and emergency and made up issues that they thought and were told were crises. Too bad they're learning the hard way what sorts of things are really important and impactful.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Mostly because they weren't a single people and many were actually at war with each other, or selling enemy tribes out to the white man. Real history is brutal, the noble savage is a myth, we're all humans in the end regardless of skin color.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

This is I think most true on this issue.

I know some NAs were offended about it, but it's mostly the PC, virtue signalling whites. They even put pressure on the Seminoles to change although the tribe itself works with the university to make sure the mascot is something they are more then proud of.

edit on 17-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Why don’t we desecrate every 18th and 19th century Native American burial grounds . Those evil Native Americans disrespected the Clovis peoples homeland.

It’s the same concept isn’t it ?

Of course it is .

Should we do it ?

Only if we were completely out of our minds .

Or a liberal with Taliban like tendencies .
edit on 17-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join